Gransnet forums

Gardening

Glorious Day, what are other Gransnetters doing in their Gardens?

(28 Posts)
DillytheGardener Sat 14-Sep-19 13:28:40

I'm excited to pick some lush, ripe and red to bursting tomatoes and trim my hedges. What is everyone else doing in their gardens to capitalise on the nice weather?

EllanVannin Sat 14-Sep-19 13:29:36

Hanging out washing.

Cabbie21 Sat 14-Sep-19 13:35:15

Just been hanging out washing and seen how overgrown the garden is. It is DH’s domain but he doesn’t get out there much. If he can’t cope, I wish he would get someone in to tackle it. Please don’t tell me to do it myself. I don’t get any help around the house, so the odd half hour once in a while is all I am prepared to do in the garden.
I have seven pears which I keep testing but they are not ready to pick yet.( the tree was pruned heavily last year so I wasn’t even expecting seven.)

lemongrove Sat 14-Sep-19 13:40:33

Picking ripe apples and also tomatoes, watering all pots and just going out there now to paint fences.A good dry sunny day to get it done.

tanith Sat 14-Sep-19 13:47:57

I've been emptying pots and trying to split some plants. Now I've got my book a cold drink and s tuna sarnie and intend on catching a few rays for the afternoon. A noisy children's birthday party with BBQ and bouncy castle will not deter me. Not many garden days left.

nanasam Sat 14-Sep-19 13:55:26

Last Night of The Proms tonight. We're having the family round for Proms in The Park in our garden so we've been busy decorating. We've got bunting and Union Jack flags all round the garden and hand flags and clappers ready for waving. SiL has brought round a screen and projector and the bbq is set up ready for hot dogs and burgers during the 'sensible' first half of the concert.
I sent a letter round to all the neighbours warning them about the loud and 'tuneful' singing and noise and said if they can't stand it, then come and join us! I'll see if I can take a photo.
It's also DGSs 18th birthday in a few days so we are celebrating that as well. Happy Birthday banners all round the fascias and a beautiful chocolate cake from DD in the fridge. Time to test the beer, methinks party

Beechnut Sat 14-Sep-19 14:04:55

I’ve been doing some weeding and trimming. Now I’m having a rest with a glass of water then I’m going for a shower, get something to eat, pour a G&T and enjoy a read in the sunshine. ☀️

nanasam Sat 14-Sep-19 14:26:36

Proms In The Park!

ninathenana Sat 14-Sep-19 15:25:47

Cabbie I read recently that pears don't ripen on the tree and that you should pick them when they come away from the tree easily and ripen them indoors.
Think it was Monty Don who wrote it.

M0nica Sat 14-Sep-19 15:30:50

Started with a walk around the local footpaths, when I picked a pound and a half of blackberries.

This afternoon we got out the chain saw and cut some wood then I spent the next hour bringing antiques stock from the shed at the end of the garden to the garage. A 100 feet each way, so plenty of opportunity to feel the sunshine and look at the gradually autumnal garden (and pick the last courgettes and some apples.

After my mid-afternoon cup of tea, I will go out the front garden and start the autumn tidy.

Lisagran Sat 14-Sep-19 15:36:08

Picking any apples that are ready, admiring the sedums, seeing what’s still flowering, counting the butterflies......

Lisagran Sat 14-Sep-19 15:38:58

MissAdventure Sat 14-Sep-19 15:39:22

nanasam

That sounds great fun! It looks lovely, too. smile

MiniMoon Sat 14-Sep-19 15:48:00

Lisagran, I love sedums, they remind me of our garden when I was a little girl.
DH says he likes them, but he's never grown them.
I am no gardener, it's DH's domain, if I started doing anything in it, it would just be wrong!

morethan2 Sat 14-Sep-19 16:07:06

I’ve just posted on another post but I’ll repeat my self I’m sitting in my south facing garden listening to Moria Stewart on classic FM, reading a book and any minute now sipping a pimms. Oh I love these last days of summer. sunshine and wine bliss

phoenix Sat 14-Sep-19 17:32:43

Dead heading my (ahem) prize winning hanging basket, plus the other one that I didn't bother to enter.

Moved some of the pots (my violas "Cloud Nine" did brilliantly for so long) from the front to the back, because they are no longer worthy of being seen blush

Still, I have had great value and joy from my tubs this year.

gillybob Sat 14-Sep-19 17:37:50

Well it started out quite nice this morning but has turned grey, cold and windy as the day has worn on . I did plan to do a bit of work in the garden today but my back is playing up and it’s rather cold anyway .

Really jealous of those enjoying September sunshine ☀️

MawB Sat 14-Sep-19 17:41:35

Sitting! smile ☀️☀️☀️

hillwalker70 Sat 14-Sep-19 17:47:31

Planting bulbs, deadheading, picking raspberries.

BlueBelle Sat 14-Sep-19 17:53:41

Always pick my pears green off the tree
I usually plant my bulbs in October so still weeding gathering seeds and cutting down dead wood. All my Nerines are starting to shoot up with buds
Done a line of washing
A beautiful day if it’s stays nice tomorrow off to the cemetery then on to the allotment I m now going to start sharing with an acquaintance it’s big with a path down the middle so
shell have one side I ll have the other

Charleygirl5 Sat 14-Sep-19 17:54:34

I hung out the washing early am and sat down to watch the weeds grow when there was some awful musak coming from another street so I went indoors after 5 minutes. No peace for the wicked.

Chewbacca Sat 14-Sep-19 18:31:25

My garden has been awful to access because of dangerously uneven and broken flags, roots from next door's cypress leylandii hedge and no doorstep. But today my new drive, path and patio has been laid and so I'm looking forward to being able to enjoy my garden now.

Doodle Sat 14-Sep-19 19:40:37

Sitting back and enjoying it now that the gardener has been and done all the work......no not wealthy just live in an apartment where someone else does the work ?

lemongrove Sat 14-Sep-19 19:51:16

Nanasam where was my invitation, lost in the post??
It looks lovely, hope you’re all having a good time at this very moment.wine
Am with you in spirit ( gin)???????????
We are watching at the moment, Proud Thames is being played.

BlueSapphire Sat 14-Sep-19 19:54:38

Cutting the grass, hanging out washing. Followed by a long read in the sun this afternoon with first an ice-cream and then a nice drink. Watching the cats enjoying the sunshine.