Gransnet forums

Gardening

Suggestions for winter planting, please!

(28 Posts)
phoenix Thu 03-Oct-19 16:52:16

Hello all,

Time to put away the tubs and pots that have done so well, however there is a cast iron beastie that is way too heavy to move!

It is currently home to an upright geranium, some fuschia, lobelia, ivy etc, but as it will have to stay put, I was hoping for some ideas for the rest of the year.

We are in North Devon, the "thing" is in a North facing position, and we do get some pretty strong winds.

Thank you.

midgey Thu 03-Oct-19 16:54:52

Pansies, dianthus and some spring bulbs. Maybe some heather?

phoenix Thu 03-Oct-19 17:00:17

Thank you midgey but not over keen on heather.

Pansies could be good though!

I'm thinking that the ivy could possibly be left in, so just need some other bits.

Gonegirl Thu 03-Oct-19 17:26:09

Nothing will last much longer. Put in a few bulbs and forget about it till Spring. Yeah, leave the ivy.

Norah Thu 03-Oct-19 18:00:41

Pansy plants, spring bulbs, pretty feathery limbs poked deep, spray painted white, silver and coppery.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 03-Oct-19 18:03:36

I have a north facing pot and I plant it with cyclamen and those red berry things as well as ivy.

So white red and green is the theme.

shysal Thu 03-Oct-19 18:22:55

I have planted some pots and baskets with hardy cyclamen, a little conifer and ivy, which are always much admired. Others have a little upright euonymous with trailing pansies. These will all survive wind, rain and frost, but I wish I knew what was eating the pansy flower buds.

My summer pots are still flowering like mad so the new pots are on loan to a neighbour who is selling her house!

I hope you find something you love.

phoenix Thu 03-Oct-19 18:38:38

Thank you all!

Hardy cyclamen could be an option, thanks shysal!

phoenix Thu 03-Oct-19 18:40:28

whitewave what do you mean by "those red berry things" confused

lemongrove Thu 03-Oct-19 18:40:52

Pansies do very well in North Devon.smile

Whitewavemark2 Thu 03-Oct-19 18:41:46

I’ll look them up?

Norah Thu 03-Oct-19 18:45:02

Winterberry?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 03-Oct-19 18:49:55

Solanum capsicastrum.
Winter cherries.

Another good one is

A large upright heather (no flowers just for foliage)
2 variegated hebes
Ivy
Cyclamen about 3-4

All of these can be underplanted with spring bulbs and in the spring I replace the cyclamen with primroses.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 03-Oct-19 18:50:53

norah probably known as winterberry as well

Coolgran65 Thu 03-Oct-19 18:55:58

When I was at the garden centre last year I looked again at pansies for winter bedding. An assistant offered help and advised to take the smaller violas as they withstand the onslaught of heavy rain so much better than the larger pansy bloom.
I took her advice and indeed there was no more of the blooms lying flat after the rain. The little viola heads were held up high every time.

phoenix Thu 03-Oct-19 18:56:41

Thanks all!

Have a bit of a problem with disposing of/chucking away plants at the end of the season, but also like to have something in the non moveable thing.

midgey Thu 03-Oct-19 19:24:49

Just thought, have you ever smelt Christmas box? Just amazing, really cheers you up.
www.rhs.org.uk/plants/16452/sarcococca-confusa/details

Whitewavemark2 Thu 03-Oct-19 19:38:06

Yes I have one in the garden, but it doesn’t flower until after Christmas in my garden.

I do have winter honeysuckle that flowers earlier as well as Daphne which flowers at Christmas.

All delicious.

dragonfly46 Fri 04-Oct-19 08:39:52

Winter cyclamen are always colourful and pretty.

Daisymae Fri 04-Oct-19 08:58:32

I have bronze and white pansies and viola, varigated ivy, a golden foliage plant, underplanted with miniature bulbs. Looking good now and will herald the spring too.

Resurgam123 Thu 10-Oct-19 19:39:00

I don't really like pansies.
Cyclamen do need a bit of time to get established. Primroses are lovely and at the moment they are flowering out of what should be the season.
Hellebores are good but they can be rather large.
If you start with primroses they can get out of hand and take over.
I find it very difficult to fill in empty space in a border. At the end of the season. I need some inspiration.

Luckygirl Fri 11-Oct-19 09:02:04

I have trays of violas ready to plant in wall baskets, but the summer flowers refuse to make way and are still blooming. As are the sweet peas!!!!

LadyGracie Fri 11-Oct-19 10:05:54

Pansies, polyanthus, heathers, cyclamen and bellis. Wallflowers and Sweet Williams also ready to plant.

toscalily Fri 11-Oct-19 10:06:41

I have planted up a largish pot with winter Cyclamen, unusual variety not seen before, white at the bottom and deep pink at the top like a pink frill. I want to Lidl this week and they were selling off Viola's, a bit past it poor things through lack of attention 2x24 for £2 so bought those then realised they would be best underplanted with bulbs so had to go to the garden centre to buy some Tete e Tete. So much for my bargain grin

LondonGranny Sun 20-Oct-19 10:13:37

I have winter-flowering honeysuckle (Lonicera fragrantissima). It's not a climber, it's a shrub. It's not particularly interesting although very useful upright foliage to bulk out a vase of flowers but the scent of the tiny winter flowers is divine.
Mine comes from a friend who gave me a stem and I shoved it in the ground and it rooted.