Gransnet forums

Gardening

Starved of gardening talk

(107 Posts)
b1zzle Sat 04-Jan-20 21:38:45

Could we have some gardening chat to see me through the lean months when the garden is at a standstill and there are no gardening programmes on the TV please? I feel totally deprived at the moment!

merlotgran Sat 04-Jan-20 21:42:55

Our snowdrops are peeking through. The standstill is about to end because the borders need clearing of winter debris.

Now, where are my fingerless gloves?? grin

lemongrove Sat 04-Jan-20 21:45:43

Why Not??
Spring bulbs coming through nicely, it’s so mild, primulas out now, the yellow ones ( pink ones seem to have vanished).
Thinking of which new shrubs to plant in April, and a new small rock garden.

Namsnanny Sat 04-Jan-20 22:03:34

Well bizzle how about we both post a few notes and observations based on the jobs and growth in the garden? smile others would be sure to join in along the way!

To start with I've been planting up some belated bulbs in pots.
Some white tulips with a layer of white scented daffs on top.

I thought I'd position them in a dull darker part of the garden to liven it up a bit.

No snowdrops showing yet, but the Jet Fire and Tete a tete narcissus in the garden are up about 4 inches.

Also I'm thinking of filling a window box with some Primroses, to give me something to look at for the next few weeks.

I've been watching the blackbird strip my horizontal Cotoneaster of it's berries from the sitting room window. I'm glad he comes everyday. I'll have to find another food source for him when the berries have all been eaten!

How about you, whats happening in your garden?

SueDonim Sat 04-Jan-20 22:13:39

I’ve got some paper whites and two lots of hyacinths ready to bring into the house when the decorations go tomorrow. I also bought a half price amaryllis. The main issue with them all will be stopping my wretched cats from eating them!

Outside, the bulbs in pots are poking through and the winter pansies have had flowers on them the entire time since I planted them. We’ve not had much frost despite being in the N of Scotland but there’s time yet for that.

Niobe Sat 04-Jan-20 22:23:48

Monty Don has a new series starting next Friday on BBC 2 about American gardens. I'm looking forward to it and I'm about to start to decide which roses to order from David Austin soon.

mcem Sat 04-Jan-20 22:30:44

May I ask for some advice please?
3.5 years ago I planted a young dwarf plum tree and it's done well.
Its upper branches have grown very tall and leggy so when should I cut these branches back. Probably should have been as soon as the plums were harvested.
Any comments please?

Callistemon Sat 04-Jan-20 22:41:22

Our winter flowering jasmine is looking lovely and some primroses and cyclamen I planted around the garden are flowering too.

The roses have buds so I need to get out there and give them a drastic prune.

We have a fairly new plum tree (2 years old?) mcem and DH has trimmed it gently because it was getting very leggy and a bit lopsided with one branch out to the side, but we're not really sure what to do for the best. It's still tall and leggy.

Callistemon Sat 04-Jan-20 22:44:58

RHS website says to prune plum trees in spring/early summer to avoid silver leaf disease.

I can't do a link on here but it was the first site to come up on Google.

Izabella Sat 04-Jan-20 23:28:22

I enjoyed dead heading yesterday in the evening sun until 8.30 listening to Bell Birds and Tui's. I do not relish the thought of returning to the northern hemisphere. We are surrounded by agapanthus, roses and butterflies etc. Wonderful.

Nannytopsy Sun 05-Jan-20 05:31:16

We moved 4 months ago to a garden without plants apart from straggly trees and tussocks grass. It is exciting, if daunting, to plan my new garden. I brought a lot of plants with me but I can’t start work until the tree surgeon has done his stuff and we have built some raised beds. Bought a very nice phormium half price though!

BBbevan Sun 05-Jan-20 05:35:10

I have a large hebe which needs pruning, so I am itching to get in the garden and tackle it.
Lots of bulbs peeking above the soil but everywhere here is so wet. Broad beans, planted in November are up and two tiny tree peonies I rescued show signs of survival. The birds are singing in the morning so not long now to longer days and more gardening.

BradfordLass72 Sun 05-Jan-20 06:43:01

It summer here, supposedly although only cool 65 degrees today, not what we expect at this time of year.

Mid-December is usually the time when everything flourishes and despite wind, rain and the fall-out from the Australian fires, the roses along my deck have done well.

They are Crepuscule, a lovely fragrant apricot-pink. Twining in among them is a climbing double geranium in vibrant cerise.

Because of the unseasonable cool, the tomatoes are only just in flower but I'm hoping the weather will improve (February is usually our hottest month except in El Nino years) and that will give them a boost.

Both tomatoes and roses love a good watering with Epsom Salts, about a cupful to 2-3 litres, every couple of months.

Other than that, I have a yellow Banksia Rose under my kitchen window, red and white pelargonium at the opposite side, a fig tree and anothe rose whose name I cannot remember but is a blueish pink and very, very fragrant.

The rest of my garden is in pots: Jasmine, rhubarb, some silver beet and potatoes but I fear as my eyes get worse, all this will have to go.
It's been hard work this year so I have to grasp the nettle (how's that for a gardening idiom? grin) and accept that it's getting beyond me.

The roses and the geraniums will stay but I shall give the others to good homes where they will be looked after.
I gave away my precious Kowhai tree in Spring but to a lady who loves her garden. It's repaid her by flowering profusely, bless it. smile

I live right next to native bush which grows up to my windows, so I can enjoy greenery all the time. Very few NZ species lose their leaves adn of course there are birds in the bush....not in my hand !

suzied Sun 05-Jan-20 06:44:42

My local Homebase has big bags of daffodils for 50 p. I spent a couple of hours yesterday planting them out. Will be interesting to see if and when they flower. Worth a £1 for the afternoons exercise in the winter sun. Did a little bit of sweeping up leaves, deadheading etc. Weather forecast for today is good too so am tempted to go back and buy another couple of bags.

ladymuck Sun 05-Jan-20 07:23:41

I planted the usual crocus in the autumn and they are just starting to poke through. Something was digging them up so I had to put netting on top.
I see my roses and aquifolium are not looking healthy. I think I shall have to replace them. I love browsing around the garden centre, so I'm glad of an excuse!

mcem Sun 05-Jan-20 09:11:32

Thank you callistemon. Will head to the website now!

Flossieturner Sun 05-Jan-20 09:12:34

I had a complete garden make-over 3 years ago. I wanted an easy to maintain garden that I could enjoy all year. As our living room is all glass at the back we look at it constantly. This is it in winter and spring

Callistemon Sun 05-Jan-20 09:19:26

Lovely FlossieTurner

mcem I'm pleased you asked about the plum tree because I told DH who said he was going to prune it today to try to shape it better.

Ellianne Sun 05-Jan-20 09:42:37

Good evening to several of those of you in NZ. I sewed some (tiny) Pohutukawa seeds last year from the Isles of Scilly but no luck germinating. I have a few left to try again. Any tips?

Fennel Sun 05-Jan-20 11:59:10

I noticed a few white things in our small back garden today - Some primulas, and the buds of a white hellebore.
www.springhillnursery.com/product/mollys-white-hellebore
It cheered me up!

Fennel Sun 05-Jan-20 12:00:59

ps also @Flossie - what a lovely garden, I wish ours was as neat as that.

grannymy Sun 05-Jan-20 14:31:13

I know longer have a garden and was delighted to see a container on my balcony with daffodil bulb tips sprouting through smile

3dognight Sun 05-Jan-20 15:03:46

The robin on the allotment is always nearby when I am over there mulching or picking winter kale. His red breast really stands out, and he comes so close when I'm digging.

As soon as I move away he is there having a rootle around!

Always lovely to see him and I greet him like an old friend.

SpringyChicken Sun 05-Jan-20 15:12:53

Our clematis buds are breaking- time to do the pruning perhaps.

Callistemon Sun 05-Jan-20 15:21:39

Ellianne
Use potting mix, cover very thinly.
Keep the seeds damp to wet (but not swimming) at a temperature of 18-20C in a 'tent' of polythene. Water at least once daily. I suppose you could use a propagator.
When they come through, remove polythene, reduce watering but use a seaweed fertiliser.
Transplant when they get 4-5 leaves.

Good luck!