Gransnet forums

Gardening

Indoor herbs

(33 Posts)
Gordonbennett Thu 16-Apr-20 16:13:08

I was given a lovely indoor ‘allotment’ from my son for Mother’s Day, it sits on the windowsill. I have used the soil plugs, and followed the instructions, sadly, nothing has happened in a week (am I being impatient?)

I am useless at anything like this, but I didn’t think there was enough soil from the plugs, so wanted to start over. Can I use soil from the garden, and what are the easiest herbs to grow?

Many thanks in advancesmile

Mags17 Sat 18-Apr-20 15:46:23

Just watched a video of someone taking cuttings from a smallish supermarket pot of basil. And then cuttings from the cuttings. Ended up 8 weeks later with about 12pots of Basil. Going to give this a try.

Callistemon Sat 18-Apr-20 16:04:58

I haven't had much luck with coriander either; is it an annual? It seems to grow leggy even if snipped.

Parsley is biennial so should come back next year, luckily mine has despite being left outside over the winter.

Some herbs have sent up green shoots, the tarragon, thyme (although that looks a bit sad at the moment) and the rosemary is flowering. However, the sage I grew from seed last year and planted in the groundd has died apart from one little sprig.

Grandmafrench Sat 18-Apr-20 16:32:22

Coriander is "the" most used herb in our house, possibly because we eat curry and a lot of spicy food. I think it's an annual, we have only grown from seed, but have found that even that can be a problem. Every year, I have found it's a nightmare to grow. Some important factors were unknown to us. We always complained that it "bolts" and gets terribly limp and leggy all of a sudden. Until last year we had no idea that you need to buy bolt-free varieties which are grown for their leaves. The other varieties, that bolt, you buy to grow for their seed, because once you have perhaps taken some leaves to use, the plant then goes into overdrive and you end up with almost no leaves, just seeds which dry out and are very useful as dried herbs. The plants don't need loads of water, but need not to dry out and they really dislike the heat. This was a surprise, as well, and is a difficult rule to stick to here in summer. So we tend to buy fresh plants or buy a bunch when we need it. Other herbs though grow very well. Last winter I lost 2 of my 3 different types of thyme. The remaining lemon thyme is a lovely bushy shrub which I cut hard back before the winter and which again looks very good. Chives are growing well and have big flower buds. One of the plants was a tired old thing I picked up in the supermarket when I needed chives and it was the only pot left. That is now a healthy plant in a tub in the garden. My neighbour grows the rosemary - a huge bush which mostly hangs over our drive. Each year I prune it carefully (with her agreement) and can always help myself; she has my permission to walk up my drive and "harvest the herbs" as she puts it! I honestly couldn't not grow herbs, once you know their funny little ways Gordonbennett, it's lovely to always have them there to use when cooking.

Stella14 Sat 18-Apr-20 17:40:40

I have tried growing Coriander on a warm patio, but have never been successful. This year I will keep it inside my conservatory. Most herbs, including Coriander are Mediterranean and don’t cope well with British Summer rain or our winds.

Most Seeds need heat to germinate. You can purchase little heated propagators. I use the heated floor in the conservatory. It’s rarely used because, after getting a smart meter, I learned just how expensive they are to run (very), but placing seed trays with covers, on it gives really good germination rates. So I do use it for this. Amongst other things, I am growing the herbs basil and Coriander from seeds. Both germinated, taking about a week.

Callistemon Sat 18-Apr-20 18:17:28

I grow several herbs but have resorted to using dried coriander (Schwartz) blush

Grandmafrench Sat 18-Apr-20 23:32:29

Great idea...works every time! grin

Gordonbennett Sun 19-Apr-20 06:48:25

Thanks for all your advicesmile