Gransnet forums

Gardening

garden? what garden ?

(55 Posts)
biba70 Tue 01-Dec-20 12:38:00

Right on cue, 1st of December- woke up to 25cm of snow- been shovelling for a couple of hours, and still coming down apace. Garden all covered with its white blanket - but it will be back , in about 4 months time smile

vampirequeen Tue 01-Dec-20 14:22:36

Oh no. Where are you? What a nightmare.

Summerlove Tue 01-Dec-20 14:29:46

That sounds like bliss to me lol

midgey Tue 01-Dec-20 14:30:55

First day of winter.....right on cue!

JackyB Tue 01-Dec-20 15:21:53

We woke up to snow, too (central Europe) but it wasn't deep, soon melted and continued as rain.

Lucretzia Tue 01-Dec-20 15:23:41

Gosh, that sounds lovely, biba70!

Where are you?

Whitewavemark2 Tue 01-Dec-20 16:25:35

biba70

Right on cue, 1st of December- woke up to 25cm of snow- been shovelling for a couple of hours, and still coming down apace. Garden all covered with its white blanket - but it will be back , in about 4 months time smile

I love Switzerland

vampirequeen Wed 02-Dec-20 09:40:37

It would be my idea of hell. I hate snow. It's very pretty to look at and can appear quite magical but in reality it's cold, wet and soon turns to slushy dirty ice.

Gwyneth Wed 02-Dec-20 09:47:52

I’m sure it looks beautiful. Would so love a white Christmas in the UK .

Elusivebutterfly Wed 02-Dec-20 12:43:35

The forecast is for snow in the south of England on Friday. I will definitely be staying in.

biba70 Fri 04-Dec-20 13:40:38

Tons and tons more - I gave up trying to drive down the Valley.

Lucretzia, I am in the Jura mountains of French speaking Switzerland, VERY close to the French border.

biba70 Fri 04-Dec-20 15:21:58

even ths snow blower gave up - so by hand it had to be done. I always forget just how huge the back drive is. The snow blow has been for the road in front- and of course dropped a huge wall of the stuff at the entrance to our drive. Wood burner on, cuppa and dark chocolate digestives pheeew.

I cut all the perrenials from this cottage garden- but left the sedums as they still looked nice. Now very pretty covered with snow hats- will leave them now till Spring smile

GrannyGravy13 Fri 04-Dec-20 16:12:08

Sounds beautiful to me, I love snow one of our favourite ski resorts is Avoriaz and we ski into Switzerland is that near you biba70 ?

biba70 Sat 05-Dec-20 14:51:38

we are in the Jura, and Avoriaz is the French side of Portes du Soleil. So yes, and no. I used to take ski trips for students, friends and family to the Swiss side of Portes du Soleil, and we used to ski over the French side, Chapelle d'Abondance, Châtel and yes, over to Avoriaz- with the challenging return via the huge bumps' fields of Pas de Chavanette!

I know that area very well- and it is lovey in Summer too. Will probably be over there, but in Champéry, on Swiss side, for OH's 75th. My 70th is booked in another resort in the 4Vallées- ski in, ski out, with spa. We have smaller resorts here on both French and Swiss side- but are probably more famous for cross country skiing- half way on the GTJ- Grande Traversée du Jura. Our local French resort is Métabief/Mt d'Or if you want to Google it.

The Portes du Soleil access if about 1.30 mins from here.

Esspee Sat 05-Dec-20 15:26:07

I have suggested before that we should have a little national flag next to our user name. It would help with threads like this where the first question has to be “Where are you?”

biba70 Sat 05-Dec-20 15:32:06

I lived in the UK 40 years - and got British nationality in 1973. OH was born in Cape Town, but spent all his life in UK from age of two.

biba70 Sat 05-Dec-20 15:34:04

and we still very much have 1 foot in the UK.

FannyCornforth Sat 05-Dec-20 15:41:24

biba wow, it sounds so glamorous!
tchsmile

FannyCornforth Sat 05-Dec-20 15:42:48

Esspee

I have suggested before that we should have a little national flag next to our user name. It would help with threads like this where the first question has to be “Where are you?”

I think that I would feel compelled to make something up!
Or change it every month...

biba70 Sat 05-Dec-20 16:57:52

very rural here, no glamour whatsoever- just as I like it smile

FannyCornforth Sat 05-Dec-20 16:59:49

Sounds beautiful biba.

biba70 Sat 05-Dec-20 17:25:22

if I have to open the B&B next year - I wonder if any of you will come? One more room to decorate - but the large room with massive 4 poster is ready, so is one other double bedroom with KS bed, and the big Italian style shower room. One more to go- just need to get motivated - lots of preparation, filling, sanding to do- not just painting- and parquet to sand. See how it goes.

biba70 Sat 05-Dec-20 17:26:29

lol- I can guess who will not, for sure ;)

NotTooOld Sat 05-Dec-20 17:34:56

biba - are you one of those chateau owners we see on Escape to the Chateau? grin

MamaCaz Sat 05-Dec-20 17:36:20

Someone needs to tell my wallflowers that it's winter.

I bought them in the autumn last year. They were tiny and decided that they weren't ready to put in an appearance this spring, but don't seem prepared to wait till next spring either - they have been flowering for the last month!

A bit of snow here might just re-set their clocks, but none on the horizon for us just yet.