Gransnet forums

Gardening

garden? what garden ?

(56 Posts)
biba70 Tue 01-Dec-20 12:38:00

Right on cue, 1st of December- woke up to 25cm of snow- been shovelling for a couple of hours, and still coming down apace. Garden all covered with its white blanket - but it will be back , in about 4 months time smile

Callistemon Tue 08-Dec-20 10:20:00

So I don’t think we can blame Brexit for everything do you?

Of course not; that is a recent development and has not had such an impact as that of the Swiss Franc's growing strength over the years against other currencies too.

Over the past 15 years, the Swiss franc has increased in value substantially against both the US dollar and the euro. In recent years, factors such as the European debt crisis and accommodative monetary policy from the US Federal Reserve have boosted the franc.

Currencies trade in pairs, so they are strong or weak in relation to another currency. The European debt crisis caused investors to seek safe haven in the Swiss franc and loose monetary policy diminished the appeal of the US dollar.

The dramatic surge in the Swiss franc in 2015 was due primarily to one key event early in the year. On January 15, the Swiss National Bank (SNB) unexpectedly removed the peg of 1.20 francs per euro. In the initial reaction to the news, the Swiss franc rallied a massive 30% versus the euro and 25% against the US dollar. The move caused major upheaval in the markets and even forced some foreign exchange brokers out of business

Investopedia June 2019

Anyway, enough womansplaining from me, but I hope this helps.

biba70 Tue 08-Dec-20 10:30:49

I have never claimed Brexit is the sole reason for the vast drop in exchange rates- never. And always said some factors pushed one up, and the other, down - increasing the differential.

But the Brexit factor has made this much worse, there is no doubt or question. A No Deal would probably push us towards parity, which would indeed be the last straw.

Neither of those factors could be expected and planned for.

I did not complain- someone told me I was made to consider going back to work at 70 and 75- and I just replied that I may well not have the choice.

Another gorgeous day- winter wonderland. I shall go and play in the big garden beyond...

biba70 Tue 08-Dec-20 13:53:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

biba70 Tue 08-Dec-20 13:55:18

not sure how this ended up here- it was meant for the News and Politics Forum, not here. Perhaps kind Mods could move this?

biba70 Sun 13-Dec-20 10:57:37

2 grey, damp days- but today is a winter wonderland again, all snowy, sparkly and sunny.

So logging off GN and off for a great walk with OH and doggie up in the mountains behind - pheew.