Gransnet forums

Gardening

Spring on its way!

(45 Posts)
Lisagran Wed 17-Feb-21 09:54:19

Spring is definitely trying hard to push through here smile

annodomini Sat 20-Feb-21 10:56:11

My Cornus Mas. It's covered with tiny yellow flowers which usually last for over a month and it's a blaze of colour in the garden. It's a very large shrub, too big at the moment and I am waiting to have it trimmed to a manageable size.

muse Sat 20-Feb-21 10:56:21

Same here Amberone. If I took any photographs, I'd struggle to find any ground that is not waterlogged. Only gardening I've done is in my polytunnel. The snowdrops are strong little plants and have survived the rain battering them. I have one daffodil that's almost open.

My husband's lived in our patch of Cornwall for nearly 50 years and never known a winter so wet. It's raining again now.

My daughter bought me some mini irises for my birthday. They are now through but I nearly missed them. They are flat on the ground. Sorry to be such a misery but I'm really fed up with the mud and mess here. That's clay soil for you. I've don all I can to get some drainage into the soil but almost continual rain this year is washing much of it away.

Seeds have all arrived but I don't start to do anything with them until well into March. Hoping for lots of sunshine sunshine sunshine before then.

BigBertha1 Sat 20-Feb-21 10:58:17

We planted three trees in our new garden yesterday and a couple of shrubs. Sadly its very heavy clay so we will have to wait and see. Lots of well rotted manure dug in so we hope for the best but expect a few failures.

Lisagran Wed 24-Feb-21 09:32:54

Bought a new wooden planter yesterday to go by the front door. It’s still indoors at the moment, as no peat free compost available yesterday. It’s pretty much the same colour as the door.

rafichagran Wed 24-Feb-21 09:40:45

Lovely photo's this has cheered me up.

Roses Wed 24-Feb-21 09:45:07

I planted my begonia corms in pots yesterday so now every morning I can go in the conservatory to see if there are any pink shoots. Simple pleasures

This year I'm going to grow micro greens ,you get quick results and they are good for you

Puzzler61 Wed 24-Feb-21 09:51:02

My DH gave the trees a wash (to ward off woolly aphids) so I know Spring is on the way.
The first bulbs to come out are these little tete-a-tete’s.
The larger varieties of daffs will follow .....?

Lisagran Wed 24-Feb-21 09:57:36

I love Tête-à-tête daffodils. We had little pots of them on the tables in the barn at daughter’s wedding. Several planted in our garden now smile

Puzzler61 Wed 24-Feb-21 10:04:02

They look fab Lisa prettily tied with a bow on brown paper.
They are hardy little chaps - even the strong winds of the past 48 hours haven’t spoilt them.

shysal Wed 24-Feb-21 10:14:42

Spotted blackthorn in flower in the hedgerows this morning. The mild weather is bring things on in leaps and bounds.

tanith Wed 24-Feb-21 10:38:08

I took a couple of pics too i love Tete a Tete. Brought a few Hellebore flowers in I think that one is 'Merlin'

Lisagran Thu 25-Feb-21 14:54:26

Pretty Hellebore, tanith. A lot of them don’t last long as cut flowers, though, do they?
I’ve been pottering in the garden today as it was sunny here, though still chilly.

lemongrove Thu 25-Feb-21 16:28:19

Nice new planter Lisa and is that a Viburnum ‘Spirit’ you have in it?
Tete a tete’s out in my pots here, and all the croci? In the garden, mainly purple but a few slightly stripey blue as well.

lemongrove Thu 25-Feb-21 16:29:44

tanith that’s a lovely Hellebore.?

Lisagran Thu 25-Feb-21 18:47:41

It’s a Viburnum Tinus, lemongrove

Jaxjacky Thu 25-Feb-21 18:57:31

Ground still wet here and possible frost, South Hants, pleased there’s nothing at risk. It’s so difficult this time of year when fingers are itching to sow, experience says to wait.

Lisagran Mon 01-Mar-21 20:39:27

Spring definitely appearing in our local country park

foxie48 Sun 07-Mar-21 17:32:20

Spring is definitely in the air, I've done a bit of weeding in the sunshine this weekend and the tubs in my courtyard are coming into bloom.

Greyduster Sun 07-Mar-21 18:22:52

Out in the hedgerow, celandines. Wood anemones to follow soon.