Gransnet forums

Gardening

This was bought as a hollyhock.

(77 Posts)
shysal Tue 11-May-21 15:29:42

I purchased three of these plants from Ebay a while ago, supposed to be hollyhocks. One has just come into flower. Does anyone know what it is please? A plant finder app came up with no results. The flower is a brighter purple than the picture.

MiniMoon Tue 11-May-21 15:41:06

Sorry shysal DH and I have no idea. The leaves look a bit mint like. Have you tried rubbing the leaves to see if they exude any fragrance?
Its definitely not a hollyhock!

grandMattie Tue 11-May-21 15:45:05

You were sold a pup! Absolutely not hollyhock.

Jaxjacky Tue 11-May-21 15:46:54

My app has it as a heart leafed valerian.

shysal Tue 11-May-21 16:27:12

MiniMoon, there is no scent, and the leaves are the size of my hand, rounded at the base of the plant, but getting more pointed towards the tip.

Jaxjacky, I know heart leaved Valerian and it is not that!

B9exchange Tue 11-May-21 17:07:43

Mine came up with perennial honesty, not sure if that is right?

MaizieD Tue 11-May-21 17:11:28

No, It's not Honesty. That grows about 2'6" -3' high and has a long stem with flowers all down it, shaped like cabbage flowers. I have white and purple.

MaizieD Tue 11-May-21 17:12:50

It doesn't look at all familiar.

Daisymae Tue 11-May-21 17:19:08

Looks a bit like a weed. Sorry. I have bought plants from ebay and not had any problem. Think you have been sold a pup.

EllanVannin Tue 11-May-21 17:36:38

Not sure but I think the flower is a tall one. I seem to think that I've seen this plant in full growth. Similar to the delphinium flower.

grannylyn65 Tue 11-May-21 17:48:01

Ain’t no ollyock ?

EllanVannin Tue 11-May-21 18:11:03

It's very much like a plant called bears breeches. Wait and see what the flower's like.

Shrub Tue 11-May-21 19:24:52

The flower bud reminds me of Eupatorium, but I can’t be sure.
I’m afraid I would never buy plants from EBay, you can never be certain what they are or where they came from, or whether they have proper phytosanitary certificates. There are plenty of reputable nurseries around that need our custom.

BlueBelle Tue 11-May-21 19:32:20

I bought a blue rose off one of the well known catalogues, that come through my letterbox. It didn’t flower the first year which I didn’t expect it to, then the second year my beautiful blue rose came through as a common and garden wild white rambling rose, but by that time I d no idea which catalogue
I d bought it off, so I ve still got it But a huge disappointment
Sorry I don’t recognise your picture looks pretty though

Callistemon Tue 11-May-21 20:11:16

I'd work on a wait and see basis.

It could be something rare and exotic
Or a weed.

We've bought a few things from reputable garden centres which have proved to be different from the labels.

25Avalon Tue 11-May-21 21:09:41

Doesn’t look like Bear’s Breeches to me. They are a darker green with a more serrated leaf and are prickly.

Callistemon Tue 11-May-21 22:15:28

Young hollyhock leaves do look a bit like that - perhaps the flower stalk will shoot up?

I've never managed to grow them though, so I'm not sure.

Casdon Tue 11-May-21 22:17:42

It might be a Lamium, this is Lamium Orvala? If it is the flowe head has the leaves in it, then it keeps growing flowerheads like a tower.

Callistemon Tue 11-May-21 22:21:17

Young hollyhock leaves:

shysal Wed 12-May-21 08:12:18

The leaves when I received them did look like hollyhocks but were a bit thinner and glossier that others I have. My others vary in shape from Callistemon's pic to these. I can't seem to get them to continue year after year, nor do the thousands of seeds I have scattered germinate.
I have the same problem with foxgloves.

Lovetopaint037 Wed 12-May-21 10:06:27

I don’t think it is bears britches as they have sharp edges to the leaves and are quite distinctive.

Jilly2018 Thu 13-May-21 10:41:36

Hedge-leaved Adenostyle a herbaceous perennial

Danma Thu 13-May-21 10:43:22

Found this on Google photos.
Is it any help ?

Battersea1971 Thu 13-May-21 10:58:11

It doesnt look like Hollyhocks. There is a gardening site on Facebook, with some very knowledgeable gardeners. If you put a picture on there Im sure somebody will know. There was a posting on there recently from somebody who had bought seeds from ebay, i forget what they were meant to be but they looked like carrot tops. They were saying you should only buy from reputable companies such as Sarah Raven. So you can be sure they are what they say they are.

Canklekitten Thu 13-May-21 10:58:32

A weed?