Gransnet forums

Gardening

Garden Compost

(32 Posts)
Esspee Tue 18-May-21 08:30:36

I have bought the same Verve compost from B&Q for many, many years but this year it looks very different and I am unhappy with it.
I planted seed in it and a grey cobwebby film coated the surface of the seed tray. I have used it up in tubs mixing it with the remnants of last year’s and my homemade compost so now need to buy more.
I am hoping that some other keen gardeners will be able to recommend a product to replace my once favourite general purpose compost.

Esspee Wed 19-May-21 06:58:27

Coffee grounds are good for digging into garden soil too rubysong. Many coffee shops and Waitrose are happy to recycle this waste by giving it to customers.

Washerwoman Sun 23-May-21 22:31:56

I have just ordered some more Westlands New Horizon peat free.It is all I will use now. And everything seems to thrive.I use liquid seaweed to feed extra hungry plants.I wish the garden centres would hurry up relaxing or at products faster.

Thebeeb Sun 23-May-21 23:05:01

My usual is Miracle Gro but I was really disappointed this year. It just wasn’t the same with lots of twigs and bark in and a kind of white mould. Challenged them about it but didn’t get anywhere. Seeds and plants not as good looking and healthy as they usually are. Very disappointed.

FlexibleFriend Mon 24-May-21 12:49:28

I used Verve this year and its a bit peculiar with lots of sticks and bits that look like wool. None of the seeds planted germinated although I got lots of mushrooms /toadstools. The plug plants seem to be ok. It's far to lumpy and I will avoid it in the future.

MaizieD Mon 24-May-21 12:55:17

FlexibleFriend

I used Verve this year and its a bit peculiar with lots of sticks and bits that look like wool. None of the seeds planted germinated although I got lots of mushrooms /toadstools. The plug plants seem to be ok. It's far to lumpy and I will avoid it in the future.

It must have been a different batch from the ones I bought. Mine has been absolutely fine. Seeds germinated, young plants growing on as they should. Absolutely no sign of fungi.

I think that those of you who have had problems should complain to B & Q about it.

NotSpaghetti Mon 24-May-21 13:21:34

Compost does sometimes have wool in it. I think you can actually buy "wool compost".