Gransnet forums

Gardening

On a lighter note….Gardeners World returns tonight.

(82 Posts)
merlotgran Fri 11-Mar-22 09:19:49

And I cannot wait!

Just as in the first Lockdown, Monty’s calming presence, beautiful garden and lovely dogs should help to raise our spirits.

I was without a garden for six months of last year so now I’m raring to go in my new one.

Looking at the weather it won’t be today though. ?

TillyTrotter Sat 12-Mar-22 10:31:06

I found it poignant too winterwhite
I’m wearing my Ukrainian pin brooch with pride and solidarity.

BigBertha1 Sat 12-Mar-22 10:31:12

I only caught the end of the program last night so will have to catch up but who was the hunky gardener with a bran in a field?

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 12-Mar-22 10:35:30

Do you mean that chap with flowers all round his house? Don't know but not my idea of hunky!

TillyTrotter Sat 12-Mar-22 11:02:22

If it’s the one with the denim dungarees on, he wasn’t my idea of a hunk either … but we are all attracted to different folk.

Mapleleaf Sat 12-Mar-22 11:28:10

It was a lovely episode last night, I thought. So calming.
Yes, I noticed the touches of yellow and blue (even though there’s an abundance of these colours in spring, I still felt a sense of support was there).

Kalu Sat 12-Mar-22 12:10:16

So happy Monty is back.

Gardening has been a joy for me over the years. Years of free therapy and joy watching, especially at this time of year, the garden come back to life. Unfortunately I no longer have the energy to do all I want to do but sitting comfortably watching Monty get on with it and listening to his soothing voice is such a pleasure.

Thanks for letting us know he is back Merlot. A treat for me later on this afternoon as I missed last night’s viewing.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 12-Mar-22 12:14:30

I’ve planted my Coum and hederafolia cyclamen together. I’ll have to dig them up again. ?

Casdon Sat 12-Mar-22 12:19:38

I’ve sown my rudbeckia this morning as Monty said. I also wasn’t aware that coffee grounds make your hydrangeas go purple, it does make sense but I hadn’t made the connection, so I’ve set aside a plant pot for the grounds too. I learn something every week.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 12-Mar-22 12:37:03

My problem is that as I get more and more ancient, I have to balance time with enjoyment.

So I now tend to buy mature perennials rather than wait for them to reach their full potential when I might have shuffled off.

Tina49 Sat 12-Mar-22 13:13:26

winterwhite

Anyone else notice the subtle Ukrainian flag? Sowing seeds of perennials, one box delphiniums one box rudbeckia, picture of a border of delphiniums with one of rudbeckia directly beneath. Left on screen for a second or two, no words spoken.
Very moving, well I thought so anyway.

Yes, Monty mentioned Ukraine on his Instagram recently

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 12-Mar-22 18:12:45

There tend to be a lot of yellow and blue flowers at this time of year. I don't read anything into that. The bulbs were planted last autumn.

Josieann Sat 12-Mar-22 18:15:42

When our first son was born nearly 40 years ago, DH remarked how hard it was for the florist to come up with a blue floral arrangement for a (September) boy! Now you see blue everywhere.

Fennel Sat 12-Mar-22 21:03:14

We planted winter pansies and they're all blue or yellow. or white. never red or orange - they seem to come later.

honeyrose Sat 12-Mar-22 21:50:46

Love GW - I hadn’t realised it was back on. So relaxing - it feels like a soak in a warm, bubble bath to me! Such a wonderful, therapeutic programme to watch whilst the world around us seems to be falling apart. Thank you, Monty Don and team.

Fennel Sat 12-Mar-22 23:00:10

That's the best thing about gardening (apart from Monty).
In spite of the awful problems this world throws at us, Nature keeps on repeating her cycle of recreation.
Unless we interfere with that too.

singingnutty Sat 12-Mar-22 23:19:06

I am pleased that GW is now an hour. The videos from viewers are brilliant and I think reflect the increase of interest in gardening particularly during the first lockdown. Hurrah for something everyone can take part in, even if it’s only a window box, plants on a balcony, or house plants.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 13-Mar-22 07:01:25

Germanshepherdsmum

There tend to be a lot of yellow and blue flowers at this time of year. I don't read anything into that. The bulbs were planted last autumn.

No you are wrong about that.

Monty tweeted his support for Ukraine with those flowers.

The seeds he sowed reflected the colours as well.

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 13-Mar-22 07:33:58

There are a lot of yellow and blue flowers at this time of year, growing from bulbs planted last autumn or previous autumns. Monty always has a display of miniature daffodils and blue irises on his table on GW, every year. I’m talking about GW, I don’t follow Twitter.

Kim19 Sun 13-Mar-22 09:14:09

Love this programme. So calming, interesting and informative. Have to say I thought the twee and cute wee dog was totally out of kilter with MD image. Tin hat firmly on!

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 13-Mar-22 09:20:48

I was a bit surprised when Patti came along as I’d always seen Monty as a ‘bigger dog’ person. I haven’t really taken to her, still miss Nigel.

Esmay Sun 13-Mar-22 09:30:33

Sheer bliss !

b1zzle Sun 13-Mar-22 12:56:21

Although I've watched ~GW through the years (remember Geoff Hamilton?) I must admit I prefer Adam Frost's delivery to MD, but then that's just my personal opinion. Can't say I'm too keen on the viewers' gardens either and would appreciate maybe half an hour of good, solid gardening talk followed by the viewers' contributions so I could be selective. And oh, if only we could all have a 'Jewel Garden', a 'Spring Garden' and a 'Damp Garden' ...

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 13-Mar-22 12:59:26

Yes, if only. I wonder what the spring garden is like the rest of the year?

J52 Sun 13-Mar-22 13:42:21

winterwhite

Anyone else notice the subtle Ukrainian flag? Sowing seeds of perennials, one box delphiniums one box rudbeckia, picture of a border of delphiniums with one of rudbeckia directly beneath. Left on screen for a second or two, no words spoken.
Very moving, well I thought so anyway.

He also laid his seed packets out with the pictures in the format of the Ukrainian flag.

coastalgran Sun 13-Mar-22 14:07:51

I loved the section on Camellias but some of the other bits were a bit bland. I could have done with a bit more of the cheerful things for Spring and I never even noticed the connection to Ukraine because I am not a lover of rudbeckia, whereas if he had done daffodils, hyacinth or muscari in a lovely container then I would have got it Even if there had been a reflective moment of a woodland garden with daffs/hyacinth/scillas that would have been great. I used to be glued to the programme, next week I want to see what he does about creating a bog garden as I am trying to create on in the new garden.