Gransnet forums

Gardening

Memorial tree ideas please

(38 Posts)
Kate54 Fri 25-Mar-22 08:30:37

One of the Good Morningers is planting a quince tree in memory of her son.
We’d like to do the same, ideally in a dull part of the front/side lawn.
South west facing, soil not much good. Would love a magnolia but unsure of requirements. Quince sounds pretty but not sure we want the fruit!
Any ideas?

Greyduster Fri 25-Mar-22 08:37:57

If your site got any sun at all I would suggest a Himalayan cherry; when the bark peels and the sun catches it, it’s beautiful. Flowers too, mid to late spring.

Woodmouse Fri 25-Mar-22 08:45:09

I would always go for a native tree so would pick a Rowan which in folklore is known as The Mothering Tree, said to protect those who plant it and have it close to their homes.

NotSpaghetti Fri 25-Mar-22 08:50:10

Have a look at prunus serrula. It's got THE most beautiful bark.

Kate54 Fri 25-Mar-22 08:55:02

Many thanks so far! When I said dull, I meant there was nothing in it apart from some lavender at one side (adjoining a small driveway). I love the idea of the rowan being a mothering tree. Don’t want anything that gets too big though.

giulia Fri 25-Mar-22 10:18:23

If you would like a conifer, how about a picea glauca conica: does not grow higher than 2.5m. You can decorate it at Christmas as an outdoor Christmas tree.

grandMattie Fri 25-Mar-22 10:24:20

I chose the quince because Philip enjoyed the jelly. For my mother, I chose a tree which is pretty in the spring and autumn, an auronia.
Another successful tree is the Liquidamber. It has the most glorious scarlet maple shaped leaves in autumn. It doesn’t grow too big, has interesting bark and would look lovely with your lavender.

JaneJudge Fri 25-Mar-22 10:25:35

How about an olive tree in a big terracotta pot? It is the tree of peace smile

shysal Fri 25-Mar-22 13:18:43

I agree that a Himalayan cherry, preferably multi-stemmed, would be very attractive. The red bark is beautiful.

The TV gardeners often choose to use Amelanchier which has attractive new foliage, early blossom, berries and autumn colour so interest for most of the year.

Casdon Fri 25-Mar-22 13:27:18

I’d go for a malus, variety Sun Rival I think, because it has everything - beautiful blossom, autumn colour, and crab apples that stay on the tree all year.

Libman Fri 25-Mar-22 13:29:56

Rowan trees are lovely but they can get very tall..

These are pretty and can be grown in a large pot or pruned to keep them small.
Flamingo Willow Salix Integra Hakuro Nishiki

MiniMoon Fri 25-Mar-22 14:25:38

I would go for one of our native trees or shrubs. Wild cherry, hazel, or a holly tree.
If you'd like a shrub, what about dogwood.

MiniMoon Fri 25-Mar-22 14:26:17

I meant to add crab apple.

Esmay Fri 25-Mar-22 16:50:02

Shysal recommends an
Amelanchier .

I echo her recommendation .

It's a wonderful little tree - actually part of the rose family and most species come from North Anerica .

It has about 20 species

I planted one as I wanted to fill a gap and it's the only tree that my endlessly complaining about my trees/birds nesting in them neighbour likes .

I planted it about 25 years ago .
It produces pretty white flowers, is slow growing and undemanding .

Kate54 Fri 25-Mar-22 19:33:49

Gosh, thanks everyone. grandMattie apologies for hijacking your idea from another thread, one which I read daily but generally don’t contribute to, mostly because our ‘doings’ certainly of late would bring the mood down somewhat. Suffice to say, we are going through what you have been through. I love the quince jelly connection by the way.

midgey Fri 25-Mar-22 19:42:01

How about a winter flowering cherry?

Davida1968 Sun 27-Mar-22 10:34:36

Like Woodmouse I recommend a Rowan. It's a native tree and (I understand) is one of the best that can be planted to support wildlife. A wonderful tree as a memorial?

elleks Sun 27-Mar-22 10:36:51

Libman

Rowan trees are lovely but they can get very tall..

These are pretty and can be grown in a large pot or pruned to keep them small.
Flamingo Willow Salix Integra Hakuro Nishiki

yougarden.com have these for £14.99 at present. www.yougarden.com/item-p-510919/salix-integra-hakuro-nishiki-flamingo-willow-bush

pat9 Sun 27-Mar-22 10:53:54

How about a cornus? My mother had a cornus capitata and it had lovely white flowers followed by red strawberry-like fruit.
There are other cornus. One I think is called the wedding cake tree because it has its branches in layers. Think it might be Cornis controversa. Most seem to grow to about 20 feet max.

Davida1968 Sun 27-Mar-22 11:11:22

Sadly some of the "fancier" species of trees and shrubs, offer no "value" to British wildlife. Just saying....

gillgran Sun 27-Mar-22 11:22:05

A lovely idea to have a memorial tree in your garden, especially when you choose one with a special meaning for you & your loved ones.

In 2000/01 we planted a pretty little (purple flowering) Magnolia, in memory of my sister who died in March 2000, it's coming into flower now, a rather large tree now! but it warms my heart. flowers

greenlady102 Sun 27-Mar-22 11:42:41

I'd go amelanchier. Happy pretty much anywhere and all year round interest. Bronze shoots in spring, then faintly scented white flowers followed by berries which the birds love, autumn colour and a bare graceful shape in the winter. They make a medium sized tree with an open canopy but happy to be pruned if necessary and good for wildlife.

Nan0 Sun 27-Mar-22 11:46:29

Cornus kousa, beautiful flowers and fruit and shape..? Or , as another gransnetter says, a Rowan, you can get different colours, white yellow or red berries, depending on whether a native UK type or eg a Himalayan or whatever...

Lulubelle500 Sun 27-Mar-22 13:04:58

I planted a white magnolia in my lawn when my father died. When it was two my nephew fell in it and broke one side off. It's now nearly forty years old, an interesting shape and at the moment a glorious froth of pure white. I can see it from every room at the back of the house and it is a joyful memory of Daddy.

Dcba Sun 27-Mar-22 13:31:33

In memory of my mum and dad who died many years ago I have bought and planted a miniature weeping pea tree in the last three homes we have lived in. I decided long ago not to try and dig them up and transplant them into the next home simply because they had flourished and settled so well in each garden! So I have bought and planted a new one in each of the gardens as we moved house. It’s such a pretty tree when it flowers each Spring - a mass of small yellow flowers and because it’s a miniature variety it is compact enough to be planted close to the house so it’s always in view from a kitchen window or from the patio doors.