Gransnet forums

Gardening

Artificial Grass Deodoriser

(122 Posts)
Mazgg Sun 08-May-22 12:11:57

I have used the brands sold for this purpose but the result doesn't last long and it is quite expensive. Has anyone used a disinfectant (e.g.zoflora) for this? Although I walk my dogs frequently they are in and out of the garden all day. I have had it power washed in the past but that didn't last long either.

LadyStardust Sun 08-May-22 23:04:13

mazgg I sympathise! Our small lawn was boggy, muddy and the dogs just paddled muck into the house constantly. We replaced it with artifical grass and we now have a clean area! I find a watering can with a mix of biological wash powder and water helps to deodorise the area quite well. The rest of my garden is very wildlife friendly. Why are people so judgemental to someone who asks a genuine question?

cornergran Sun 08-May-22 23:17:11

mazgg. I can only offer the experience of neighbours at our last home but if it’s typical I wouldn’t use disinfectant. The artificial grass was hosed and watered with dilute disinfectant. All was well until the weather warmed and the sun shone, the smell was very unpleasant, a sweet, cloying odour. It may not be typical but it would make me wary of using disinfectant.

I’m sorry I can’t be more helpful and hope the positive suggestions from the experience of others help you keep your independence.

Chestnut Sun 08-May-22 23:30:38

I would definitely keep away from any chemicals if you have dogs. Disinfectant, bleach or anything like that is not good for animals. I was going to say that sterilising sounds more suitable than deodorising, so what about a steam cleaner? Can the plastic grass stand up to a hot steaming?

Hetty58 Mon 09-May-22 00:16:24

If I couldn't have real grass, I'd have paving or gravel. Artificial grass is just so bad for the environment, in manufacture, use, disposal - and disintegration - that I, too, think it should be banned.

A relative has it - and keeps a special workshop vacuum to clean it - along with her patio and driveway - ridiculous!

Bussy Mon 09-May-22 00:38:49

Mazgg I have been reading your post and I am really stunned at the judgemental and degrading comments made on this thread to you by other posters. I have just recently had false grass put down because I was unable to look after the growing grass I had but still I wanted to enjoy a green area where I grow plants on the borders. It was the best thing I had had done for ages, the relief was overwhelming. I use a power washer to wash down the whole area paths too and that works fine. I do not have dogs and therefore cannot comment on how best to deodorise for dogs however in saying that I have always used Milton Steriliser liquid or tablets with water to sterilise everything especially during Covid. As for comments made to you about letting a garden grow wild well I’m sure my neighbours would be delighted with how that looks and the animal life that comes with it had I done that. I am very concerned that you were asking for advice and were met with mockery and snobbery; many people I know are changing their gardens to the best possible way for them to manage and that includes false grass, you are among many. And for all those aching to scream oh my ! But the environment! Well golly gosh you must have plenty to spend on your garden and I wonder if you drink out of plastic bottles or wear leather shoes or spray hairspray deodorant or use weedkiller or ……. I could go on. Magzz be happy in your garden do what you are able to do use tea tree oil or Milton if it is safe for dogs and enjoy your green space find peace there.

Jane43 Mon 09-May-22 00:49:45

Well said Bussy and Magzz I’m sorry you’ve been upset.

Hetty58 Mon 09-May-22 00:57:37

Bussy - looking after the environment is vital and responsible, not snobby or judgemental. I certainly don't buy or use anything you mention - to suggest using chlorine bleach (Milton) in a garden is bonkers!

Bussy Mon 09-May-22 01:14:24

Hetty58 you have just proven my point about how people treat each other in these forums. For your information I am not Bonkers I at least made a suggestion to a lady seeking help I did qualify it by saying I do not deodorise my garden and I do not have dogs but you are talking as if I am using Milton on real grass I have stated that I have false grass and whilst I totally agree that we must look after the environmental I think that one wee woman seeking help and advice on this forum is not torturing or terrorising the environment she simply asked a question and was met with derision for it

Hetty58 Mon 09-May-22 01:35:37

Bussy, You contradict yourself. How can you have false grass - yet 'totally agree that we must look after the environmental' (sic) - bonkers to me!

Grannytomany Mon 09-May-22 02:58:37

To get back to the opening question, my daughter has 7 dogs and artificial grass. She uses a product called Odourfresh which is pet safe.

She has no regrets about replacing turf with the artificial stuff.

vegansrock Mon 09-May-22 03:51:46

Plastic grass should be banned along with lots of single use unnecessary plastics. No that’s not being snobby or judgemental, just being environmentally aware. Ok some people like it, but people like all sorts of things that are harmful, doesn’t make them good. The fact you have to clean the stuff with more noxious substances doesn’t add to its desirability. If you can’t mow a real lawn plastic grass isn’t the only alternative, so stop pretending that it is

MissAdventure Mon 09-May-22 05:22:15

Well, this was a lovely supportive thread.
You miserable lot.

BlueBelle Mon 09-May-22 06:10:42

I m not being judgemental of you Mazgg you thought you were doing the right thing to help you as you got older but the awful stuff should be banned outright it’s incredible nasty, bad for the environment and now as you ve pointed out made a whole lot more work for you by getting dog dirty and needing more chemicals to keep it clean

If you can’t manage a lawn ( paying for it to be mowed in the summer giving someone a job) then you are much better to have shingle (not with dogs maybe) or concrete with if wanted pots of plants or cutout blocks for a shrub or few plants at least the birds and bees have something then

Ban the awful stuff it’s a modern trend that needs to stop carpets belong indoors not out let the ground breathe and let the insects live

vegansrock Mon 09-May-22 06:40:08

Why is it “miserable” and “unsupportive” to just state the facts on plastic grass? Is it obligatory to agree with everything people want to do on here? If people came on here wanting advice on smoking around children we would advise them not to do it or give up - we wouldn’t “ support “ their habit, there was a thread about crash helmets where someone didn’t want to wear one - most pointed out the dangers of not wearing a helmet, they weren’t “supportive” of not wearing one.

MissAdventure Mon 09-May-22 06:45:40

The thread about the cycle helmet was asking if the poster should wear one.
This one isn't asking if Magzz should have artificial grass; she already has it.

vegansrock Mon 09-May-22 06:47:37

But it doesn’t detract from the fact that we don’t have to agree with what everyone wants or has, it might make someone else think about the environmental hazards in the future.

MissAdventure Mon 09-May-22 06:49:54

As I said.
Miserable lot.

BlueBelle Mon 09-May-22 07:46:54

No I don’t agree MissA I totally understand that the poster was trying to make life simpler for herself (that has probably proved wrong as she now has to clean the darned thing) and I don’t knock her at all but I do knock the producers of the blooming stuff and the younger people who buy it as the ‘inthing’ and think it’s cool and trendy to have an outdoor carpet
We have to make sure people do understand the awfulness of the stuff and find easier ways to fill their gardens
How much easier to clean up any doggy mistakes on a concreted garden which can then have as much or as little wildlife ( pots, cut outs) as the person wants and can manage

It should be banned

Juliet27 Mon 09-May-22 08:06:21

I’ve created poo corner in my garden - an area with wood chips which can be hosed down occasionally. If I replace the wood chips I put the old ones under the hedges. I taught the dogs to use just that area of the garden by keeping them on a lead there while they toileted and using it has become second nature to them. The poo I shovel up and put down the outside drain although I admit that sometimes it’s difficult to see amongst the wood chips!! At least the lawn’s kept clean.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 09-May-22 08:12:04

I have lots of wildlife friendly plants in my garden and live in a rural area. The thyme is flowering and would usually be buzzing with bees. This year the odd one or two. That’s a very bad sign. Artificial grass is one of the things that is harming the environment. Without pollinators we would be in a dire situation. There are alternatives as has already been said if you really can’t use a small, lightweight battery powered mower such as we have. Using it takes no more energy than walking a couple of elderly dogs. And a lawn doesn’t have to consist of grass. Camomile for instance, very low maintenance and much nicer for the dogs than plastic grass which can get very hot.

merlotgran Mon 09-May-22 09:27:24

Gravel is much better for the environment and easier to maintain than artificial grass. It’s not being snobby or sneery to dislike it especially as gardeners are being urged to do all they can to support wildlife.

Gravel is also better than paving over large areas which contributes to flooding.

Lido Mon 09-May-22 09:28:45

As well as smelling and being bad for wildlife and the environment plastic grass fills up with moss and dead leaves forming a mulch upon which weeds grow. Perennial weeds e.g. dandelions,often find their way up around the edges of plastic lawns. I've seen invasive bamboo which has forced its way up through a plastic lawn..what a mess.

It needs weeding, sweeping, cleaning and in one case I saw vacuuming regularly. For these reasons I think it's as high maintenance as a lawn and will become unpopular when reality strikes.

Pristine real lawns and expanses of gravel (both often sprayed with weedkiller) are as bad for pollinators and wildlife as plastic grass.

A really good answer is a relaxed lawn that you mow less regularly, say every few weeks. Paying someone to mow is relatively inexpensive compared to the price of the fitting of plastic grass. In our area there are several retired gentlemen with mowing rounds who charge about £10 for a small lawn.

That way wild flowers like buttercups and daisies establish to provide pollen, bugs and insects have a home and dog wee and poo smells become absorbed by nature.

What is saved on deodoriser, power washers and weed killer would offset the cost of the mowing.

MawtheMerrier Mon 09-May-22 09:35:18

I wonder whether deodoriser is good for your dogs, OP.
My greyhounds have always chosen their “spot” for a wee or a poo, by sniffing around before choosing where to squat, and given their incredibly enhanced sense of smell, a deodoriser could either smell appallingly strong or destroy the smells they need to find. Do you see what I mean? I hesitate to join in with the chorus of those who express their disapproval of artificial grass, but while it looks good it is clearly not without its disadvantages.
Would power washing it not be the most effective and environmentally friendly option?
I know you say you are 80 and as a “mere” 74 I sympathise with the dog walking but on the plus side, that is almost certainly keeping you fit!

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 09-May-22 09:41:19

A very good point about how it smells for the dogs Maw. Their sense of smell is incredible.

Witzend Mon 09-May-22 09:42:41

Hetty58

If I couldn't have real grass, I'd have paving or gravel. Artificial grass is just so bad for the environment, in manufacture, use, disposal - and disintegration - that I, too, think it should be banned.

A relative has it - and keeps a special workshop vacuum to clean it - along with her patio and driveway - ridiculous!

Friend of a dd had a small and very narrow urban garden that didn’t get nearly enough sun for grass to do well - she also had two very small children and wanted a forgiving surface for them to play on. Paving or gravel wouldn’t have answered, and decking can be notoriously slippery.
It wasn’t at all a question of mowing being too much of a bother.

I don’t care for artificial grass myself, but it’s all very well to be sanctimonious about it if you have a large or fair sized, sunny enough garden - lots of people don’t. Or if you don’t have small children to think of.

OP, wouldn’t a good soaking with a sprinkler wash it through?