Gransnet forums

Gardening

How much does your Green Waste Collection cost?

(201 Posts)
MRGUDER Thu 23-Jun-22 14:31:57

I just wondered what other people throughout United Kingdom pay for their Green Waste to be collected?
How often is it collected?
Do you require bags or a bin?

Thank you for your assistance in this.

therustyfairy Sat 25-Jun-22 11:22:28

Green Bin: garden waste, non-recyclable items collected every 2 weeks, no charge,
Blue Bin: paper, plastic, cardboard, recycable collected every two weeks - no charge
Brown Bin: garden waste only collected every two weeks £31 per year

pce612 Sat 25-Jun-22 11:22:35

Our council only do garden waste if you live in a town. They obviously think that those who live in the country either do not have garden waste or have a garden big enough for a massive compost heap.
We have 2 compost bins which are now overflowing and an area where hedge trimmings and other difficult to compost items are dumped.
Anything we can't cope with has to be taken to the dump - 10 miles away.

Paperbackwriter Sat 25-Jun-22 11:22:47

I just take it all to the council tip!

Delene100 Sat 25-Jun-22 11:24:18

That sounds really good. I pay £45 per year for a fortnightly brown bin collection for garden waste but rarely use it, except for pruning bits as I put grass cuttings back into the garden. Food and packaging bins (grey and green) provided as part of council tax.

Elusivebutterfly Sat 25-Jun-22 11:30:46

I am surprised how little some people pay, with some even being free. I pay£60 per year for fortnightly in summer and monthly in winter collections.
I also had to buy a wheelie bin for general waste when I moved here. The Council does not provide these. In addition, Council Tax is 50% higher here for a smaller house than where I used to live.

DutchDoll Sat 25-Jun-22 11:32:47

Large green bin. 25 fortnightly collections. No collection Christmas and New Year.
£82 pa. No pensioner discounts.

adrisco Sat 25-Jun-22 11:33:36

£40 a year, collected every fortnight.

shoppinggirl Sat 25-Jun-22 11:33:41

Ours is a fortnightly collection which costs £72 p.a. I had to pay an initial £15 for the brown bin. When there was a shortage of drivers they only collected once a month and there was no rebate! Quite expensive as we don't use it in the winter but as our council don't offer the service it's easier than going to the tip!

ExDancer Sat 25-Jun-22 11:35:55

Where do you live? What is your local council? We are South Lakeland and they don't charge separately for garden waste, so I'm puzzled by this extra payment on top of your community charge.

hicaz46 Sat 25-Jun-22 11:37:01

Here in Derbyshire household waste collection is once a fortnight and on the alternate week both recycling and garden waste are collected. No weekly cost, but the bins for recycling and garden waste were one off payments of about £25 each.

Mrsdof Sat 25-Jun-22 11:37:29

Our garden waste is in a Brown bin and is collected fortnightly for which we pay £42pa. We share our bin with 2 other houses and share the cost. It works well for us (all small gardens)

ExDancer Sat 25-Jun-22 11:40:16

Is Mr Gurdy real? He hasn't replied. (or if he has I've missed it, sorry)

Thisismyname1953 Sat 25-Jun-22 11:41:41

We pay £30 for a large green bin which is emptied every 2 weeks from March to November . As we have quite a large garden we pay for a second bin .

mistymitts Sat 25-Jun-22 11:48:23

About £55 a year, fortnightly but not during December, January or February. I have barely anything in my landfill one so if there is no room in garden waste one, I sometimes put in into landfill bin.

Cindersdad Sat 25-Jun-22 11:52:02

Currently no charge(Sefton) aside from £35 one off for extra bin. Every 3 weeks March to November and no garden waste collection at all from December to February. Liverpool recently introduced a charging scheme . Recent issues with irregular collections seem to have been fixed now. No vegetable food waste or wood based cat litter allowed in garden waste yet both can be composted.

netflixfan Sat 25-Jun-22 11:53:39

May I ask if the ones who don’t pay are Tory controlled and maybe in the leafy south?

Froglady Sat 25-Jun-22 11:56:16

I pay £25 a year for a fortnightly collection for 8 or 9 months of the year. I am provided with a large wheely bin.

Nannan2 Sat 25-Jun-22 11:57:01

How come some have to pay but some dont charge?? They should all either be free- or all have a charge- not one or the other!! Ours is £30 a year- or was last time i bothered! Might be more now- i have the bin- and paid the charge, then next yr didn't renew as i found not really using much.The council said they'd reclaim the bin.A guy looked and said 'must be a mistake as you have a sticker on' & went without taking it!?

Nannan2 Sat 25-Jun-22 11:58:06

It might be Netflixfan- as my one is in north west.

Hellsbelles Sat 25-Jun-22 11:59:00

@monk08
I wonder if you live in the same county as me ? ( Cumbria ) as it is the same for us .
It's in with our council tax which is £210 a month.

Pedwards Sat 25-Jun-22 12:00:33

We pay £75 per year, it’s collected fortnightly and we have a wheelie bin. One of the unintended consequences of having this is it does make me get out in the garden to make sure I’m getting my money’s worth!

win Sat 25-Jun-22 12:04:34

£48 p.a.

glammagran Sat 25-Jun-22 12:06:29

Gone up £10 to £60 from July in North Wiltshire. Collected every fortnight all year round. No compost bin for food waste though, unlike West Berkshire where we moved from.

Nannina Sat 25-Jun-22 12:06:51

Reading above posts I think we have a worse refuse/recycling service run by Veolia. Green bin costs £27 with £49.65 annual charge to empty March to November. General rubbish collected fortnightly, bottles/cans and paper/card monthly.

rowyn Sat 25-Jun-22 12:07:37

Until I read Dilly the Gardener's post I thought I was going to be paying the most, but she marginally beats me. I pay £69 per year for my green bin fortnightly collection ( garden waste only, with limit on diameter of branches.) and am amazed at how many of you get this service free!
I live in the so called 'Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead (RBWM for short) and am obviously paying through the nose for doing so! My blue recycling bin is collected weekly free of charge( supposedly encouraging recycling) as is my grey bin for non recyclable contents, but only fortnightly. It's great fun (not) after a bank holiday working out which colour combination should be put out!

I'm totally gobsmacked by how many people get free collections of everything, particularly as I'm pretty sure our Council tax is one of the higher amounts. It would be really interesting to know where you all live.

PS There is also a small foodbin which is collected weekly, but I gave up on it after the new providers of the collection service threw it onto my drive, leaving it in two pieces; next time it came back intact but the handle was covered in thick mashed potato - NOT from my bin; third time it was broken beyond repair and though I emailed the council it wasn't replaced.