Gransnet forums

Gardening

What are these please?

(26 Posts)
Shinamae Mon 18-Jul-22 16:47:26

My son bought a bungalow in March, he is looking to redo the garden and does not want all of the shrubs.Can anybody tell me what they are and also would he be able to sell them because I see at the garden centre ridiculous prices for really small shrubs in a pot and just wondered if it’s possible to uproot these and sell them on as mature shrubs?

Shinamae Mon 18-Jul-22 16:48:14

These…

MerylStreep Mon 18-Jul-22 16:49:07

Pictures ?

Shinamae Mon 18-Jul-22 16:49:15

Try again..

AreWeThereYet Mon 18-Jul-22 17:04:19

The first one just looks like a Choisya - very common (as in lots around!), cheap to buy and grow fast. Can't see the second very clearly.

To be honest I think if you dug up plants that size you would kill them, unless you dug up a lot of root with it, in which case it would need a very big pot. It is possible to transplant, but it needs a really big hole to put it in and a couple of years to settle usually.

Sweetpeasue Mon 18-Jul-22 17:08:36

Yes, I'd say definitely the first is Choisya. I have one like that.

tanith Mon 18-Jul-22 17:20:00

Choisya and the second one looks like a type of Hydranga my climbing Hydranga has flowers like that.

kittylester Mon 18-Jul-22 17:21:40

I think the other one is a hydragea. I agree that moving plants that big could well be unsuccessful.

crazyH Mon 18-Jul-22 17:21:57

I’d like to know as well. This is mine

AreWeThereYet Mon 18-Jul-22 17:25:35

We have a Choisya as well - almost all the gardens round here do because there wasn't a lot of choice when we were first planting up the gardens ?

I agree the second looks like a hydrangea, now that it's been pointed out.

SpringyChicken Mon 18-Jul-22 17:26:51

That's a choisya too, probably 'Sundance'.

PollyDolly Mon 18-Jul-22 17:28:00

I think it is a Choosy too. Does it have small white flowers on sometimes and does it smell of cats?

RichmondPark1 Mon 18-Jul-22 17:32:34

I agree with Choisya and Hydrangea.

The best bet for removing them would be to wait until autumn, cut them right back and dig them up then and pot them in big pots full of compost. The roots will be as wide and deep as the size of the shrub you see there - it'll be a big job and you will need a big pot and a lot of compost...perhaps costing more than any money you might make selling them.

You won't know whether it's worked until spring when either they will get going or look very sick. I'd say you've a less than 50% chance of this working. Worth bearing in mind that these shrubs have been planted very close to the fence and so will most likely be 'bald' on the side pressed against the fence.

Esmay Mon 18-Jul-22 20:00:02

I agree with RichmondPark .
Both are too big .
You'll need to spend a lot to pot them up .
It's a risk even if done in the Autumn after pruning .

The Choisya or Mexican orange needs a dose of Sequestrene to restore darker green leaves .
The old fashioned hydrangea would benefit too .

Maybe advertise -buyer digs up and collects !

MerylStreep Mon 18-Jul-22 20:26:50

I know that as a Lace cap Hydrangea. I love them.

Callistemon21 Mon 18-Jul-22 20:57:01

The Choisya or Mexican orange needs a dose of Sequestrene to restore darker green leaves
It could be the Sundance variety which has yellowish leaves.

It's the wrong time of year to move them, winter is the right time.

I wonder why he wants to move attractive shrubs ?
Perhaps the conifer but the others are attractive flowering shrubs.

Daisymae Mon 18-Jul-22 21:09:45

Very difficult to move established shrubs. They are low maintenance so not sure why it they need to be moved?

Hetty58 Mon 18-Jul-22 21:24:32

I'd be inclined to prune them right down, dig them up with as much root as possible - then tie the (watered) roots in bin bags and give them away on social media - I use 'Free plants London' on Facebook. They have little monetary value but someone else might appreciate them.

25Avalon Mon 18-Jul-22 21:38:39

Choisya ternata sundance and a pink Weigela. They should not be moved until the autumn if at all.

Callistemon21 Mon 18-Jul-22 21:48:51

and a pink Weigela
Ours has been lovely this year

Esspee Mon 18-Jul-22 23:42:49

To the right of the Weigela is a Euonymous fortunei. Easier to take cuttings than to lift it successfully.

Shinamae Tue 19-Jul-22 00:00:09

Thank you all very much for your advice, I would’ve had that one myself, that main picture one but as you pointed out it’s probably too big a job. He needs to get rid of some of the shrubs because he is going to put a garden shed out there and needs the space…

J52 Tue 19-Jul-22 07:35:01

Esspee

To the right of the Weigela is a Euonymous fortunei. Easier to take cuttings than to lift it successfully.

Agree with this. Cuttings are very easy to take from both these plants.
It’s a pity just to dig them up and throw them away. Is there a neighbour or gardening club who could take cuttings to grow on?

Esmay Tue 19-Jul-22 08:59:36

Could be a Sundance and looking at the picture maybe a Weigelia as the leaves are a bit small for a hydrangea .

If your son needs the space for an essential garden shed then they have to go !

I'd take cuttings and advertise to see if anyone wants to try to save them .

I've rescued a few nice plants from skips

Good luck !

Callistemon21 Tue 19-Jul-22 09:38:31

We have a lovely couple of Weigelas DH grew from cuttings just a couple of years ago. They flowered really well this year.