Gransnet forums

Gardening

Chelsea Flower Show

(139 Posts)
merlotgran Sun 21-May-23 19:26:54

Just watched the preview/preparation. Some stunning show gardens to look forward to as usual. When I’m not gardening I’ll be glued to the telly. It’s my favourite week of summer.

The weather forecast is great as well!

Rosie51 Thu 25-May-23 15:11:52

Absolutely agree about using brownfield sites for building, although I wish more was done to put infrastructure in place before the numbers of homes was increased. My local authority is building on any spare piece of grass at the moment, and giving permission for cramming in high rise blocks by greedy developers. Not one extra school place, no extra doctors, hospitals etc and there's even been a reduction of our train services. The last straw was when they demolished a children's playground for more new building.

On the subject of Chelsea, I have loved my visits although I have never managed to see it all, it's so big. Of course it's artificial in that all those plants being at their peak at the same time won't happen in 'our' gardens, but they are inspirational. I usually love Chris Beardshaw's garden, he does 'proper' gardens as far as I'm concerned. I haven't had a chance to look at any of this year's offerings yet.

merlotgran Thu 25-May-23 15:46:07

I love Cleve West’s designs. He’s one of my favourites.

merlotgran Thu 25-May-23 15:56:19

Am I missing their point? Or are they missing the point?

Presumably they live on plant based diets so their ignorance is staggering.

Forsythia Thu 25-May-23 16:55:37

They are utter scum. They should be prosecuted. No more student loans, university/FE, benefits, supported housing. Hit them hard where it hurts. Make them put the garden back to how it was. I totally despise them.

J52 Thu 25-May-23 17:04:27

Forsythia

They are utter scum. They should be prosecuted. No more student loans, university/FE, benefits, supported housing. Hit them hard where it hurts. Make them put the garden back to how it was. I totally despise them.

Do you know for a fact that they are students or on benefits?

Jaberwok Thu 25-May-23 19:25:59

Perhaps these people don't understand the hard work and dedication that goes into designing and perfecting these exhibits. My DH and I many moons ago were very involved in garden design and did many gardens, local exhibitions and so on, but never Chelsea. Had someone vandalised any of our work, it would have been devastating and I think I would have burst into tears on the spot. I did vaguely support this campaign, I could see their point of view,but not now, as far as I'm concerned they are vandals, and should be prosecuted severely.

Callistemon21 Thu 25-May-23 23:07:00

It was on the local news.

The designer said the garden has been permanently ruined.

The same group did the same, throwing powder around at the Snooker championships.

But why throw paint at plants? Plants which will help to counter climate change. They claim they did it because people in the Global South are starving but people in many countries are starving because of war, of fighting between rebel groups and because of corrupt officials preventing food getting to these people. And these are the people who will be most affected by climate change too.
So damaging plants and trees, albeit in a small garden but one with a significant message, runs counter to their aims.

merlotgran Thu 25-May-23 23:29:41

Just shows that for all their high minded protesting and posturing they’re as thick as planks.

Callistemon21 Thu 25-May-23 23:38:12

😂

Rosie51 Thu 25-May-23 23:54:42

merlotgran

Just shows that for all their high minded protesting and posturing they’re as thick as planks.

Now you're insulting planks, at least they have a use! wink

merlotgran Fri 26-May-23 20:23:10

Congratulations Chris Beatdshaw. Lovely garden.

Even though I voted for Sarah Price. 😂

lixy Fri 26-May-23 21:57:59

Chris Beardshaw's gardens are always so thoughtful. This year's is beautiful and showcases many shade-loving/tolerant plants.

I shall be looking at the plant list in detail when I come to redesign my shady corner next year.

Callistemon21 Fri 26-May-23 22:30:18

lixy

Chris Beardshaw's gardens are always so thoughtful. This year's is beautiful and showcases many shade-loving/tolerant plants.

I shall be looking at the plant list in detail when I come to redesign my shady corner next year.

Lovely!

My kind of garden
If only 🙂