Gransnet forums

Gardening

slugs

(41 Posts)
Tizliz Mon 31-Aug-26 13:46:19

Got up at 3am to let the dog out and found the path covered in slugs - no plants anywhere near. I picked up at least 18 including the one in the house.

I don't want to use slug pellets because of the dogs and don't want them eating dead slugs

I don't need to protect plants - only gravel in this area.

Any suggestions to avoid going out in my nighty and slippers to pick them up. 🤢

nanna8 Mon 31-Aug-26 13:52:43

Hate the rotten things and I feel pleased when I see our birds swoop down and eat them. No doubt they are tasty.

Oreo Mon 31-Aug-26 13:55:39

I can’t even stand reading about the things, shudder!

Oreo Mon 31-Aug-26 13:56:33

They come out after dark and particularly after rain.

Boomer1947 Mon 31-Aug-26 13:57:36

Sprinkle salt liberally over your path.
Works very well for me and stops them coming through the kitchen window and onto the draining board which I hate.

petra Mon 31-Aug-26 13:58:35

I havnt had slugs for over 10 years. I spray nematodes every March.

MissAdventure Mon 31-Aug-26 13:58:36

They ate everything I planted last year, so much that I've not bothered since.
Horrid things!!!
Oh they really give me the heebie jeebies!

SueDonim Mon 31-Aug-26 15:18:32

Why do they even exist?? Horrible things! They’ve eaten dahlias, mecanopsis and hydrangeas in my garden this year. 🤬

Astitchintime Mon 31-Aug-26 15:21:59

Apparently they are very partial to beer. Put some in a plant saucer overnight…….they do drown but they’re quite happy at the time!

EkwaNimitee Mon 31-Aug-26 15:25:55

Beer has worked wonderfully in my garden. Put it out in a shallow container they can access, they love it, get woozy, fall in and drown.
I could show you a photo of my first attempt, a dish full of many dead slugs of all sizes, but I’ll spare you from an utterly nauseating sight!

Tizliz Mon 31-Aug-26 16:10:39

I think I want to deter them as I don’t want the dogs eating them. Will try the salt tonight. Have had a few before but last night was gross.

Agree there seems no reason for them, have hardly seen hedgehogs this year - unlike you southerners, we have had more than our fair share of rain

MissAdventure Mon 31-Aug-26 18:11:27

SueDonim

Why do they even exist?? Horrible things! They’ve eaten dahlias, mecanopsis and hydrangeas in my garden this year. 🤬

Have you seen the ones who have the sheer audacity to be striped with bright orange?
They're huge!
What a liberty.

SueDonim Mon 31-Aug-26 18:13:39

That’ll be all the colour from my garden flowers working its way through, MissA!

MissAdventure Mon 31-Aug-26 18:36:19

Bleurrrrgggghhhh!
Revolting!!!

I bought "Sluggo" last year, to deal with my little slime "friends".
It's not toxic to other animals, and it seems to dematerialise the dead slugs, too
Plus, I love the name smile

SueDonim Mon 31-Aug-26 18:44:32

Not Slug-gone? grin

midgey Mon 31-Aug-26 18:53:50

You need a hedgehog!

MissAdventure Mon 31-Aug-26 18:56:48

SueDonim

Not Slug-gone? grin

Definitely Sluggo.
Marvellous name, and I think I saw it it in a video about gardening in Australia.
I knew it was the one for me, then.

Sarnia Mon 31-Aug-26 18:57:56

My neighbour drops them into a bucket of hot, salty water but it does mean going out at night.

MissAdventure Mon 31-Aug-26 18:58:48

midgey

You need a hedgehog!

I haven't seen a hedgehog here for years, and there used to be many of them pottering around at night.
Its all foxes here, nowadays.

MissAdventure Mon 31-Aug-26 19:01:24

Hand picking the buggers is one of the recommended ways of dealing with them, Sarnia.
I'm not sure I could bring myself to pick one up in case it wiggled around...

petra Mon 31-Aug-26 19:15:57

You have to spray in March because that’s when the baby slugs are growing in the soil.
All you do is dilute the nematodes ( it’s a living thing) in the watering can and away you go.

LisaAN Mon 31-Aug-26 19:17:12

I had no slugs when I had chickens. Trouble is, the chickens ate all my vegetable plants

Jaxjacky Mon 31-Aug-26 19:42:36

petra 👍👍

MissAdventure Mon 31-Aug-26 19:52:23

petra

You have to spray in March because that’s when the baby slugs are growing in the soil.
All you do is dilute the nematodes ( it’s a living thing) in the watering can and away you go.

I've just read that slugs lay eggs in the soil, which I didn't know.
That explains why suddenly I'm overrun with them.

SueDonim Mon 31-Aug-26 20:05:37

What do you do with them when you’ve gathered a bucket full of slugs?

I’ll look for the nematodes next spring.