Gransnet forums

Gardening

slugs

(42 Posts)
Tizliz Mon 31-Aug-26 13:46:19

Got up at 3am to let the dog out and found the path covered in slugs - no plants anywhere near. I picked up at least 18 including the one in the house.

I don't want to use slug pellets because of the dogs and don't want them eating dead slugs

I don't need to protect plants - only gravel in this area.

Any suggestions to avoid going out in my nighty and slippers to pick them up. 🤢

MissAdventure Mon 31-Aug-26 20:33:17

I dread to think.
Are they compostable???

Would birds come and eat them if you put them on a bird table?

Tizliz Mon 31-Aug-26 21:13:03

MissAdventure

Hand picking the buggers is one of the recommended ways of dealing with them, Sarnia.
I'm not sure I could bring myself to pick one up in case it wiggled around...

I used a dust pan and brush and flicked them over our 8’ wall - I was worried one might fall back on me and had trouble sleeping

Tizliz Mon 31-Aug-26 21:17:34

petra

You have to spray in March because that’s when the baby slugs are growing in the soil.
All you do is dilute the nematodes ( it’s a living thing) in the watering can and away you go.

Can’t understand it as it is all gravel for 10’ then a wall, a few weeds grow in the gravel but not many and there is very little soil and then a proper barrier (though it may have some holes now)

SueDonim Mon 31-Aug-26 21:26:27

If they’re alive in compost, won’t they lay eggs and then slither off to cause more havoc in another garden? Burn them? Bonfire of the Molluscs! Drown them in beer? What type? And what a waste! My friend snips them in half with garden shears!! 👀

MissAdventure Mon 31-Aug-26 22:26:25

That sounds like a crime/thriller book title - Bonfire of the Molluscs.
Ohhh nooo! A slug snipper.
How repulsive.

SueDonim Mon 31-Aug-26 22:48:42

It’s so out of character for my friend! She’s the last person in the world you’d think could wreak violence on anyone or thing - sp*d*rs get gently evicted etc but the war on molluscs had become personal for her. I nearly fell off my chair when she told me what she does to them. 🤣

Jalyn Tue 01-Sept-26 06:43:07

Tizliz unfortunately, these revolting slimy creatures can find their way back home if you lob them over a wall! They have some sort of homing instinct using their slime trail 🤢.

My DH goes out late at night or first thing in the morning, collects them on a trowel, puts salt on them and buries them. It's all so disgusting.

We also use nematodes which helps, but doesn't completely get rid of them all but does help.

nanna8 Tue 01-Sept-26 06:48:57

Wouldn’t it be good if we could eat them like escargots? No, I’m not going to try - but I did once eat a witchetty grub and also lemon flavoured ants so there is a history there.

MissAdventure Tue 01-Sept-26 08:43:06

There was a cooking programme where he (Heston Bluiminsomeone) cooked some, I believe.
Or at least the tiny part that was edible.
It was really bitter, I think.

Tizliz Tue 01-Sept-26 11:38:55

Update

No slugs last night - perhaps it was an arranged meeting the previous night!

Jalyn I know they follow their slime trail but at 3am I didn’t know what else to do and hoped that if I threw them far enough it might work.

Granarchist Tue 01-Sept-26 13:00:41

the answer is ducks. I have not used any slug deterrent for over 10 years since acquiring ducks. Not only do they devour slugs but they also lay eggs. Depending on the size of your garden, 2 or 3 ducks is ample. Make sure they have fox-proof sleeping quarters and that your garden is reasonably protected during the day. Sorted. PS they are delightful companions too.

nanna8 Tue 01-Sept-26 13:17:46

On Ilkley Moor Baht ‘at ! Used to sing that once ( Mum was from Yorkshire!)

Oreo Tue 01-Sept-26 14:19:39

Granarchist

the answer is ducks. I have not used any slug deterrent for over 10 years since acquiring ducks. Not only do they devour slugs but they also lay eggs. Depending on the size of your garden, 2 or 3 ducks is ample. Make sure they have fox-proof sleeping quarters and that your garden is reasonably protected during the day. Sorted. PS they are delightful companions too.

I love ducks🥰

Oreo Tue 01-Sept-26 14:20:48

Remember Will Quack Quack on tv? He was always out and about hunting for molluscs.

Oreo Tue 01-Sept-26 14:22:05

MissAdventure

SueDonim

Why do they even exist?? Horrible things! They’ve eaten dahlias, mecanopsis and hydrangeas in my garden this year. 🤬

Have you seen the ones who have the sheer audacity to be striped with bright orange?
They're huge!
What a liberty.

😂
They have go faster stripes

MissAdventure Tue 01-Sept-26 14:23:23

grin