Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

What games did you used to play after school?

(94 Posts)
GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 26-Jul-11 07:00:34

This forum is designed to collect together threads that are already going on all over the site, and on facebook, where we're discussing regrets/achievements/chocolate bars of childhood etc. We're thinking of developing it so that it becomes a place to collect the memories you'd like to pass on to your grandchildren, as well as to comment on and share other people's - so do post any thoughts about this.
In the mean time, what did you do after school and in the holidays? I spent hours going round and round on one very small piece of smooth tarmac outside the school gates on roller skates. I have clear memories of doing this at 7 - an age no one seems to let their children out alone nowadays.

pompa Tue 26-Jul-11 07:44:52

On the way home from school, we used to play marbles in the gutter - how would modern parents view that grin

glassortwo Tue 26-Jul-11 07:45:17

I would play two baller singing all the rhyme's oranges and lemon, Dr Forster,Miss Polly, Sailor went to sea sea sea etc. There was a rude thyme we would sing when the grown up's were not about, I will have to get my brains cells into action and try and remember it. I could never keep three up at once and would stare longingly at the big girls who could!

We would make french skipping ropes with begged and borrowed elastic bands and sing similar songs as we dashed in and out getting our feet tangled as the rope was lifted higher and higher.

Brings back memories just thinking about it smile

Notsogrand Tue 26-Jul-11 08:06:22

We threaded a tennis ball onto a yard or so of elastic, stood backs against a wall and swung the ball side to side singing rhymes. Can't remember what we called the game! One of the rhymes was 'Have a cigarette sir?, no sir, why sir?, cos I've got a cold sir, where'd you get the cold sir?, from the North Pole sir, what you doing there sir?, catching polar bears sir, how many polar bears did you catch sir?, one sir, two sir, three sir, etc etc.' On each 'sir' you lifted your leg and bounced the ball under it against the wall.

We also did french skipping. Two balls. French knitting with wooden cotton reels. In the winter when it was almost dark we played knock down ginger....knocking on doors and running away.

Hopscotch! Rarely any money to buy chalk so we improvised with bits of coal or a bunch of grass to draw with. My mum had a crinoline lady ornament that I used to sneak out of the house to draw our hopscotch with. It wasn't until all her feet and half her knickerbockers were worn away that it was noticed. smile

glassortwo Tue 26-Jul-11 08:14:08

notso my 5 yr old Grandson has just discovered knocky nine doors, he has just started to play out with the older children in the street and on Sunday we had an irrate man at the door complaining that my Gs had repeatedly knocked on his door, but GS has not quite caught on that you are supposed to run away after you knock wink he was reprimanded grin

Gally Tue 26-Jul-11 08:24:26

Jacks (four funny little nobbly things and a small ball which you threw in the air and caught on the top of your hand while the ball was coming down again - get it??) I think I still have them somewhere! Hopscotch marked out in chalk on the pavement; skipping; up and down the road on my bike; all things an only child could play on her own

jangly Tue 26-Jul-11 09:03:01

Well, I've already mentioned somewhere else, putting pennies (pre metric of course) on the railway lines (getting them beautifully flattened by the oncoming push and pull. Don't think we could pass that on to our grandkids really. Trains are quite a bit faster these days!
Also we used to call in at the big post office and ask for stamp paper (the white strips down the edges of the pages of stamps) which we used to play post offices with.
We used to cross our arms together, two by two, behind our backs and gallop together like horses pulling a cart. That was good at lunchtime. It got us home to our dinners fast.
We used to go to the river and fish out tadpoles with our nets. (How we didn't fall in and drown I don't know! shock)
It was bikes with us rather than roller skates. We went round and round as well. Weird isn't it?!
Oh, and there was a really high slide in the playground, which they took away later. On the usual grounds. hmm

jangly Tue 26-Jul-11 09:07:42

Oh yes. We bounced a ball to this rhyme:

one two three canary
I saw sister Mary
with a soldier in the dairy
One two three canary.

Leg over ball on each rhyming word.

I used to play ball up against the side of the house. This really worried my poor mum as the house was already buttressed to stop it falling down! shock
I got very skilled at doing that to very long rhymes. (the house was fine)

jangly Tue 26-Jul-11 09:09:35

I still do the last two things. My grandsons are very impressed at my skill.

And I play the horses game with them. (well, they play it with me really)

jangly Tue 26-Jul-11 09:17:11

We played some norty games too. wink I'm not going to tell you about those.

grin

And I'm certainly not going to tell my grandchildren!

glassortwo Tue 26-Jul-11 09:20:21

jangly I knew if anyone would remember the naughty rhyme's it would be you grin

jangly Tue 26-Jul-11 09:23:08

I know some more....

I'm saving 'em for another day.

In the quiet corner. grin

glassortwo Tue 26-Jul-11 09:27:47

grin grin give me shout so I dont miss them.

Gally Tue 26-Jul-11 09:36:58

Oooh Jangly tell us more; I used to play Doctors and Nurses with my Mum's friend's 2 boys but of course it was very innocent......wink

glassortwo Tue 26-Jul-11 09:44:38

When I was about 5 I remember taking part in a scientic study on how boys and girls urinated grin sorry I am lowering the tone here.

raggygranny Tue 26-Jul-11 11:13:53

Just to raise the tone a bit - we used to play a game called Bad Egg. It was a complicated game we played in the street (no parked cars in those days smile). There was a ball involved but unfortunately I can't remember the rules! Did anyone else out there play this? (Should add that this was in a N. London suburb.)

goldengirl Tue 26-Jul-11 12:30:39

Ball, skipping, jacks, making dens in the marshes, swapping coloured beads, swimming in the sea from around 12 years old........Happy times smile

fluffycloud2 Tue 26-Jul-11 13:11:13

Hop scotch, collecting car numberplate numbers, building dens from the piles of grass clippings left by the local authority gardeners, dens 'over the fields' where we hid a girl who had run away from her soldier father, (for all of an afternoon we smuggled food to her), walks and picking wild flowers.

westendgirl Tue 26-Jul-11 14:15:55

We used to play a game called "tin can tommy"where you had to kick a can while the others ranand hid.We also played with whips,tops and chalks,but what was strange was that there was a clear season for all these games.One day it was ball play, the next a few weeks of big skipping ropes with all the rhymes.
I have another version of the ball rhyme:
One ,two three a laira
I saw sister Sarah
Sitting on her bumberlaira
Eating chocolate biscuits.
How many did she eat?

absentgrana Tue 26-Jul-11 14:53:06

Hopscotch, roller skates, skipping, five stones and jacks, the big ship sails through the alley, alley-oo (however that's spelt) – that required lots of us, so not every day – made-up games of being grown-ups (about 17 but incredibly independent and wealthy), dens made from a blanket and the clothes horse (indoors) or the frame of the garden swing (outdoors). My friends and I also invented a game we played on the way home from school whereby you had to have your feet off ground whenever a car went past you, then we made it more difficult by insisting that you couldn't have your feet off ground in the same way for two or three cars running – so if you sat on the pavement for the first one, you had to kneel on the wall for the next and do a handstand for the third. We were always late getting home and had incredibly dirty and hands clothes from grovelling around on pavements. How many games did individual children invent that depended entirely on having a wall, a stream, a fence, a hard surface, a patch of grass, whatever, in particular places in relation to each other, so that balls and bats behaved in a specific way and a mind-boggling scoring system could be in place?

skilegs Tue 26-Jul-11 15:05:15

Leapfrog over each other bent double, cats cradle, walking on stilts and lots of the others mentioned above. No TV when I was a child but we were very happy and more sociable.

grandmac Tue 26-Jul-11 16:17:40

We also used to play marbles in the gutter. And I remember when the big tanker type lorry came round to empty the drains the driver would suction up the water, then swing the pipe round and let the water out over the road and the marbles we had lost down the drain would come out with it. We all scrabbled for them. I hope it was just rain water! (Don't remember hearing of any fatalities)

absentgrana Tue 26-Jul-11 16:33:03

Gosh! I'd forgotten leapfrog – not allowed at school in case we broke bones or kicked each others' faces. Cats cradle, endless twistings of bits of string. I can see kids doing that now. hmm

numberplease Tue 26-Jul-11 16:38:20

We had a whip and top season, we used to take out the leather thong that came with the whip and replace it with string cos it worked better, and we put patterns on the tops with chalks. Then there was a marbles season, I always lost mine, never won any. We also skipped, if there weren`t enough of us, the other end of the rope would be tied to a lamp post (gas in thos
e days). When we played hopscotch we used pieces of shale that came in the coal deliveries for drawing the grid on the pavement, we kept it under the hedge near the front gate, where the coal was dropped off from the coal lorry.
I can also remember liking bursting the bubbles in the tar at the side of the road in hot weather, even though I got into trouble for getting tar on my shoes.
And for a bit of stomach churning information, I was never allowed to have chewing gum, so I`d scrape up what people had thrown down on the pavement and chew that! It was 50-60 years ago and I`m still alive!
Oh, and hide and seek of course!

janan Tue 26-Jul-11 17:00:33

I remember marbles in the playground drain! Jacks, fives and most of all kisschase in the playground!