Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

What's your earliest memory?

(62 Posts)
Oxon70 Wed 27-Jul-11 21:17:44

I remember crawling across the hall floor heading for the front door which was open, with the sun shining in.
I wanted to get to the pole outside which held up the porch, to pull myself up. My mum was surprised that I recalled details about this house, because I left there when I was two.

Mamardoit Mon 15-Apr-13 01:16:01

I know we moved house when I was nearly 4 but I have lots of memories of our previous home. I can remember the layout and where I slept and being put in a single bed with new blankets when my little sister was put into the cot in the same room. I would have been just 2. Dad tucked me in and the blankets felt very heavy. I remember the silky lable on the blanket feeling cold on my face.
I'm not sure if photographs trigger some of the very early ones but I do remember sitting in my pram in the garden on a sunny day and reaching out for a butterfly. That must have been my earliest memory.
Lots of memories of the garden when I was very young. Handing DDad runner bean seeds from a tin for him to plant in a wooden seed tray and him digging in the veg garden.
I have no memory of my sister as a new born but do remember as a crawling baby and pushing her back down the stairs because she shouldn't have been there!
Many more memories of my baby brother who was born when I was 3 years 9m. We moved in with grandma and grandad for a few weeks and he was born there. I remember grandad holding the new baby for the first time and grandma laughing and saying 'There you are you've got your grandson, you've got one to carry your name!' He always was the blue eyed boy. Not that his four sisters were unloved but carrying on the name was important for them.
When we did go 'home' it was to a new house. I remember being very upset and crying because I was expecting to go back to the old place.

Deedaa Sun 14-Apr-13 20:58:22

I was about eighteen months old and my grandfather came in and put a white, furry toy dog in my cot. The poor dog ended up practically bald and minus one ear, but I think he is still packed away in a box somewhere. I could hardly throw him away after so many years.

I also remember being chased by a bantam cockerel when I was about two. It seemed the size of a turkey to me but apparently it was only a bantam.

Sheilagh Sat 13-Apr-13 21:49:19

One of my earliest memories is of a friend telling me that we were at war with Germany , I didn't know what war was but everyone seemed so frightened that I ran home as quickly as I could and hid under the stairs of my home until my Mum coaxed me out.

petra Wed 03-Apr-13 18:24:10

I can still see it very clearly. I was standing outside our house with a lot of women while my younger sister was being delivered.
I was 3.

sandylee Tue 02-Apr-13 08:06:28

i remember the first day when i was in kindergarden .my father took me to the school and had looking me to sit down,then he backed to home.but i hate the classroom ,the teacher and the book. i was crying and rushing out of the classroom,following my father all the way .yeah,he obviously found me !!!

Nelliemoser Wed 27-Mar-13 09:48:20

Probably about 3. I remember being in the back room of our house having tried using my mums lipstick and seeing ?the window cleaner looking at me though the window.
My Dad rescuing me when I tumbled into the swimming pool after leaning over the side to watch my mum who was clinging onto the rail. I still remember falling though the water.

BonicaCook Wed 27-Mar-13 09:09:07

The earliest memory I had is that my father let me sit on his shoulders when I was two years old. At that age father did much things like this to accompany my grown up...

Flowerofthewest Sat 16-Mar-13 11:30:53

Oh the memories Gally, I too remember, aged 5, dying for loo but to shy to tell teacher, We were sitting in assembly for special announcement. Youngest at front, I suddenly peed myself and watched the puddle slowly spread backwards into the older children. The shame.

Gally Fri 15-Mar-13 03:28:29

jadey can't you sleep?
I remember my first week at school. I was too scared to ask to go to the loo so peed on the spot and had to be trussed up in the Headmistress's sons pants fixed with a safety pin - oh the shame! He must have been at least 12 and I was 4. Wouldn't you think they would have had spare knickers for such occasions? hmm

Jadey Fri 15-Mar-13 02:47:54

My earliest memory was my very first day at school, it was without doubt the scariest day of my life.

Gally Fri 15-Mar-13 02:28:30

Don't feel bad FOW it's an old thread and only a few posts on it so far - I must have missed it the first time round!
My first memories are of lying in my cot while my Mum brought a French girl (my Aunt's au pair) in to 'view' me. Must have been about 20 months old.... Obviously she must have told me in later years that the girl was French as I could hardly speak English at that time! wink

Flowerofthewest Thu 14-Mar-13 23:06:16

Feeling paranoid, every time I join a thread it seems to end with my latest comment and then nothing confused sad

Flowerofthewest Thu 14-Mar-13 09:46:35

just starting to walk and bumping my head on the corner of the table. I visited a friend who was living in the flats we lived in when I was born. As soon as I walked in I knew where her living area was, kitchen and bedrooms, I was less than three when we moved from there.

I also remember a steam roller coming down our new road (our new house) and rolling past us, I was just under 3.

Again bumping my head, I was sitting on a board confused on the top of my new sister's pram, must have been just 3, when I fell and again banged my head, mum took me into Boots (a tiny shop then) and they administered to me.

susieb755 Thu 28-Feb-13 22:36:41

I remember standing in my cot waiting for m brothers to come home from boarding school - before I was 2 .and being taken of in the ambulance with pneumonia when I was 2 1/4

Eloethan Tue 26-Feb-13 17:07:41

I thought my memory went back a long way until I read some of these posts. My earliest memory is looking out of the bedroom window in Clapham and seeing what even to me now was a tiger striding across the back garden (it must have been a cat). I suppose I was about 2.

carolb Fri 19-Oct-12 00:01:35

I remember lying in a cot and visitors coming to our house. They all gathered around the cot and were making a big fuss of me. I could only have been a few months old.

nanaej Mon 25-Jun-12 19:59:53

I remember being in my Silver Cross pram and going to the shops with my mum. No idea how old I was! anything up to 2+ I guess!

Domino Mon 25-Jun-12 19:36:11

I too remember my siren suit , waking my parents when the siren started
and running down the garden to the shelter. My nan wouldn't go until
she had a cup of tea first.

soop Sat 23-Jun-12 12:46:54

Wearing a new 'siren suit' and running along the platform at Castle Station towards my father in uniform. Being picked up and carried on his shoulders though blasts of steam from a mighty engine. smile

jeni Fri 22-Jun-12 22:22:50

Actually there is a sequelom!
While I was waiting to see if I had been accepted for medical school, we all went to Venice.
Father decided to visit the hospital.
On arrival, one of the nuns rembered him and introduced him to the current boss who immediately whipped him off for a consultation with the family of a dying Englishman who spoke no Italian
In the meantime the nun told me how she remembered me as as a blue eyed curly blonde haired child! 'like an angel'
At 5ft7in towering over over this tiny nun whose only treat had been on the occasion of her 80th birthday to be allowed to walk to visit the pigs at the bottom of the convent/hospital grounds I felt quite humble!

Anagram Fri 22-Jun-12 22:22:21

grin

j04 Fri 22-Jun-12 22:17:54

Oh, and I remember the same aunt pushing me past the school and saying, "That's where you will be going soon". I am possibly imagining that there was a note of satisfaction in her voice.

j04 Fri 22-Jun-12 22:16:20

I've probably said that before somewhere on GN. Sorry if so.

j04 Fri 22-Jun-12 22:15:39

I remember kneeling up in the pushchair/pram thing they had in those days, so I was facing away from my aunt who was pushing, and sticking my tongue out at all the young ladies we passed whilst smiling sweetly at all the old ones.

confused [weird]

johanna Fri 22-Jun-12 22:14:41

P.S jeni
Now I understand your choice of plants for your front garden..smile