Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

What is your favourite memory?

(6 Posts)
roroism Fri 29-Jul-11 15:44:45

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to know what is everyones favourite memory?

Mine has to be when I was in my 20's (a very long time ago), I had a friend who's dad was a pilot, giving me the very lucky opportunity to learn how to fly. We learnt how to fly his small plane on the army grounds in Lakenheath in Norfolk, East Anglia. An experience I will never, ever forget.

What is yours?

artygran Fri 29-Jul-11 21:53:31

We were walking on the Pembrokeshire coast path, my husband, my son and myself, when a peregrine falcon came out of the sky like a bullet and passed so close to my son's head that he felt and heard the draft from its wings, then it disappeared across a field. We were awestruck as none of us had ever seen one before and it has to be exceptional to have such a close encounter. My son had lost his wife a few weeks before and we had asked him to join us on our holiday as I did not want to be away from him at that time. He said "I think she sent it to me, Mum. She's letting me know she's still around". I like to think he was right!

Joan Sat 30-Jul-11 15:04:37

A holiday at Skipsea, Yorkshire, in a caravan with my family and best friend. We had great fun every day, swimming, sunbathing, shopping etc. My friend and i wore those big skirts with loads of stiffened underskirts, and went to milk bar every day for knickerbocker glories. One day we came back to the van and were locked out, so I tried to climb trough the window. My multitudinous underskirts blocked me, so she had to pull them off me one by one, as I was stuck half in half out. Eventually I managed to tumble in, but thank goodness there was no-one around with a camera.

And thank goodness mobile phones with cameras were decades away!!!

Bellesnan Sat 30-Jul-11 18:33:47

Watching my daughter walk down the aisle at the Guards Chapel in London on the arm of her Dad to the sound of fanfare trumpets played by my s-i-l's colleagues in the Band of the Irish Guards. She looked beautiful and the boys looked very smart in their bearskins and uniforms.

Grumpyoldwoman Sun 31-Jul-11 15:20:51

Looking right back would be any of many memories of being with my wonderful Dad...who died when I was 19 and I still miss him every day.
More recent memories..has to be the moment my first grandchild was put into my arms and I fell so madly and deeply in love with her I thought my knees would buckle !!!!

roroism Mon 01-Aug-11 15:33:20

I've discovered this site - I think its certainly worth applying for.

A free opportunity to live your unfulfilled dream. Definitely a great opportunity not to be missed.

http://thinkagainfund.stannahstairlifts.co.uk/