Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Retro perfumes

(64 Posts)
E1saBe Sun 13-Nov-11 09:48:04

It's my week for winning! I received lovely surprise email to tell me I won a copy of the Simply Wonderwoman book (on gransnet) shock and then yesterday I won a bottle of perfume from a raffle which when I got home and googled (didn't know it) it's v. expensive, "niche" perfume etc etc. £175.00 for my £1 raffle ticket. Nice! BUt from what I read I think I may not like it hmm Anyway it got me thinking about my favourite perfume ever which of course I just can't buy any more - Revlon Moon Drops. It so suited me, was my signature scent for years, and probably contributed to husband popping the question 35 years ago, it used to sure work on him in the seduction stakes. I find the modern perfumes often too 'heady' and strong - and they make my sinuses close up! Couldn't gransnet somehow exercise some collective muscle to bring back some of the retro perfumes from the 1960's? There must be an appetite (nose) for it.

FlicketyB Tue 11-Dec-12 12:14:17

Just come to this thread, cannot think why I havent looked at it before. The poster who listed their progression from Blue Grass to Je reviens to Youth Dew has followed the exact path my mother did, and brought back some happy memories of seeing her and smelling her perfume before she went out in the evening. She was using Youth Dew until she died..

I fell in love with Diorissmo at 16 when a friend gave me a spray from a bottle she had and although I love others, I always come back to Diorissmo. It smells of Lily of the Valley, my favourite flower scent, Most of my life it has been out of my price range so life has been a constant search for a less expensive equivalent which I found in Wood's of Windsor's Lily of the Valley. However they went bust and in their resurrection now do such tiny bottles of eau de toilette I now spoil myself by using Diorissimo.

Jodi Mon 10-Dec-12 23:03:44

Was recently told by a 2 year old that 'you smell nice'.

Good old Vicks Vapour Rub wink

specki4eyes Mon 10-Dec-12 22:18:02

Tabu by Dana - I loved that back in the 60's and used to wear it all the time - a guy who I was crazy about stood beside me at a party one evening and said 'you smell'. The way he said it, I knew it was meant as a compliment and at 18 it was the first time I felt utterly desirable and erotic..ah my lost youth!

CHEELU Mon 10-Dec-12 18:17:54

I was at school in the 70's and the perfume of the day was just musk.

Nanknowsbest Sat 28-Jan-12 07:28:05

Oh dear done that all wrong, i was trying to post that Estee Lauder Youth Dew was my fave perfume back in the day.

Nanknowsbest Sat 28-Jan-12 07:26:16

oops that supposed to be 'right' not write and you can still get it today.

Tosh Sun 22-Jan-12 19:15:43

For DG read DH !!!!!

Tosh Sun 22-Jan-12 19:13:33

Yardley Tweed always reminded me of my mum...as did Blue Grass.

As an older teenager I used to wear Coty L'Aimant (sp) which my now DG loved. We got engaged when I was 18 and being away at Teacher Training College, just before I turned 20 we ''called it off''. I gave him back my engagement ring .....but not before I soaked the box with said perfume !!
2 months later we were back together ...he said the ''ring smelled of your perfume every time I opened my drawer'' !!! grin
Perhaps it is time to confess ...that was 1968 !!!!
I loved 'Charlie'....until I got pregnant !!!! ...now we need a ''YUK'' emocion !!!!

chadsky Sun 22-Jan-12 13:55:50

does anyone remember Gingham - almost smelt the same a Brut (70's ) era and Aqua Manda I liked both of those

numberplease Thu 29-Dec-11 23:23:25

Yes Greenmossgiel, that`s the one, in my teens I loved it, then it disappeared.

greenmossgiel Thu 29-Dec-11 17:55:19

I do remember Hartnell's In Love, numberplease! It was in a narrow oblong bottle. The scent was gorgeous, and kind of musky?

harrigran Thu 29-Dec-11 12:08:03

I used to wear Heaven sent when I was first married, I just have to see a pale blue box and I can smell it. I loved Ma Griffe too, I do wish they would re-introduce these perfumes, it would bring back happy memories.

janthea Thu 29-Dec-11 10:40:10

My favourite aunt always used to wear April Violets by Yardley. I recently discovered that Yardley have reintroduced some of the old perfumes and April Violets is one of them. I couldn't resist buying a bottle. It brough back memories.

numberplease Thu 29-Dec-11 00:21:08

Never heard of that one Greenmossgiel, but I do remember Helena Rubenstein`s Heaven Scent, in the pale blue box, it was lovely. Can`t remember if I`ve mentioned it before, but when I was in my teens, a few years ago (lol!!) I loved In Love, by Norman Hartnell, does anyone else remember that one?

greenmossgiel Wed 28-Dec-11 18:07:05

When I'd just started work, I bought myself a little bottle of perfume called Pink Mink. It couldn't have been expensive. Can anyone remember it? I'd love to find some again!

em Wed 28-Dec-11 18:06:01

Wasn't it! I loved it !

goldengirl Wed 28-Dec-11 18:03:56

Yes em I think it was. I thought it the height of sophistication at the time!

em Wed 28-Dec-11 17:08:52

Goldengirl wasn't it Kiku - with the luxury of the big ball of matching talc and a puff!
Can't help noticing that in these chats, the one that crops up often is Ma Griffe. It was relatively recently that I realised how sexy that name is!

greenmossgiel Wed 28-Dec-11 16:51:20

I remember 'Chique', by Yardley! Also Coty's Chypre - can you remember Goya's Black Rose? 'Heaven Sent' by Helena Rubenstein, too? Lovely!

jonssmith2 Wed 28-Dec-11 07:42:57

Message deleted by Gransnet.

Annobel Mon 19-Dec-11 09:09:23

You're not by any chance thinking of Chypre, by Coty, are you, Ariadne? I used to like that very much in my student days.

Ariadne Mon 19-Dec-11 06:18:03

Yardley used to do one called "Chique" (?) which I loved.

pinkprincess Sun 18-Dec-11 23:18:40

Ma Griffe by Carven
Apple Blossom by Helena Rubinstein
Intimate by Revlon
Blue Grass, Memorie Cherie, both by Elizabeth Arden
Geminesse by Max Factor
Love Affair by Goya
Sea Jade by Yardley.

All beautiful and for me bring happy memories.

goldengirl Sun 18-Dec-11 20:06:31

Kiki. A yellow ball type bottle if I remember correctly.
Having heard gma's story of Paris I wonder if my colleagues were trying to tell me something when they said they always knew where I was because of the perfume I wore - and yes, it was Paris! I still have a bottle somewhere but it will have definitely gone off by now. When I was in my early teens my dad used to buy me perfume. I said I liked Charlie and he continued to buy it for me ever onwards until I suggested I would like to try Kiki and the cycle repeated itself. My DH is similar when it comes to 'fragrances' as they're now called confused

JessM Sun 18-Dec-11 17:58:54

mm i like fruity smells.