Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Nostalgia

(122 Posts)
nelliedeane Thu 19-Apr-12 07:52:36

All the different threads about days of old got me thinking of the first TV's and their programmes...Double your money...Take your pick...emergency ward 10 etc what can you remember..

Annika Thu 10-May-12 11:50:57

DH is playing music on his ipod and the tune that has come on is the theme from Z Cars , that takes me back I remember "Fancy" Smith, he was a young policeman, who is as, we know that shy, quiet man, Brian Blessed wink

soop Thu 10-May-12 12:43:34

I always liked Steve Race. Did he have a horse puppet on his childrens' show - or am I confusing the programme with Anita and Muffin the mule? confused

nelliedeane Thu 10-May-12 13:00:34

I thought Steve Race played the piano did he appear on the same programme as Bert Weedon who used to play the guitar wasnt it some sort of music programme for children dont remember the horse though soop......Annika I used to like the little scottish one whose character was Jock Weir,and James Ellis who was the seargent.
Do you remember ''No Hiding place'' Johnny Briggs who went on to play Mike Baldwin in Corrie was in it...I was about 8 at the time,and I used to watch Gideons Way with John Gregson...used to love those sort of programmes.

soop Thu 10-May-12 13:23:15

nellie Yes, Steve did play the piano [wearing a cowboy hat?] and in the children's programme he used to talk to a toy horse. Does anyone remember that?

nelliedeane Thu 10-May-12 14:32:49

vaguely something is stirring in my mind soop but I cant visualise it...and why would he need a horse unless it was ''Horse Race'' or something is my memory playing tricks was the programme called ''The Race is on '' or have I been very clever and thought that one up confused

soop Thu 10-May-12 16:50:23

Googled Steve Race. Apparently he did at one time play host to 'Hank the Cowboy'...I wuz right! grin

Anagram Thu 10-May-12 16:52:28

On a children's programme called 'Whirligig', which also featured Mr Turnip. I had a metal puppet of him!

soop Thu 10-May-12 16:59:55

Anagram Result! grin

merlotgran Thu 10-May-12 17:01:12

Champion the Wonder Horse - I can remember the theme tune as well.
Wagon Train - I was in love with Robert Horton
Fury - Another version of Champion but with a black horse.
Rawhide - Clint Eastwood replaced Robert Horton in my affections.

Annobel Thu 10-May-12 17:33:45

Who was it who used to say to Steve Race; 'Come on, Steve, play your old joanna'? Simply cannot remember!

Mamie Thu 10-May-12 17:41:43

Monday: Picture Book
Tuesday: Andy Pandy
Wednesday: The Flowerpot Men
Thursday: Rag, Tag and Bobtail
Friday: The Woodentops

Is that right?

Oxon70 Thu 10-May-12 18:13:43

Muffin the Mule was the first TV I ever saw.

whenim64 Thu 10-May-12 18:15:32

Yes Mamie I have been trying to remember those for years and had forgotten Picture Book with that lovely woman whose name I don't remember, either - I can see her face. Anyone know?

whenim64 Thu 10-May-12 18:17:36

Just Googled it - Patricia Driscoll! smile

Anagram Thu 10-May-12 18:18:55

Picture Book was my favourite! It was magical...

Mamie Thu 10-May-12 19:56:17

Yes Patrcia Driscoll and I think she was Maid Marian in the Robin Hood with Richard Greene.

whenim64 Thu 10-May-12 20:28:58

Oh yes Mamie I had forgotten that - I loved the original series with those two smile

whitewave Thu 10-May-12 20:34:29

does anyone remember Jennifer and the Flower Fairies - that was yonks ago

jeni Thu 10-May-12 20:38:16

Yes I do! I grew my hair to look like her, unfortunately mine would not lie straight. It waved! The effect was not the same!

whitewave Thu 10-May-12 21:04:14

I remember arum lily he wore a pointy hat

mrsmopp Thu 05-Jul-12 12:12:27

Sunday night at the London Palladium.
Armchair theatre.
The Wednesday Play.

GoldenGran Thu 05-Jul-12 12:47:30

I seem to remember Billie(??) Bean and his funny machine was that Whirligig too Anagram? And the death of Eric Sykes reminds me of his "Sykes" programmes, he was a very funny man.

Goose Thu 12-Jul-12 17:43:27

I saw all the cowboy programmes so as I could see the horses, I was horse mad. I'd regularly would watch 'Champion the Wonder Horse', 'My Friend Flicka' and 'Fury' (a black horse that seemed to spend all it's life rearing up, shaking its head and neighing - wonderful stuff!!!)

Joan Fri 13-Jul-12 12:49:45

No-one has mentioned Callan. I used to love it. Remember Lonely? Good job we didn't have smellyvision.

My friends used to watch emergency ward 10 and Grove Family, but Mum disapproved of both. (Emergency was 'too daft' and the Groves were too smug if I remember rightly)

I loved the early Star Treks too, and Z cars. And The Sweeny.

I reckon I loved the radio more in the early years - Radio Luxemburg and Radio Caroline, and The Goons on the BBC. We used to re-live he Goon Show on the school bus the next morning. Funny - it was so hard to learn our verb tables and poetry and Shakespeare quotations - but we could reproduce the Goons script dead easily!!!!

Greatnan Fri 13-Jul-12 19:33:22

Nellie, Archie Andrews was the dummy - the ventriloquist was Peter Brough and apparently he was not very good at it!
We had no TV until I was 18, in 1958, when my selfish father hired one that had to have 6d (about two and a half pence) in the slot, so he could just watch his own programmes.
We listened to the Radio all the time. Thursday nights were comedy night - Ray's a Laugh (Ted Ray), Take it from Here (Jimmy Edwards) and Life with the Lyons (Bernard Braden and Barbara Lyons). Later, we had 'Ancocks 'alf hour' which transferred to TV.
ITM (It's that man again) was hugely popular and gave rise to many catch phrases - Can I do your now, Sir?
The Navy Lark and Round the Horne introduced Julian and his 'friend' Sandy.
I remember all the theme songs, plus many others, such as 'Rawhide'.