Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Nostalgia

(122 Posts)
nelliedeane Thu 19-Apr-12 07:52:36

All the different threads about days of old got me thinking of the first TV's and their programmes...Double your money...Take your pick...emergency ward 10 etc what can you remember..

feetlebaum Mon 17-Jun-13 18:34:22

KatyK - Gerry Allen was the organist - and nto this day, the strap-on trolley used to move Hammond (and other electronic) organs around, bears the name 'Gerry Allen Trolley'... at a low point in my life I sold electronic organs...

feetlebaum Tue 28-May-13 22:30:57

Ity was Harmonium (or other small organ) - I remember the player sitting astride it at one point - the back fell off and he kicked it it up into place just as the cello player peered onto the gapnto see what was happening - like aI said, it was a real knockabout act - with wonderful timing.

And I have just this moment remembered - I think they were billed as 'Les Chesterfield'...

Tegan Tue 28-May-13 21:35:51

I didn't think to look on utube!

annodomini Tue 28-May-13 08:27:16

feetle - 'harmonium' or do you mean 'harmonica'? Just wondering.

inthefields Tue 28-May-13 08:17:56

Just for Tegan .....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUkOsMSN7PI

inthefields Tue 28-May-13 08:16:29

Watch With Mother!

I was so happily surprised to discover how many old items are now available on YouTube!
Here is one for the Muffin lovers ....
www.youtube.com/watch?v=spQY2FbCUtM

I have lost hours exploring old favourites!!

feetlebaum Tue 28-May-13 07:51:36

Galen - Café Continental - I had forgotten that! I remember one very funny act on there with a cellist and a harmonium player - knockabout stuff that made me roar - and I never saw them again...

AmazingGran Sat 04-May-13 15:35:30

The Twilight Zone

annodomini Sat 04-May-13 14:07:42

Now you're talking - Muffin the Mule ... Grace the Giraffe; Mr Pastry...Crackerjack all in monochrome ... nostalgia!

Tegan Sat 04-May-13 13:31:33

I actually got to watch the whole 'Pathfinders' series as I had it as a Christmas present. Pathfinders to Venus was a series that had been on my mind since childhood..never thought Id get to see it again. At first I was a bit disappointed but then I became more and more charmed by it. It was very ground breaking in it's day and meant to be educational. I'd love to see The Box of Delights again, along with The Children of Green Knowe and The Children of the New Forest [I was in love with Humphrey, I think blush;prior to long hair being fashionable I was quite taken with his long golden locks].]

Daisyanswerdo Sat 04-May-13 13:20:06

Belated thanks for the info about the Box of Delights, Feetlebaum.

Does anyone remember Mr Pastry (Richard Hearne)? I remember him trying to paste wallpaper onto a wall.

Galen Sat 04-May-13 00:17:34

Muffin the mule with Oswald ostrich and willy the worm. All with Annette Mills

Galen Sat 04-May-13 00:15:22

Cafe continental and the coronation.

Galen Sat 04-May-13 00:13:53

I have a violin with a label ' Giovanni Marelli fecit 1875' when young my son asked if I'd bought it new?

harrigran Fri 03-May-13 23:34:33

Told GD that we did not have TV when I was a child, " did you just watch your programmes on the computer then Grandma " ? smile

feetlebaum Wed 01-May-13 22:56:16

Muriel Young, talking to Pussycat Willum...
Yes, The Clangers
The Magic Roundabout, narrated by Eric Thompson
Pipkins

Of course, I was an adult when I saw all these ... when I was child there was no TV.

TwiceAsNice Wed 01-May-13 22:05:23

Rag Tag & Bobtail and the Woodentops
Z Cars and then Softly Softly with Stratford Johns
Double your Money with the slimy Hughie Green ( I mean this most sincerely)
BFPO requests on the radio on a Sunday lunchtime and the Goons
On the Buses with Reg Varney
Bonanza which I loved as a child
The Val Doonican Show with him singing in his rocking chair
The Clangers and the soup dragon and Ivor the Engine and Captain Pugwash
The Professionals
Callan I always jumped when the light bulb smashed
The Morecombe and Wise Show
Cathy Come Home I was a teenager and was shocked rigid by it- the first really traumatic documentary I remember

I could go on and on they don,t make them like this anymore what a great nostalgic thread!

cathy Wed 01-May-13 21:36:33

Paton Place, The Brady Bunch, Its A Knockout, The Avengers smile

numberplease Wed 01-May-13 17:02:16

Prudence Kitten, with, I think, Annette Mills, Aaah, memories!

KatyK Wed 01-May-13 16:17:14

Twizzle
Andy Pandy
The Woodentops - Mrs Scrubit the cleaner, Willy and Jenny the twins and
the biggest spotty dog you ever did see
Wagon Train

KatyK Mon 15-Apr-13 18:20:32

Lunch Box with Noele Gordon. The resident band were called Gerry Allen
and the TV Trio as I recall !

Jadey Fri 22-Mar-13 14:27:23

Crackerjack
Kojak
Green Acres
Tales Of The Unexpected
Cahrlie's Angels

numberplease Sun 03-Mar-13 23:21:47

Oh Feetlebaum, you`ve brought back some memories with your mention of Wagon Train, I used to sit and drool something rotten whenever Robert Horton (Flint McCullough) was in a scene, he was gorgeous!

feetlebaum Sun 03-Mar-13 22:29:03

That should have read "Victor Hely-Hutchinson's Carol Symphony - from memory it began with a harp figure, and then The First Noel, quietly, on the low strings, over it... it sounded like..."

Still no edit facility? Tsk...

feetlebaum Sun 03-Mar-13 22:25:49

Daisyanswerdo The Box of Delights - the music was from Victor Hely-Hutchinson's Carol Symphony ^- from memory it began with a harp figure, and then The First Noel, quietly, on the low strings, over it... it ^sounded like a frosty night! I think it was recorded by Dolf van der Linden and the Metropol Orkester ?

I remember How Do You View with Terry-Thomas - he and Arthur Askey were the first to get to grips with the new medium.

US shows included I Married Joan, The Phil Silvers Show and of course Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz in I Love Lucy.

One night we watched Wagon Train... they were fighting their way across the US in torrential rain and gales. My mother murmured 'Oh, look at that terrible rain', and my father said 'Yes - and you've got washing out on the line' - she was up and out into the garden in record time... where it was a balmy summer evening! She laughed as much as the rest of us did!