Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Free gifts

(19 Posts)
Annika Thu 17-May-12 12:04:09

Today DH is 65 and this morning we were talking about his first job he had when he left school at the age of 15, it was at the co-op, ( he was the delivery boy on a bike, just think of Granville as in open all hours and thats him !!!).
Anyway back to the subject I came on here to "post" . He said one of his first jobs was making sure each packet of washing powder had the free plastic flower that came with it. My mum loved her free gift it would take more than a plastic flower to get me to buy a product in a super market, she would keep buying the washing powder till she felt she had enough flowers to put in a vase. ( dad hated them !) Were "we" more easily pleased then I wonder ? hmm

glassortwo Thu 17-May-12 12:26:04

annika my Mum had the whole collection of flowers too, then from the Coop it was plates, teddies the list was endless and she had to have them all grin some of the plates are still in circulation.

I think we are harder to please than our Mums . I certainly wouldnt buy a soap powder for a free plastic flowers wink

glassortwo Thu 17-May-12 12:26:57

Happy Birthday Mr A wine [cupcakes] flowers

glassortwo Thu 17-May-12 12:27:44

Tried to give you more cake than you should have cupcake

Anagram Thu 17-May-12 12:49:34

I remember collecting the plastic soldiers from Kellogs corn flakes! I had a mini-army!

goldengirl Thu 17-May-12 14:47:02

When my GC have a Happy Meal the freebie reminds me of The Good Life when Tom used to make plastic toys for free gifts. Nine times out of ten the Happy Meal free gift gets looked at and then forgotten. Perhaps they'll become antiques in a few years time - especially if kept in their cellophane smile

I liked the masks on the back of cornflake packets. Mum used to cut them out for me. I had loads - or so it seemed at the time.

They're a waste of resources really aren't they?

numberplease Thu 17-May-12 15:26:04

I also collected the plastic roses, also the Wades Wimsey kittens and bush babies that came with Fairy liquid, that was in 1963.

Anne58 Thu 17-May-12 20:45:22

My Gran colected the plastic roses (Daz, I think?) But I was a demon for the Robertsons Gollywog badges! And some brooches in the shape of pets, with sparkly stones in, I seem to remember I had a budgie one and a sort of dacshund?

Mishap Thu 17-May-12 21:31:30

I can remember when I was about 4, my step-grandad (who was beginning to go a bit crazy - he committed suicide in the end) found a white plastic dinosaur from a cereal packet and was overcome with excitement as he thought he had found a real ivory antique - I remember being very puzzled and not quite knowing what to say.

flump Thu 17-May-12 22:18:45

Does anyone remember when you could get gifts from petrol stations by saving tokens? I've still got 6 of each bone china coffee cups, saucers and side plates.

glassortwo Thu 17-May-12 22:20:03

What about Green Shield Stamps.

Annobel Thu 17-May-12 22:27:18

I still have Esso champagne flutes and wine glasses in good condition. Perhaps I haven't used them enough. wink

flump Thu 17-May-12 22:31:19

Didn't the Green Shield company become Argos?

glassortwo Thu 17-May-12 22:43:09

Did they, I dont think I knew that, but you can see the connection.

Ariadne Fri 18-May-12 07:02:27

I still have a few wooden handled knives and forks from Green Shield stamps kicking about. We were so poor then, and I thought they were the height of sophistication!

Gally Fri 18-May-12 08:17:29

I'd forgotten about Greenshield stamps. I remember the excitement of cutting out 'things' from the back of cereal packets - masks and a twizzle through which you threaded string?? I have some dessert spoons which my Mum got from Kelloggs in the 50's - still going strong. I used to collect tokens from Brooke Bond loose tea and got all kinds of wonders - towels, mugs, toys. These days I use Tesco tokens - in fact, I got 3/4 of the laptop I am using 'free' from Tesco and also a magazine subscription. I know some people work on getting freebies - maybe it's possible to live off tokens? hmm

kittylester Fri 18-May-12 09:12:12

It was all the rage confused when we were at school to collect the plastic flowers and thread them through the 'gondola' basket we used for cookery. I seem to remember lots of daffodils. And why we insisted on using those basket I have no idea - nothing fitted into them!

Anagram Fri 18-May-12 10:24:27

Yes, we used those baskets for cookery too, kitty! I think it must have been one of those 'crazes' - as you say, they were such an awkward shape nothing fitted properly in them, especially tupperware boxes!

whenim64 Fri 18-May-12 10:52:26

Oh, yes! I'd forgotten about those gondola baskets - I remember taking home a lamb stew with barley that we made in domestic science and it was stuck all over the basket weave when I got it home. No-one even tried it! grin