Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

60 Years of the Queen's reign - what defines it for you?

(55 Posts)
Hunt Sat 19-May-12 10:17:34

I spent the night in Hyde Park waiting for the Queen to ride by in the Coronation coach. I went up to Marble Arch station to go to the loo and came running back to tell everyone that Hilary had climbed Everest! I took some photos on my little box brownie - not very good as it rained and they are covered in raindrops. The best one is of Queen Salote of Tonga, smiling and waving. I also belong to an Historic Dance Company and we were asked to Dance for the Queen at Eastbury Manor House in Barking when she visited during the Millenium Tour. One of our number had made a card with the royal coat of arms embroidered on it. We handed it to an Equerry, who looked at it as if it was a letter bomb! However he said he would give it to the Queen and we got a letter of thanks from the Palace saying how much the Queen had enjoyed our dancing.She also spoke to my husband but he was so confused trying to doff his hat,control his sword, take a photo and make a Tudor reverence that he can't remember what she said or what he replied! It can't have been anything controversial as he wasn't whipped off to the Tower.

goldengirl Sat 19-May-12 10:09:52

I was nearly 5 and we went to friends to watch it on their TV. I remember eating a lot and being entranced by all the glitz and the solemn moment of crowning but what I did in between I don't know. I know there would have been celebrations at my church school but I don't remember those either and if we were given a momento I don't know what it was or what happened to it. I love the stirring music of Zadok The Priest still.

I shall probably be glued to the TV during the various royal activites - I'll not see anything like it again that's for sure.

eGJ Fri 18-May-12 16:24:43

The first time I saw television was at a neighbour's house for the Coronation. I vow to this day that the sky was in colour! I remember Queen Salote of Tonga smiling with her coach hood down inspite of the drizzle. The Queen just smiled and smiled! I can recall us having to go into the school playground for the Union Flag to be raised and lowered as Queen Mary had died, not long before the Coronation. Our whole school walked to the cinema (another first) to see the film of the coronation. We were each given a teaspoon!

vampirequeen Thu 17-May-12 18:13:39

My dad worked in London and we used to go in with him sometimes to sight see then meet him at his office to come home. We didn't know London very well so had to go to his office by the same route each time. One afternoon we found the way blocked by the police. The roads had been closed to vehicles and pedestrians. We pleaded to go through. Asked if the road would be closed for long. Explained we didn't know how to get to Smith Square any other way. Finally he took pity on us....or just had no idea what we were saying in our Northern accents lol. He said to stand on the corner and we would get a surprise. Not long after there was a lot of police activity and around the corner swept Liz and Phil in their big car. Hence the closing of the roads...she never gets stuck in traffic jams. Anyway we waved like loonies and they waved back. So I can honestly say I've had my own personal wave from Liz and Phil because there was no one else around except saluting police officers.

JosieGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 17-May-12 15:04:35

With the Queen's Jubilee coming up we thought it would be a great time to relive all the fond memories we have of the Queen's reign. What do you think Elizabeth II's reign will be remembered for?

Did you watch the Queen's coronation? What do you remember about it? What are your top royal moments of the last 60 years?