Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Selling old vinyl 45s

(20 Posts)
numberplease Fri 04-Jan-13 17:47:47

I`ve now transferred all my vinyl 45s and 78s onto cd, and wondered if there was a market for old records. Does anyone know how I can find out? Please, I should add.

JessM Fri 04-Jan-13 18:01:13

Have a look on ebay to see if people are buying them and for how much.
There are also record shops that sell vinyl - in big cities. We dont have one here but there is one near my friend in Sheffield. I guess it depends on the music, the quality of the record (scratched or not) and rarity. if they are in good condition and "collectable" they could be worth something I guess.
Good luck.

crimson Fri 04-Jan-13 18:21:36

Quite a thriving market I would imagine. Just be careful you don't part with one that might be worth something. Don't suppose you've got any early Pink Floyd albums wink? There's one I've been trying to get for years! Still regret parting with a [probably first release as well] copy of Liege and Lief. Have just bought it on dvd having had a terrible tape of it for years. The first pressings were bad so my husband [a complete nerd in that way] took it back to the shop and we never replaced it. Not realising what a classic it would become. I can't part with albums in the way I can't part with books. You can buy album sized picture frames which I thought I might get. Then I could have a display on the wall that I could change every so often when the mood takes me smile. Tales of Topographic Oceans anyone...[think I've got to go into the loft now and see what I've got up there]

jO5 Fri 04-Jan-13 18:29:38

I, for some unknown reason, threw out all the paper sleeves for my 45s. Apparently that has made them worthless. hmm

Soupy Fri 04-Jan-13 18:54:47

Oh Crimson. I sold Piper at the Gates of Dawn some years ago.

But I still have Ummagumma........

Funnily enough DD has looked through our records and decided which ones she'd like - all the good ones of course!

crimson Fri 04-Jan-13 19:06:22

That's ok! I've got Piper at the Gates of Dawn. It's the one called [I think] 'Pink Floyd' that has a picture of them on the front that I want. I was only an 'early' Floyd fan and my interest tailed of after Syd left [although I love Atom Heart Mother]. The S.O. gave his son a collectable Led Zeppelin sad. I'm just pondering if I have Gary Numan's 'Cars'; something we all bought at the time [not sure that we liked it] but have now realised it was way ahead of it's time.

nanaej Fri 04-Jan-13 19:08:18

We have boxes of LPs (Liege and Lief included!) and singles and some EPs too..OH cannot bear to part with them! Local record shop will buy albums and some singles. But take care if selling that you are not underselling!

crimson Fri 04-Jan-13 19:16:23

Also got boxes belonging to my son when he went through his DJ phase; y'know all decks and mixing [boys and their toys wink].

crimson Fri 04-Jan-13 19:19:15

I've even, in the loft, got the original amp that the husband made when everyone made their own amps and decks. We had huge guitar speakers for years till we replaced them with proper ones. I kept all the good stereo equipment when he left, my arguement being that my taste in music is far superior to his.

nanaej Fri 04-Jan-13 19:34:18

made OH part with his amp when we moved here...he is still a bit fed up about that! hmm

Mishap Fri 04-Jan-13 21:06:32

All our LPs, EPs and 45s that we had were transferred to computer/iPod and we gave them all to an Oxfam book and record shop where thney understood their value - so hopefully they made a good bit of dosh on them.

numberplease Fri 04-Jan-13 22:09:54

Sorry Crimson, no Pink Floyd, didn`t like them (runs and hides!), and I`ve never even herd of Liege and Lief. Mine are pop stuff from the latter half of the 50s and early 60s. I think the 2 oldest ones are What do you Want to Make Those Eyes at me For?, by Emile Ford and the Checkmates, with Don`t tell me your troubles on the B side, and Personality/My Blue Angel, by Anthony Newley. There`s also Island of Dreams/The Johnson Boys, by the Springfields, and I Can`t Stop Loving You/Born to Lose, by Ray Charles. Not many albums, I couldn`t afford them then, most of my albums are compilations bought in later years. I did have an original copy of Cliff`s Living Doll, which I`ve been told is worth quite a lot, but hubby threw it on the fire shortly after we met, out of jealousy. There`s a Joe Brown one as well, but can`t remember which one it is now.

RINKY Sat 05-Jan-13 02:21:26

Believe Bonhams salerooms sell certain interesting records. I have been meaning to get in touch with them for ages about some white label vinyls I have from the seventies.

glammanana Sat 05-Jan-13 07:55:02

I see regular customers calling into the Charity shop I help in on Saturday's looking through all the old vinyl's you really do need to find out the value before you donate them I think,I have some originals from the 60's by The Beatles which my dad bought me and although I have been offered some decent amounts for one in particular I would never sell it.

jO5 Sat 05-Jan-13 09:24:47

If anyone comes on here and says they have made thousands, or even hundreds, from an old Beatles 45, I am going to be kicking myself for throwing all the sleeves away! hmm

Mind you, not sure I could part with them now. [sigh]

jO5 Sat 05-Jan-13 09:25:40

Yep! Same as you Glamma! How could we? smile

glammanana Sat 05-Jan-13 09:38:53

Fancy throwing the sleeves away ??? did you have a senior moment or what,I will never part with the copies I have they where the first LPs that I had bought for me in 1962 I think called "With the Beatles" its an all black cover with just their beatle haircuts showing.I've got some tape recording of the group we did at one on the lunchtime sessions we recorded it on a dansette tape recorder we where supposed to be at school at the time ??

jO5 Sat 05-Jan-13 10:10:42

I chucked them out years ago Glamma. I used to play them for little'uns and I got fed up qith taking them in and out of the sleeves! I can't believe it now. It was so daft! You don't think of that kind of thing when you're younger. Well, I didn't. hmm

I've got some LPs with the covers, but these were the little singles. They were good for pass-the-parcel at birthday parties.

Goose Sat 05-Jan-13 10:10:45

I have my parents old record player from the 1950's and I collect records - mainly 45's. They are getting more difficult to get hold of, though I wouldn't say they're really a collectible item - yet. The real 'wheelers and dealers' out there are keeping an eye out for records that are without scratches (or dried out beer stains on them!). The cover label should match the record label - written names on records in frowned on. There are sought after rarities, such as numbered editions (eg: Beatles 'White' LP) and it's great if all inserts (like printed out sheets of words, or photo's of musicians, etc) are included. I can buy records, even really old ones from the 1950/60's for around 25p each! It really does depend on the desirability of the record itself...The ones in pristine condition are very rare to find - a bit like an unplayed with, boxed Dinky toy.

jO5 Sat 05-Jan-13 10:11:11

I mean the music. Not the sleeves! hmm