Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

What (deceased) well known people do you remember with affection?

(44 Posts)
Eloethan Tue 09-Apr-13 15:17:52

Three of my favourites were:

Eric Morecambe
Pete 'n Dud (especially that song "Goodbye")

Greatnan Tue 09-Apr-13 15:31:07

Your three, plus Roy Castle, Les Dawson, Dave Allen, and Mo Mowlam.

numberplease Tue 09-Apr-13 15:31:09

Eric Morecambe here as well.
George Formby
Les Dawson
Gracie Fields
Alma Cogan

I could go on for longer, but won`t.

Greatnan Tue 09-Apr-13 15:35:28

It is not too extreme to say I was devastated when Carol Keating died. (Daughter of Gloria Honeyford). I had met her when I appeared on her afternoon magazine programme and she was kind, intelligent, beautiful and happy. She was diagnosed with breast cancer when she was 33 and spent the rest of her 30s desperately trying to find a cure. She died at the age of 41, leaving her two young sons. I used to wake up thinking about her - it was a couple of years after my own daughter had come close to death. I still think of her often, and how terrible it must have been to know she was not going to see her boys grow up.

matson Tue 09-Apr-13 15:47:45

Eric Morecombe here too, also tommy coopersmile and Patrick swayse x

Movedalot Tue 09-Apr-13 16:46:04

Margot Fonteyn
Ninette de Valois
Maurice Bejart
Robert Helpman
Roy Castle

POGS Tue 09-Apr-13 17:20:02

Thora Hird. Loved her work in her latter years. The Cracker, Wide eyed and legless, etc. She was just a national treasure.

Elvis Hit me like a ton of bricks.

ninathenana Tue 09-Apr-13 17:20:11

Definitely Eric Morcombe and Roy Castle.
Freddie Mercury

merlotgran Tue 09-Apr-13 17:54:29

Eric Morecambe
Richard Briers
George Harrison
Geoff Hamilton

Flowerofthewest Tue 09-Apr-13 18:43:15

Eric Morecambe
John Martyn
John Lennon

Ella46 Tue 09-Apr-13 18:47:45

Frank Sinatra. I know he wasn't a nice man, but his voice can reduce me to a quivering heap.
I saw him in London just a few years before he died,and I was mesmerised.

Ella46 Tue 09-Apr-13 18:49:49

I know the OP said 'with affection', but I don't care, it was affectionate adoration blush

Greatnan Tue 09-Apr-13 18:53:37

Movedalot - I am guessing you like ballet! smile

numberplease Tue 09-Apr-13 20:40:19

Oh yes, how could I have missed Thora Hird from my list? She was a lovely lady, and a great actress.

Tegan Tue 09-Apr-13 20:49:11

Syd Barrett and Desert Orchid sad.

Tegan Tue 09-Apr-13 20:52:17

Oh and John Peel...

Deedaa Tue 09-Apr-13 21:50:49

Does anyone remember dear Timothy Birdsall who died of leukemia in 1963? He was a cartoonist on That Was The Week That Was and also worked on Private Eye. He was only in his twenties and such a nice boy. There was no suggestion that he was ill so his death was a terrible shock. It seemed such an awful waste that I've never forgotten him.

Wasn't John Peel dying a shock Tegan ? I thought he'd go on for years. I used to listen to him on my way to work on Saturdays. I miss Desert Orchid too - he was such a beautiful horse, I've always been a sucker for greys.

merlotgran Tue 09-Apr-13 21:54:26

Oh. If we're doing animals, what about Rick Stein's Chalky? grin

gillybob Tue 09-Apr-13 22:32:30

Freddie Mercury for me too Ninathenana. He would have been 67 this year and it would be hard to imagine him as an old man, but I was a huge fan and still miss him very much.

harrigran Tue 09-Apr-13 22:40:53

Me too *gillybob

posie Tue 09-Apr-13 23:11:06

Les Dawson, Roy Castle - he seemed such a nice decent man.

merlotgran Tue 09-Apr-13 23:22:10

Despite all the things I said about her when she married Paul McCartney, (I was of the opinion he should have married Jane Asher,) I felt sad when Linda McCartney died. She was a devoted wife and mother and campaigned for animal welfare. Her tribute concert showed how much her family cared for her and she was 'of our time'.

Tegan Wed 10-Apr-13 12:00:28

The S.O. went to one of the first concerts that Wings did; I think they just phoned up somewhere in Nottingham and said [we're going to do a gig]. We were all a bit sniffy about Linda being in the band at the time, weren't we, but, of all of the Beatles Paul was the one that always wanted to perform live [still does, sadly] and it was the fans that put paid to that. Funny that those of us that dreamed of marrying a Beatle were then put out by the fact that one of them actually married someone quite plain and ordinary; as if it was more painless if they married someone that we couldn't aspire to be.
...I didn't know Chalky was dead sad...
Deedaa...listen to Tom Ravenscroft on Radio 6 [his son]. It's as if he never left [Glastonbury has never been the same, though; I wish they'd get Tom to do it [in fact, I might write to the Beeb about it]

Deedaa Wed 10-Apr-13 20:54:37

Chalky's been dead for a while Tegan Rick Stein still gets quite choked up talking about him.
I can remember being very anti Linda McCartney although I don't know why, when she was so pro animals. I think Jane was probably better suited to Gerald Scarfe though, they seem to have been very happy.

Grannylin Wed 10-Apr-13 21:14:34

Bob Marley and Spike Milligan