Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Am I TOO old???.

(47 Posts)
Maywalk Tue 23-Apr-13 21:45:38

Reading through the postings on Gransnet I realize that I am much older than most of the members. I am 83 but I have been a computer user since I was 74. My son taught me how to use the computer because he wanted my tales of WW2. Since my website went up I have had over 19,000 viewings to it plus TV and Radio contacting me. Its been a busy and wonderful time and I have made friends from around the globe. To crown it all I have just had a lovely WW2 book dedicated to me by a well known authoress who writes history books. I am a VERY lucky lady to have had all this happen to me in later life and I hope all the Grans on Gransnet enjoy this wonderful technology.
God Bless All.

http://www.memorylanehf.oddquine.co.uk/

Nonu Tue 23-Apr-13 21:50:19

that is wonderful Maywalk, all strengh to your elbow.

keep on posting !

NfkDumpling Tue 23-Apr-13 22:02:31

Brilliant website - fascinating memories. Thank you smile

Mishap Tue 23-Apr-13 22:04:23

Definitely not too old!!

Ariadne Tue 23-Apr-13 22:04:48

Hello, Maywalk! Thank you.

merlotgran Tue 23-Apr-13 22:07:21

Here it is... maywalk's website

Galen Tue 23-Apr-13 22:07:29

Welcomesmile

Sel Tue 23-Apr-13 22:20:28

How lovely Maywalk and very moving. Thanks too merlot for the blue link.

Maywalk Tue 23-Apr-13 22:21:01

Bless you all for the lovely welcome. I did join some time ago but started having seizures which was diagnosed as Epilepsy so I have not been on here for some time.
The docs have also fitted me up with a pacemaker and I am more than grateful to the NHS for what they have done for me.
Bless you all

Sel Tue 23-Apr-13 22:22:10

Oh and I've just realised you asked a question Maywalk NO - you are not too old, as if! flowers

nanaej Tue 23-Apr-13 22:35:43

Welcome maywalk hope you keep postingsmile

annodomini Tue 23-Apr-13 22:54:45

Welcome, maywalk and thank you for the link to your web site. I haven't had time to do more than scan it so far, but even though I was only an infant during the war, I can relate to some of the stories told in it.

Maywalk Wed 24-Apr-13 06:57:40

Many thanks Nanaej and annodomini.
If it is of any interest to folks I wrote a book about the first 20 years of my life that takes in the blitz and the years following until I got married in 1949. All the proceeds after the printer had his fee out of it went to my local Childrens Hospice......... http://www.rainbows.co.uk/

I had SO many folks asking me about the book from abroad I decided to have it put on my website after it had made a tidy sum for the hospice.
If anyone is interested it is in my poetry section titled 'Yesterdays Child'

God Bless All.

baubles Wed 24-Apr-13 06:58:20

hello Maywalk welcome to GNet. It's great to hear of someone learning new skills and not using age as a reasons not to. I'll certainly read your website smile

Maywalk Wed 24-Apr-13 07:45:26

Hi Baubles.
I hope you enjoy your trip back in time.
Many folk have got back to me saying they have.
Seems incredible what has happened since I put the site up.
God Bless.

MiceElf Wed 24-Apr-13 07:48:44

I've just had a look at the site. It's lovely! And I had a peep at the rations as they were called until well after the war was over. I remember being sent to the Coop with the ration book as a small child. No wonder everyone was so much healthier them. I'd forgotten how little fat and other items everyone managed on. Perhaps that would be the answer to so many of today's health problems!

Maywalk Wed 24-Apr-13 07:58:45

Thanks MiceElf. To be honest I think we were far healthier then than folks are today because IF you saw an obese person in those far off days it was usually glandular trouble or something that was making them that way. It certainly wasn't the amount of food that we had to eat.
Todays society has many more foreign dishes and I think TOO many of them are not good for folk.
Having said that I am an old biddy set in my ways.

baubles Wed 24-Apr-13 08:13:09

Well Maywalk I think you've proved that you aren't so set in your ways, after all you have conquered the Internet smile I disagree though about n 'foreign' food being the problem. We are lucky to be able to experience so many different types of food these days. I think part of the problem is that we eat so much more sugar in all it's forms. I hold my hand up to that one grin

j08 Wed 24-Apr-13 08:22:58

If obesity was caused by 'glands' then, it must still be now. People are too ready to slate the obese as being greedy.

Your excellent website must be enthralling for anyone wishing to think back to life in wartime Britain. I prefer to think in the present and the future myself, but perhaps that is just me. But still, an excellent website.

Welcome to Gransnet. smile

j08 Wed 24-Apr-13 08:25:11

Nothing like steak and kidney pudding with boiled out cabbage and a good dollop of mash. Don't forget the butter and full fat milk in there. #nothingliketheoldways

Maywalk Wed 24-Apr-13 08:43:28

Thanks for geting back to me Baubles and Jo and I too love my mashed potatoes and being a Londoner I used look forward to my pie and mash.
That is one thing I really missed when I moved back to the Midlands because I loved my weekly trip to Manzi's pie and mash shop in the Old Kent Road.
My mouth is watering just thinking about it. grin

glammanana Wed 24-Apr-13 09:00:02

Maywalk After reading your excellent web site I was transformed back to the stories my nana used to tell me when I was young,I was born after the war in 1950 but my lovely dad was in The Navy and his brothers where Army/Air Force so nana had a lot of worries at the time,she always spoke about how she managed with her rations for feeding the family and after reading a couple of your recipes I may try some out just for the experience and try them on my older neighbours.flowers

Maywalk Wed 24-Apr-13 09:06:48

Hi glammanana.
I hope the recipes turn out OK for you.
If you have a printer why not print the recipes off for your neighbour.

MiceElf Wed 24-Apr-13 09:36:25

Maywalk do you remember singing Knock 'em Down the Old Kent Road? And I remember a song called 'We are the Peckham Girls'. It I can't remember ANY of the words and I haven't found it on Google.

kittylester Wed 24-Apr-13 09:46:49

Maywalk, welcome to GN do keep posting! I've had a quick look at your site and will definitely go back when I am not so busy!! flowers