Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

old radio programmes in pre TV days

(109 Posts)
mrsmopp Tue 14-May-13 21:12:10

Journey into Space scared me to death!

Have A Go with Wilfred Pickles, Mabel at the table and Harry Hudson at the piano.
He went round the country interiewing ordinary people.

Maniac Thu 16-May-13 14:28:56

number Was that the programme set in cowboy country -they often had a hoe-down. can't recall the name or regular cast.
Listened to 'Dick Barton special agent' before doing my homework

Yummygran Thu 16-May-13 14:56:13

Like many the memory of Two Way Family Favourites whils the Sunday roast was cooking and Dad was either in the garden or at the Pub! Mrs Dale's Diary was my Mum's favourite and for me the Clitheroe Kid with Jimmy Clitheroe.

numberplease Thu 16-May-13 16:13:31

Maniac, I don`t think it was that, I think it was coming from a dance hall, but I wasn`t very old, so may not be remembering very well, can just remember the man calling out all the moves for the dancers. Oh, the days, eh, when we listened to dancing!

feetlebaum Thu 16-May-13 16:47:17

The programme in the Western setting was probably Big Bill Campbell's show.
Campbell and his Rocky Mountaneers had a Sunday afternoon spot - singin' and playin' around the ol' camp fire... Mighty fine... mighty fine...

The square dance programme featured Phil Cardew and the Corn Huskers (all session players - not many square dance bands featured a clarinet). The caller was a bit tame, I remember, by comparison with the American tobacco auctioneer style callers - he favoured a singing style.

soop Thu 16-May-13 16:50:07

Maniac...Dick Barton was my favourite evening treat.
Two Way Family Favourites, listened to on Sundays as we ate the roast beef and Yorkshire pud [that had been cooked in the village baker's big oven, along with many others] grin I also liked the programme featuring George Cole. Was his dog called Sykey?

Joan Fri 17-May-13 07:41:04

The Goon Show. On the school bus the next day, we'd re-create the entire dialogue. Funny how we could remember all that, but couldn't learn our Shakespeare sonnets or Latin verbs!!

Then there was The Archers, and later, all the pop music on Radio Caroline, and also on Radio Luxemburg.

Mum got cross and turned the wireless off when Mrs Dale's Diary came on. She said it was right wing and snobbish!! She was the same when 'The Grove Family' came on the telly.

It's a wonder we had a radio at all - as a little 4 or 5 year old they found me prising the back off it to 'find the little people inside'.

The snacked bum did nothing to teach me how radio worked.

Joan Fri 17-May-13 07:42:03

I mean smacked bum - gawd, the thing we say in typos!!

feetlebaum Fri 17-May-13 10:55:24

mrsmopp I certainly remember In Town Tonight...

The Knightsbridge March (Eric Coates), the sounds of traffic, the flower seller - "Vi'lets, Lovely Vi'lets" - and nthen that stentorian bellow (in reverb) "Once again.... to bring you some of the interesting people who are In Town Tonight!"

And at the end - "Carry on, London!"

Most of the content was pretty tame, but the production was dramatic!

Your name is, of course, pure ITMA... Dorothy Summers was the raucous char-woman in question, looking in to ask 'Can I do yer now, Sir?' (On her first appearance the line wasn't quite right - it was 'Can I do for you now, Sir?' - the rhythm, all wrong.

As a child I loved the succession of odd-ball characters that plagued Mr 'Andley - Signor So-so (genuine Italian accent from Dino Galvani, The Colonel, ever ready for another libation, Sam Scram and Lefty who complained 'It's me noives...' All created by Ted Kavanagh, Tommy Handley and producer Francis Worsley.

And in occupied countries, even people who didn't speak English would still risk listening, just to hear the laughter of the British studio audience.

Daisyanswerdo Fri 17-May-13 12:25:52

soop I puzzled over Sikey for a bit because I used to listen to George Cole and remembered the dog. I think it was spelt Psyche!

(which reminds me of a Punch cartoon showing two old codgers in a rowing-boat looking at the name on a nearby ship's bow: PSYCHE. 'Cor', says one, 'that's the rummest way of spelling FISH I ever saw'.

feetlebaum Fri 17-May-13 12:51:36

Psyche was the dog in A Life of Bliss - played by Percy Edwards! George Cole was the diffident bachelor, David Bliss.

Nelliemoser Fri 17-May-13 12:51:43

I don't remember Dick Barton. I do remember Paul Temple they did some updates recently.

The Navy Lark was one of my favourites.
The Men from the Ministry
Perhaps a forerunner of Yes Minister.
All the above are on Radio 4 Extra.
Wasn't there a rather ?semi religious music program on about same time of afternoon as Mrs Dale's diary called The silver Lining? I don't know why I think it might have been semi religious. at least it seemed very earnest.

Journey into space.

What was the program with George Cole and Psyche called?
That guy who did the dog was the bird impersonator man???
Percy Edwards? I believe.

I suppose all this recollection is good for the memory.
I really don't know where In my brain I store this crap! grin

soop Fri 17-May-13 13:50:16

Thanks Daisyanswerdo...Psyche and A Life of Bliss...happy memories.

Nelliemoser Fri 17-May-13 14:00:00

Feetelbaum provided the answer just 7 seconds before I posted my question. He must be psychic. grin

Nelliemoser Fri 17-May-13 14:00:54

Feetlebaum rather!

numberplease Fri 17-May-13 15:51:15

Someone in the Navy Lark was always going on about his picture of Lilian Gish. Did she really exist, and if so, was she as gorgeous as he made her out to be?

Elegran Fri 17-May-13 15:57:34

Yes, she did exist, and was considered to be delish. I have just googled images of her and she is too. some of the photos very dated, but others stand the test of time pretty well.

Galen Fri 17-May-13 16:07:54

How do I find radio4extra on my digital radio?

mrsmopp Sat 18-May-13 13:45:09

Thank you for reminding me about a Life of Bliss - very funny at the time. I'd love to hear it again to see if it still makes me laugh.

The Goon Show - that was very popular.

My mum never missed the Archers and there was such a hullabaloo when Grace Archer died. People were really upset and the BBC was inundated with cards and flowers. Did people honestly believe she was a real person?

Nelliemoser Sat 18-May-13 13:52:59

Galen Keep pressing the buttons one at a time and see what happens! where's your spirit of adventure gone? wink

Did it not come with a set of destructions?

Not that I often read them myself though! It was about 18mnths before I properly read the instructions for my digital camera.

Galen Sat 18-May-13 14:11:39

Gary the Gardner did it last night for me! I do most things but not electrical. That includes the iron, washing machine, vacuum,etcgrin

terryb Sun 19-May-13 20:20:50

My favorite, which is still broadcast on Radio 4 Extra is "Round the Horne", next broadcast Monday 8pm Radio 4 Extra.

feetlebaum Sat 25-May-13 08:58:43

RtH - wonderful! Great writers, Barry Took and Marty Feldman, and a superb cast - and the characters! Chou En Ginsberg, J Peasemold Gruntfuttock, Julian and Sandy, Fanny Haddock, Seamus Android... and the rock on which it was all anchored, Kenneth Horne.

annodomini Sat 25-May-13 10:05:07

When we were children we were allowed to listen to 'Ray's a Laugh' with Ted Ray, 'Take it from Here'; with Jimmy Edwards and the perennial June Whitfield; 'Much Binding in the Marsh' with Arthur Askey and Richard Murdoch. And many more. Other Scots many remember 'The McFlannels' on a Saturday evening, a kind of comedy soap set in Glasgow, almost like a radio version of 'The Broons'.

soop Sat 25-May-13 12:12:25

anno All very entertaining. Not keen on the phrase - those were the days...but, in my opinion, I thought that such programmes were "wholesome", unlike many so-called sit-coms of today. Just saying...

harrigran Sat 25-May-13 19:00:51

Educating Archie, it was years before I realised he was a dummy.