Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

old radio programmes in pre TV days

(109 Posts)
mrsmopp Tue 14-May-13 21:12:10

Journey into Space scared me to death!

Have A Go with Wilfred Pickles, Mabel at the table and Harry Hudson at the piano.
He went round the country interiewing ordinary people.

feetlebaum Mon 19-Aug-13 08:29:07

@numberplease - Sorry! His name has never come my way...

feetlebaum Mon 19-Aug-13 08:35:53

Victor Sylvester redux... It's odd that Sylvester, whose music, let's face it, was almost devoid of any musical interest, should have been the most successful British bandleader...

He certainly used fine musicians; during the war,when Oscar Grasso was not available, Alfredo Campoli was the muted violinist, under the pseudonym Alfred Campbell...

Arena Mon 19-Aug-13 10:45:57

You can get all these pre1960s memories and music on Angel Radio.

Here's a link to it.

http://ukoldieschat.boards.net/

Poppikok Mon 19-Aug-13 12:57:15

Edmundo Ros and his Latin American Band

janeainsworth Mon 19-Aug-13 16:19:06

I remember most of the programmes mentioned, but the most evocative for me is the cricket commentary.
Warm summer days in the late fifties, reading my comics and books in the garden with the radio sounds wafting through the open window. For some reason the name of Jim Laker sticks in my mind.
And never getting a comprehensible answer to the question 'But Dad. What is silly mid-on?' grin

Poppikok Sun 25-Aug-13 14:53:02

Going well back now,remember

We three,in harmony,
working for the BBC

Ramsbottom,Enoch and me.

feetlebaum Sun 25-Aug-13 16:07:12

Ah @Poppikok - that was Happidrome, with Harry Koris (Mr Lovejoy), Cecil Fredericks (Ramsbottom) and Robbie Vincent (Enoch - "Let me tell you-o-o").

Broadcast from Bangor in the early days of WWII, it featured every available Variety star, in the framework of the imaginary Happidrome variety theatre, run by the three staff members. The 'We Three' sig tune was a parody version of My Echo, My Shadow and Me, by Dick Robertson and Sammy Mysels, a popular hit by The Inkspots.

Ramsbottom: I say, do you know anything about love, Guv'nor?

Lovejoy: I should do - I drove a taxi for five years...

feetlebaum Sun 25-Aug-13 16:18:20

I found this on Youtube! www.youtube.com/watch?v=987Cr8K8nPI