Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Old Adverts

(139 Posts)
mrsmopp Wed 24-Jul-13 16:40:58

Home pride flour graders grade every grain
Because graded grains make finer flour.

The graders were dressed in black and wore bowler hats like little businessmen. I had a salt and pepper set; they were very popular.

PRINTMISS Sun 27-Oct-13 15:43:23

Didn't realise this had been re-opened, we were only talking recently about "Don't forget the Fruit Gums Mum" - when the children were younger I was quite poorly and taking Phospherine (which I regularly forgot to do) and my husband pasted a large notice on the kitchen wall - "Don't Forget the Phospherine" - you know of course what my four year old daughter changed that to!

KatyK Sun 27-Oct-13 11:39:02

A Double Diamond works wonders so drink some today.

Henrietta Sun 27-Oct-13 09:57:15

Silexene emulsion
Silexene gloss
Get it from the factory at half the cost
Put it on your paintbrush
Then it can be seen
Wonderful marvellous Silexene.

I think this was a Radio Luxemburg or Caroline advert. I can still remember the tune.

rockgran Sun 27-Oct-13 02:51:11

Boom boom boom boom Esso Blue.

This is luxury you can afford from Cyril Lord. ( I can still sing the whole song, sadly! )

That cough does upset her what can mummy get her........ Venos cough mixture. (I actually sang that in assembly when I was five.).

"You can't have your kayak and heat it too." It's a Mackesans' maxim.

Granny23 Sat 26-Oct-13 23:28:56

I remember going to a Glasgow pantomime circa 1958 where they taught the audience an Italian song written on a huge screen. It went something like:

Diesso sine mensa pimoto ring ( repeat x 3)
Colla tiesso sine.

It was only when the music played for us to sing along that the penny dropped and the place was in an uproar. Never forgotten that magic moment grin

Daisyanswerdo Sat 26-Oct-13 22:59:15

Pears soap 'preparing to be a beautiful lady'.

opsimath Sat 26-Oct-13 20:16:02

Sorry, I have only just realised there are several pages and the Murry one had already been posted.

opsimath Sat 26-Oct-13 20:09:27

Murry Mints, Murry mints, the too good to hurry mints.

KatyK Tue 03-Sep-13 20:50:40

PK chewing gum I think. Anyone watching Ade on Adverts? Bringing back some memories for me.

AlieOxon Tue 03-Sep-13 18:16:35

Does anyone know?

AlieOxon Mon 26-Aug-13 14:35:14

I'm guessing this was an advert:

PK, penny a packet
first you chew it then you crack it
then you stick it on your jacket
PK, penny a packet

Was it? Or just a kids' skipping rhyme?

tattynan Sun 25-Aug-13 22:33:17

Ticker ticker Timex tra la la .(Christmas ad)

Bum bum bum bum Esso blu.

Pilsbury dough boy getting prodded in the tummy. He was cute.Think he wore a little chef hat.

Dancing Aztec for Aztec choc bar.

feetlebaum Fri 09-Aug-13 11:28:08

@Ariadne : 'Made to make..." That's a hoot!

"It's not me Ma'am - it's me little perforations!" - Roy Hudd, for Lyons' Quick Brew Tea. They 'let the flavour flood out', apparently...

numberplease Mon 05-Aug-13 23:22:07

Does anyone remember Jimmy Young as Mrs. Bradshaws lodger in the old Surf adverts, circa very early 60s?

Marelli Mon 05-Aug-13 22:26:24

There's a C&A in Bruges, as well. Always nip in if I get the chance. smile

Marelli Mon 05-Aug-13 22:21:52

'Cadum for Madam' (soap which was a bit like Camay).

Joan Mon 05-Aug-13 22:16:10

nightowl Yes, I love that Yorkshire Airlines spoof too. Loved the idea of 'Alan Bennet' class and wish I could write comedy like that.

KatyK Mon 05-Aug-13 15:42:49

Mamalu. Somewhere in the depths of my mind I seem to think the 'proper little madam' ad was for Clarks Shoes.

Ariadne Mon 05-Aug-13 13:48:22

Or Theseus' version - "made to make your gob dribble." You can see the problems I have! DC thought it was hysterically funny, and repeated it at inopportune moments..

feetlebaum Mon 05-Aug-13 10:37:20

Opal Fruits!
Made to make your mouth water!

nightowl Mon 05-Aug-13 09:49:30

Joan I have only just seen the Yorkshire Airlines spoof, and I love it! All the details are there, I particularly love the antimacassars on the seat backs (not that they are specific to Yorkshire, I'm sure).

It reminded me of another old advert for beer? Two men on a hill looking at the landscape and one says 'you don't find much like it outside Yorkshire' -must go off and google it now to see whether my memory is playing tricks.....

Mamalu Mon 05-Aug-13 09:33:22

Anyone remember the little girl who said 'Mummy says when I grow up I am going to be a proper little madam?' I think it may have been Cadbury chocolate fingers

mrsmopp Sun 04-Aug-13 15:06:49

Pedant!

Sook Sat 03-Aug-13 23:26:48

I think that should be until blush

Sook Sat 03-Aug-13 23:25:52

Ariadne my husbands nan lived till she was 98, her secret was a Beechams powder in the morning and one in the evening. I can remember my own nan having bile beans but can't remember the colour.