Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Evocative sights and smells

(37 Posts)
NanKate Tue 25-Mar-14 18:21:00

Blossom in the springtime reminds me of our garden in the 1950s. Oh and roses had a far stronger perfume than today.

annodomini Fri 04-Apr-14 22:30:33

Coty's l'Aimant was available as a cream perfume as was their Muguet. Loved both of them.

rosesarered Fri 04-Apr-14 22:44:02

A set of Coty L'aimant was the first present my DH ever gave me [1969].
I recently bought the body spray in the supermarket, just to remind myself, it's ok but maybe a young sort of perfume.
mrsmopp I know what you mean about the leather satchel!Any whiff of leather brings that memory back of setting off for grammar school aged 11 feeling small but important at the same time.smile

mrsmopp Fri 04-Apr-14 22:48:43

wink glad it's not just me!

annodomini Fri 04-Apr-14 23:30:11

One of our rites of passage was to be taken to a saddler's shop for a new satchel. When I started secondary school I was given a leather briefcase which was carried in my bike basket. I love the smell of new leather.

pinkprincess Sun 06-Apr-14 00:01:02

L'aimant brings back happy memories of my youth as well. As well as ''Ma Griffe''by Carven.I bought a bottle of this in 1969 and the next day I found out I was expecting my first child.
Cigar smoke takes me back to happy childhood Christmas days, when my grandfather would smoke cigars all day. Cigars were one of his luxuries and he would always get given a box at Christmas.

mrsmopp Sun 06-Apr-14 13:26:26

Pinkprincess
Tom Thumb cigars for Christmas,
TomThumb in tins of ten
They're the ten tin tops
They're in all good shops,
Tom Thumb cigars for men.

A merry little TV jingle. I remember it well.
Men everywhere who didn't usually smoke would be puffing away on Tom Thumb cigars!

rosesarered Tue 08-Apr-14 20:28:07

At Christmas my Grandad gave up his pipe [for a short while] to smoke Wills 'whiffs' as they were called, small thin cigars[a bit like Tom Thumb cigars I suppose] they smelled wonderful.

mrsmopp Wed 09-Apr-14 11:32:10

My dad always smoked a pipe with St Bruno rough cut tobacco, he also smoked little cigars at Chritmas. We couldn't think of anything else to buy him!

papaoscar Wed 09-Apr-14 17:13:08

Loose tobacco in the shop - was it Finlay's? My old pipe tobaccos, Gold Block or Clan, and at Christmas Balkan Sobranie. We all smoked. Not many of us left now.

feetlebaum Wed 09-Apr-14 17:30:11

@Rosesarered - you triggered a memory! 1954 - first job, in an advertising agency - a lot of the copy writers were young women - boy did I get used to Coty l'aimant! It seemed to be extremely popular with them - and then my girlfriend took to it as well... It's the only scent I was ever able to identify by name.

Ah me...

sherish Wed 09-Apr-14 17:58:37

Blue Grass perfume by Elizabeth Arden was my first grown up perfume bought for me at Christmas by an aunt when I was 13.