Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

What do your ex schools look like now?

(64 Posts)
soontobe Tue 17-Feb-15 20:10:41

In the mood for something lighthearted.
Apologies if this has already been done.

How much have your primary and secondary schools changed?

Primary - Still a Primary School. And surprisingly very similar. And the road and houses around it too. Quite reassuring really.

Secondary - Has been a Sainsburys for about 10 years!

rosequartz Tue 17-Feb-15 20:33:21

My High School has been turned into luxury flats sad
I don't know about the two primary schools.
(Have not been back for years).

Ana Tue 17-Feb-15 20:34:39

I don't know, I don't live in that area any more.

rosequartz Tue 17-Feb-15 20:43:22

soon thanks for putting this on - I just googled my infants school and found a picture of some of us aged 5 in the classroom!

Infants and junior schools are still going strong.

merlotgran Tue 17-Feb-15 20:58:18

I haven't been to High Wycombe for many years but I'm pleased to see that my old high school is still going great guns. The uniform is different and the building has been extended. Rated outstanding by OFSTED.

Happy memories.

durhamjen Tue 17-Feb-15 21:01:03

Primary school was turned into a community centre, then demolished altogether.
Secondary school is still there and still an independent, but just a day school now, no boarding. Not that I boarded anyway.

Charleygirl Tue 17-Feb-15 21:02:31

My old school is still a school but I do not think that it is still a boarding school. I know that it has a headmaster, the nuns would turn in their graves.

Mishap Tue 17-Feb-15 21:24:03

Unbelievably both my junior and high schools are still in the same buildings.

The junior school was pretty ancient when I was there (built in 1910 I believe), so I hope they have done some improvements to the buildings - and built some inside toilets!! How I remember knitting my knees to delay having to run across the icy playground!

Th senior school has been poshed up incredibly and is a flagship academy with outstanding OfSted report. The basic building is the same, but it has been extended - it was a new build when I went there in about 1960 - so lots of glass and concrete. We had a mad headmaster - the first time my parents saw him he was selling ice creams in the foyer and touting his wares like a market trader - they thought he was the caretaker!

I remember our last day - the contract bus went past the head's house and we all threw our ties and hats out of the window into his garden as we went by!

ninathenana Tue 17-Feb-15 21:29:31

My primary school is still the same apart from extensions. My junior school is a car park. Senior school was demolished (shame, lovely building) and re built as a very modern academy in 2013.

Pittcity Tue 17-Feb-15 21:34:26

Visited my secondary school last year. It has changed in some ways but seems very run down and needs a lot of money spending on it.

lefthanded Tue 17-Feb-15 21:40:05

My infant/junior school was a post-war re-build as the original building had been bombed. My year was only the second year of intake in 1956. Still in use and still a well-respected school. My senior school was built in 1896, so it was an old building when I started there in 1961. It was closed down and demolished in the mid-seventies. The land has been taken over by a industrial training company.

soontobe Tue 17-Feb-15 21:48:28

rosequartz. I googled my primary because you did.
The website is rubbish, and ofsted wise, it is not doing too well.
And certainly no old school photos of me or anyone else on it.
Glad you found yours.

vegasmags Tue 17-Feb-15 22:03:58

My ex was outraged a good few years ago to find that his former boarding school had been turned into a corset factory grin

Galen Tue 17-Feb-15 22:06:51

The Friary school has turned into some sort of college I think.
And whisper it very quietly so my old headmistress Miss K.C.M.Gent doesn't hear and turn in her grave! Takes boys as well!shock

annodomini Tue 17-Feb-15 22:24:07

I looked for a photograph on line and it's unrecognisable, but then I left in 1958. The primary department was closed and the building demolished, then the secondary school was completely rebuilt on the same extensive site.

Leticia Tue 17-Feb-15 22:25:33

My first primary is now a private house, no idea with the second, the third is bigger with the old attached Head's house as part of the school. The first secondary is now luxury apartments and the second and third have had extensive building work and are comprehensives.

rosequartz Tue 17-Feb-15 22:36:49

soon it wasn't on the school website, someone had put it on a website about the history of our town.
I suppose I am part of history now at my great age! grin

rosequartz Tue 17-Feb-15 22:38:17

Boys!! Aliens!
We were separated from age 7.

feetlebaum Tue 17-Feb-15 22:46:45

The Grammar School I went to (leaving in 1953) is now the Sixth Form of a much larger comprehensive...

TwiceAsNice Tue 17-Feb-15 22:59:40

I don't know about the primary I went to but the senior school, a secondary modern at the time is now still the same building as a comprehensive with a bit of modernisation but apparently not doing well ousted wise, they had a new head put in to try and turn it around but rumour has it that it will probably be closed. I don't care I hated my time there

TwiceAsNice Tue 17-Feb-15 23:00:38

Sorry should be ofsted wise iPad respelt the word automatically

numberplease Wed 18-Feb-15 00:45:49

I left my primary school in 1954, just googled it, but could only find pictures on streetview, it looks the same from outside, but the houses around it look much smarter nowadays. My childrens primary school, which was across the street from our house, has, sadly, been demolished and replaced with new houses.

Marmight Wed 18-Feb-15 03:25:47

My first school was demolished in 1960 and a block of flats built on the site. My 2nd school is still a school - The Old Palace in Croydon and my last school became Sotheby's and was later sold to developers and converted to luxury apartments with houses built in the grounds. sad

absent Wed 18-Feb-15 05:10:09

Is the school an ex-school –certainly in some cases where there are flats or shops on the old school site – or are we ex-pupils?

I remember a moment of horror when I once described my ex-husband as my daughter's ex-father. I have, of course, never done that again – except in my secret dialogues with myself. grin

loopylou Wed 18-Feb-15 06:36:42

My primary school has been demolished, the junior school was in a Tithe barn so I imagine it must still be standing albeit no longer as a school.
The convent is now a Magistrates Court.