Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

A site to avoid, I think

(10 Posts)
AlieOxon Sun 08-Mar-15 07:54:08

I have warned my Family History group.

AlieOxon Sun 08-Mar-15 07:53:02

I got caught by this one as well.
ALSO - the first time I was on fmp for a short sub, they did the same thing, and I had a big argument with them before I got my money back!
Another thing to watch.

Goldbeater1 Sat 07-Mar-15 22:12:11

I'll avoid - never come across it so far, but I did find one that purported to track your ancestors military records. Not only did it not find details I knew already to be correct, they had the cheek to automatically renew the one month membership I took to try it out. Yes, it was all there, buried in the small print but I hadn't seen it. I decided to take the hit and write to them asking them to cancel. Imagine my annoyance when they took another month. It seemed I had to go to the site and cancel, not write to them - I'm a lot more careful these days!

AlieOxon Sat 07-Mar-15 18:32:03

Yes, I use any site that I can find - and forums and newspapers.

Just a reminder though, the site to avoid was called 'livesofthefirstworldwar'

Goldbeater1 Sat 07-Mar-15 17:51:12

Sorry that should have been smile

Goldbeater1 Sat 07-Mar-15 17:50:13

Hi all

I've had loads of info from Ancestry as well, but there are also a lot of holes in their data. My mum's maiden name is very unusual and I know for certain that her dad and two brothers served in WW1 but Ancestry doesn't seem to have found them - although they do appear on the WW1 medal role. I use them for the info they do have and don't take no for an answer if they don't have what I'm looking for.

I found some of my family info by complete fluke ... I googled the name of my great x 4 grandfather and the small village in the cotswolds where he lived ... found another great x 4 (or was it 5?) uncle who served in India... that led me to the British library and the India office, which will allow you to search their records online for nothing. Turned out there were actually four other brothers, all of whom served in India. Then I found the FIBIS web site (Families in British India) and now know both the cemetery where an ancestor is buried but also have a plan of it. I wouldn't have got any of this without Ancestry starting me off.

The best thing is the contact with others researching your own ancestors. I've had lunch with a fourth cousin in Sydney and am hoping to meet another distant cousin from Vermont somtime in the next few weeks. You just have to keep digging (smile)

rosequartz Fri 06-Mar-15 19:24:30

I have files and files full of information from Ancestry.
Some has been transcribed inaccurately, but you can amend the information and they will verify your amendment.

Perhaps, if your name is unusual Sarah, you may find by searching that it has been transcribed inaccurately.

AlieOxon Fri 06-Mar-15 18:31:11

I don't think you would get much from this site - they just like to give the impression that they are putting together a lot of stories. But I think the result will be highly inaccurate, from what I have seen!

I have had a lot of info from Ancestry - a lot of it from newly discovered relatives! And a lot more from all kinds of other sites and forums.

I looked at the www.silverhairs.co.uk/help23.htm site that someone pointed at, but I was disappointed that it didn't say that there is a lot of free stuff out there - first, before plugging the pay sites.....

sarahc446655 Fri 06-Mar-15 17:59:26

Most official documents aren't online - this I was told by a serious organisation.
I find it objectionable that you get all these companies holding information that is generally free - to ransome on some site. I was a subscriber to Ancestry for a while and didn't get that far looking for information and my name is very un-common.

AlieOxon Fri 06-Mar-15 17:24:15

It's called 'livesofthefirstworldwar'... (and I can't find a 'home' button). Apparently anyone can find who they think are their relatives and put in details of records.

This has resulted in my case in two different pages each of which has some of my Welsh greatuncle's details - and several of someone else's. It's a mess, and when I emailed them I got a suggestion that I should join - and PAY - to sort it out.
I have declined. I couldn't work out what to do anyway, it is so confused.
And if this is an example of what the rest of the site is like, I shouldn't touch it with a bargepole!