Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

" Saturday jobs", did you have one? And what about your chidren/ grandchildren?

(85 Posts)
Daddima Wed 20-Apr-16 13:25:15

I began working in a local drapery ( remember them?) when I was 15, for which I received 12/6 ( Woolworth's paid 15/-) I think all my friends had "Saturday jobs" also.

My brothers both had jobs as delivery boys ( bike with basket on the front) for local shops from about 13 years old, and this was after having worked on farms since they were about 8 years old.

My own sons also had jobs since they were about 15, but I don't think it's so common nowadays. Am I wrong?

Linsco56 Sat 21-May-16 16:03:42

On a Saturday I helped in my grandparents drapery shop. Old fashioned cash drawer and huge rolls of brown paper for wrapping and strangest of strange, all ladies sanitary products were wrapped in brown paper before being placed on the shelf. I can only guess my grandfather felt uncomfortable looking at them! Loved spending my Saturdays with them surrounded by balls of wool, knitting patterns, denim dungarees and wellingtons (for local farmers), embroidered handkerchiefs etc, etc. Miss them both so much.

My DD worked part time at our local Tesco supermarket while she was at uni. It paid for her nights out and holiday spending money.

Anya Sat 23-Apr-16 15:51:59

Yes, I had a Saturday job in Woolworths at 15, starting off on the sweet counter and scoffed my weight in brazil nuts. When I was older 16-17 I worked at Stead and Simpson. During the summer holidays when I was 19 I worked as a nanny/childminder to three little brats children whose mother worked. 1966 World Cup year found me working the summer holidays at Pleasure Land in Southport. I also worked as an artist's model but kept all my clothes on. All this to see me through my Teacher Training hmm

My children always had a variety of Saturday jobs and holiday jobs eg helping out at local pig farm, mucking out stables (including Red Rum's), tomato picking (beware the bees), courgette cutting (look out for blisters), and a Life Guard on Ainsdale Beach.

Janal Sat 23-Apr-16 15:04:45

My son had a job in a supermarket scraping the mould off packets of cheese and re wrapping them.

baubles Sat 23-Apr-16 08:36:23

My first job was my older brother's paper round when he tired of it, I think I was 12 or 13. A year or two later I started a Saturday job in a local newsagent along with a friend. We occasionally found ourselves 'accidentally' dropping bars of chocolate which then couldn't be sold. The manager let us take any broken bars home.

I also babysat for the same family for several years.

My DD started waitressing at 14 in a local coffee shop but soon discovered that her natural ability to trip over her own feet wasn't compatible with the job. She moved on to retail and had weekend jobs in clothes shops until she graduated from university. She still fell over her feet though.

DS delivered papers then worked in a supermarket.

DD has a very strong work ethic. DS sees it as a necessary evil. grin

Nannyfrance Sat 23-Apr-16 08:05:45

I worked in a green grocers/fishmongers for 15/- a day. When I threatened to go to Woolworths to work, as they paid more, the boss increased my pay to 17/6. I started work at 9am, had 1 hour for lunch and finished at 6pm. It was a very busy shop and I was expected to lift and carry 56lb sacks of potatoes and heavy boxes of fish. When I got home I had to take a bath and wash all my clothes to get rid of the fishy smell. Not a nice job, but it made me appreciate the office jobs I had when I left school.

grands Sat 23-Apr-16 02:45:55

Yes, I did have a Saturday job. I worked in a gent's shop in the shoe department. No, the younger members of family have not had Saturday jobs. Seems like the youngsters wanted Social life. As majority work Monday to Friday mainly. I think the younger generations have been encouraged to be assertive, and many prioritise :- Seeking out what they want. Meanwhile they are often treated by older relatives. Whilst they use their own time and any funds gathered to party etc.

Some previous generations had more responsibility. Maybe for sibling/s or helping Gran etc. Maybe that responsibility made us grow up faster, wanting to work, earn, provide gifts etc for family and friends.

lynnie1 Fri 22-Apr-16 21:15:39

I did Saturday mornings at the papershop over the road age twelve. My cousin and I applied for Woolies and I can remember doing a maths test. I was on ladies tights and then cashier. My enduring disappointment was that I never made the records counter....

grannyactivist Fri 22-Apr-16 19:41:38

My mum had a Saturday job so I had to stay home and look after my siblings. When I was 15 I had to leave school and go to work; my dad cut out two ads from the newspaper and told me to apply for both. I got the first job I applied for at the princely sum of 6 guineas a week and thereafter handed my unopened wage packets to my dad and was given ten shillings back to pay for bus fares etc.
My children have all had jobs from age 14 and sometimes two or three at a time. However when they were at university they all only worked (work - still got one at uni) during the holidays as their courses were (are) all pretty full on.

jan727 Fri 22-Apr-16 19:22:07

I worked in Timothy Whites-like Boots now.I too received 19s 9d for the Saturday and £3 9s 9d for the week (in the holidays). My DD worked in a clothes kiosk at West Bay (Broadchurch) and was paid £12 aday ! I used to stay and work with her. It was a great time. We did that for two summer holidays-and we received a reduction on any clothes we wanted.

Phoebes Fri 22-Apr-16 18:20:33

I worked in the local sweet shop for three evenings while I was in the sixth form and was paid 3/6 a session. It put me off sweets for life, but not chocolate! I also worked at M&S one Christmas for two weeks and was mortified when I was put on Men's underwear!
Once I had got my degree, I was able to do some supply teaching in local primary and infants schools, prior to doing my teaching diploma, which was fun, more lucrative and I was able to make contributions towards my future teacher's pension.
Our daughter worked every summer holiday from the age of 13or14. She always worked at the Oxford College where my husband worked
until he retired, at first, just going in to make hot chocolate for the students on the summer foreign students course, then gradually progressing to being a monitor and taking them on trips, meeting them at the airport etc. She finished up, after she got her degree, by teaching history of art to American students on the Summer English course, which was very lucrative.

Grandmama Fri 22-Apr-16 18:16:23

Daughter number 2 had a Saturday job as a cleaner in local holiday homes.

I had a Saturday job from the age of 14 in a paint and wallpaper shop - £1 a day and I sometimes worked there in school holidays. I got a 33% discount on purchases and I picked up decorating skills (I'm still a mean hand at painting and wallpapering).

I had two years on the Christmas post. Summer holiday jobs were (1) a ward maid in a private mental hospital - this paid for an overland camping trip to Morocco (2) a ward maid in a state mental hospital - paid for 4 weeks hitchhiking around Italy (3) delivering leaflets for a carpet firm (4) in a nursery disbudding chrysanthemums/planting out lettuces - three of us friends worked there - this paid for a 6th form study cruise in the Med. Our hands went green from the disbudding and we had to wash them in a mixture of Ajax and bleach every night to get them clean!

Maggiemaybe Fri 22-Apr-16 18:07:49

My DC all worked at local pubs, washing up, waitressing, behind the bar according to their ages. And at Subway - one day a friend of ours walked in to find all three in a line behind the counter, serving tongs in hand. He thought we'd bought into it grin

Maggiemaybe Fri 22-Apr-16 18:03:17

jaspersgran's fruit picking has just reminded me that I had a Saturday/holiday job when I was 7 or 8 as well in the early 1960s - picking rose hips for the people who made rose hip syrup. We'd all drag our bagsful into the school hall and pour them onto the massive weighing scales, and we were paid so much a pound. The local farmers used to employ children that age to pick potatoes as well - I only lasted one day at that, it was back-breaking!

AlgeswifeVal Fri 22-Apr-16 16:59:35

I worked in a sub post office every Saturday at age 14 years this was in 1959, one side of the shop was confectionary, papers and cigarettes. My boss was Mrs Seal and she did the post office part and I was behind the sweet counter. I was paid 12/6p but she made me save some of it and she opened me a post office savings account. I suppose she thought it was a good idea.

NotSpaghetti Fri 22-Apr-16 15:44:54

I worked in a dress shop from about age 14 but best of all I earned 41p an hour waitressing in 1971. It was a summer job and I loved it because I was at the seaside. What I didn't like was the split shifts and long walks to/from work. I also didn't like it that the pay was still at the 41p mark many years later as there were plenty of young people in rural Wales looking for holiday jobs!

All of my 5 children had p/t jobs alongside GSCEs, A'Levels and University. Paper round, shopwork, cafe, restaurant, Dominoes Pizza delivery, IT support and secretarial work.

hildajenniJ Fri 22-Apr-16 13:14:23

I worked as a Saturday girl in Woolworths in Carlisle. We were paid 19s 6d, and when we go a pay rise it went up to £1.0.1d. I worked on loose sweets, it was the best counter to work on. Occasionally I had to work on bar lines, biscuits (upstairs) and greetings cards. I loved my time there, the other girls were a great bunch to work with.

chrissyh Fri 22-Apr-16 12:19:32

I never had a Saturday job as I left school at 15. I was 15 in November, left school in December and went straight to work in London on 1st January (no holiday then). My aunt worked in a chemist and I used to go with her and help out sometimes.

Redheadcat Fri 22-Apr-16 12:07:12

I really enjoyed working in the local garden centre on Saturdays from age 16. Learnt a little bit about plants although unfortunately the experience didn't turn me into an expert gardener! Had friends who also worked there so it was all very sociable, but it was good to get out into the real world. Two elder DSs had varying jobs, Sainsburys, M and S, labouring and office work in sixth form and Uni holidays. Youngest DS never did! Think it has got more difficult for teenagers to get easy flexible p/t work to be fair which is a shame.

Gaggi3 Fri 22-Apr-16 11:40:00

Never had a Saturday job, but, as a trainee teacher, worked in schools at beginnings and ends of terms, college broke up earlier. £2.00 a day and great experience. I often think I learned more from this than the course.

DD's worked as chambermaids, lots of hotels round here. DD1 worked in a lovely care home when she was a medical student and really enjoyed it.

jaspersgran Fri 22-Apr-16 11:33:44

Forgot that I also did strawberry and black currant picking too. That was good money if you worked hard.

jaspersgran Fri 22-Apr-16 11:31:20

I worked in a local hardware shop that sold gifts too. I loved it, can't remember what the wages were tho. Then moved on to good old Woollies. I was put on the sweet counter because I passed their maths test and then went on to the checkouts. It was when decimalisation came in, so was a great experience. I was given time off for playing hockey and netball for the school and then got holiday money owed, when I left. Couldn't believe that working just on a Saturday entitled me to holiday pay!
All my children had a once a week paper round and then all had a Saturday job.

mcculloch29 Fri 22-Apr-16 11:26:47

I didn't have a Saturday job, but I was my older sister's office junior in school holidays in the mid Seventies. I used my £2 for 3 days wages to buy some of my own clothes, although all I could afford were sale prices, usually.
Clothes were so expensive then, relatively speaking, weren't they?
I remember buying myself a pair of burnt orange Oxford bags, a pair of black velvet knickerbockers, a pair of white denim flared jeans with cream string macrame style inserts over the denim on the outer leg seam and an odd yellow-green knitted short sleeve top that predated the holey 'grunge' look by twenty years.
My son was a paper boy 7 days a week, and worked on a farm in the school holidays from the age of 13. My daughter worked as a babysitter/nanny then a cleaner and waitress from the age of 14.
My grand-daughter and grandson are almost 15 and 13, both have paper rounds. I can remember that one entrepreneur - it may have been Chris Evans - always asks if potential employees had a job before the age of 16. Those who didn't are unlikely to be employed.

BRedhead59 Fri 22-Apr-16 11:18:50

I worked at the 'big Georgian house' down the road. I played with the kids including tennis and swimming. I entertained the French girls (my age) who arrived each summer. I loaded the dishwasher before most people had heard of one and served tea to their Victorian Granny at 4pm. I got ten shillings a day.

Craftycat Fri 22-Apr-16 11:17:45

I worked in C&A Modes at 15- remember them?? Very cheap ( & probably nasty) clothes.
The worst bit was having to spray the communal changing rooms with air freshener in the summer. It really stank on a hot day!

My sons worked in a local Old People's home giving out & collecting tea trays & then spending time talking, reading to & playing cards etc with the residents . I think it taught them a lot- they enjoyed it.

Juggernaut Fri 22-Apr-16 11:09:59

I forgot to say my DS had a Saturday job at a very 'posh' clothes store. He started with them the week after he turned sixteen. They put him on a zero hours contract while he was away at University, and he worked full time hours there every time he was home on holiday. He worked part time for them again whilst he was doing his Masters, and they allowed him to choose his own hours, which was a great arrangement for him.
He also got a very good staff discount on clothes and shoes from the company which enabled him to buy suits, shirts, coats and shoes (Church's) which he is still using for work now.
All in all it was a very lucrative arrangement for both parties. He did some modelling for the company, both catwalk and photographic, and chose to have clothes in payment for that, so he has a huge 'formal' wardrobe, which cost him very little indeed. Now all he has to do is avoid gaining weight!