Gransnet forums


Getting a certificate.

(49 Posts)
AlieOxon Tue 27-Sep-16 12:16:28

I'm trying to get my marriage certificate from 1964.
I can't ask my ex, who probably had it, because I have lost track of him years ago, and I hear that he has changed his name, which won't help.
Next problem, it was in Scotland, and I don't know the date. I can't find a record online without going to ScotlandsPeople, and don't understand their setup!
And it costs £15. In any case they want a date. And their form to send won't print!

This is all to do with trying to get a child's certificate from 1967 from the GRO, which I tried to do last year.
I lost a baby in that year and all I want is to know what the certificate says he died of. The GRO were very unhelpful, but a friend suggested that being able to send my marriage certificate as well with the forms might help.

Any ideas? - Alison

tanith Tue 27-Sep-16 12:38:09

Are you saying you don't remember your own wedding date? I'm a bit confused. confused

Jalima Tue 27-Sep-16 12:52:32

It is cheaper to do it online direct with the GRO than go through any of the genealogy sites.

You husband may have changed his name since but the marriage certificate will be in his original name.

Try online, giving them as much information as possible; I am not sure why you had problems previously with the birth certificate as they're usually quite helpful.
I only once paid for and received the wrong certificate (an old marriage certificate from the late 1800s) but that was because my information was wrong.

Good luck

Some Ancestry records are free (not sure about bmd), however it will only give the quarter, not precise date.

Jalima Tue 27-Sep-16 13:33:07

Ancestry don't seem to have Scottish records for marriage, sorry.

Nor the GRO - Just checked!!
Is it a foreign country?

AlieOxon Tue 27-Sep-16 15:05:48

Yes - I don't remember my wedding date! Think I must have blanked it....

As far as records are concerned, Scotland is a foreign country, I think. they seem very possessive about their records in most cases, too. I don't understand their credit system and have heard that others have paid for too many wrong certificates, which is offputting.

I just tried ScotlandsPeople and guess what - 'The site is currently unavailable' while they reorganise.
How many more difficulties can I find???

GRO, looking back, I think didn't read anything I sent them, and got unreasonably suspicious because there were mistakes made at first, one by me and one in the Lewisham record office (one letter in first name of baby). Lewisham were very helpful but their email answer didn't wash with the GRO. - which is why I think my emails weren't read. I'm extremely annoyed with them still and can't now work out what to do.

Jalima Tue 27-Sep-16 15:18:02

Sit, think, calm, zen etc and cast your mind back to those years and what you were doing apart from getting married

Then you may remember the month and year if not the exact date.
Can anyone else who may have been there remember?

Alima Tue 27-Sep-16 15:26:27

Do they keep records in the district register offices like in England? If so I would start with an office in the general area and phone them to explain. Always assuming they take calls from humans. I have found register offices very helpful in the past, I'm going back a bit here! It's 1964, can you remember the season, hot, cold, snow? What the guests were wearing and try to narrow down the date that way.

Granny23 Tue 27-Sep-16 15:27:12

Here in Scotland I have found the local Registrar's office for the District where the Birth, Marriage or Death took place to be very helpful. They keep the records, going back 100s of years locally and if you can give them the year, names & adressess, they can search and produce a copy certificate for a small fee. Anyone can use this service - you do not have to prove that YOU are related. It is used by people researching their family tree but also by historians, authors,etc. My DD got a copy of our marriage certificate and had it mounted and framed for our Golden Wedding.

If you like you could PM me with the town you were married in and I will find the addresses of the relevant Registrar's office for you.

AlieOxon Tue 27-Sep-16 15:46:06

Thank you Granny23! I had no idea that I could do that. Will do.

Nelliemoser Wed 28-Sep-16 09:26:33

You should be able to just order a"certified copy" of your own marriage certificate. All you need to do is to request it. as with possible hospital records of where your baby was born.

I suppose you will need to give evidence of your identity as people get fake Ids by getting birth certifcates of children who have died .

AlieOxon Wed 28-Sep-16 09:45:20

I tried lat night to order the baby's certificate - and ran into a big difficulty in paying. My Visa card does not have an 'issue number' on it...looked it up, some don't, but the secure payment for the certificate, won't accept without.
I've emailed them.

BlueBelle Wed 28-Sep-16 13:36:40

I thought all visa had a three figure number on the back which is the security number
And don't worry Allie I can't remember my marriage dates either I think once you're divorced you wipe it all out

mumofmadboys Wed 28-Sep-16 13:41:24

Did you get married in a church because they should be able to do you a copy for a small fee.

AlieOxon Wed 28-Sep-16 14:46:55

No, registry office. I've now heard from them (Lewisham) and it looks as if I will have to do it by phone. If I can get it from them, I don't need the marriage one.

It's not the security number, it's an 'Issue number'. supposed to be 2 figures on the front, but not all Visa cards have them.
They are looking into the problem...

annodomini Wed 28-Sep-16 14:49:32

All credit and debit cards used to have an issue number but now very few do. And I don't think any Visa cards have issue numbers. The security number on the back is not an issue number.

Linsco56 Wed 28-Sep-16 14:58:37

If the payment screen insists you enter an issue number and your card doesn't have one, enter 0 (zero) in the field. Some payment sites will then allow you to proceed.

AlieOxon Wed 28-Sep-16 16:01:10

I did, having looked it up. It didn't.

GrandmaMoira Wed 28-Sep-16 20:51:30

When I divorced I had to send my marriage certificate off and it was replaced by the divorce papers, so, that's probably why you don't have a marriage certificate.

AlieOxon Wed 28-Sep-16 21:07:02

I have divorce papers, yes, but I think he had the marriage cert and all the childrens' birth certs too. No contact for years now.

Elegran Wed 28-Sep-16 21:16:55

I don't think the marriage certificate is taken away when divorce papers are issued. The certificate states that a legal marriage took place, the divorce papers that it ended legally. The fact that it did take place is still true, so the certificate is not a lie.

Since you can get a copy of a certificate, it would be pointless anyway to "confiscate" the original.

AlieOxon Thu 29-Sep-16 12:04:26

I've just phoned the Lewisham Records office and they are having to phone me back.... I'm running into the area of 'am I trying to get an old certificate in order to pass myself off as a deceased person...?' again.

As I did last year. This is because it is not 50 years since the death, and it's what I ran into before.

Nelliemoser Thu 29-Sep-16 12:32:59

Alieoxon What mess, there must be someone who can sort this out. How about contacting your MP?

AlieOxon Thu 29-Sep-16 13:06:02

Let's hope I pass as me!
But - I have just looked up the email a/d of my MP Ed Vaizey....

mcem Thu 29-Sep-16 13:10:35

My divorce certificate did not replace the marriage cert. I have copies of both and over time have had duplicates of both issued by registrar. I simply visited the office and left 5 mins later with certificates. Mind you, i was able to supply relevant dates!

AlieOxon Thu 29-Sep-16 13:22:56

If I can get the baby's certificate, I don't need (or want!) the marriage one. I would rather forget about the marriage....