Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Stores that are no longer in existence.

(176 Posts)
NanKate Tue 22-Nov-16 23:18:30

Just been listening to BBC Radio Southern Counties and they are talking about shops that are no longer in existence. They mentioned Freeman Hardy and Willis and I remember buying a pair of lovely stilettos made of a blue mesh type material. I miss not being able to wear heels. hmm

Any shops you miss ?

ninathenana Wed 23-Nov-16 10:12:53

Teetime Bourne & Hollingsworth rings a bell. What did they sell ?
I remember all the others mentioned.

Welshwife Wed 23-Nov-16 10:15:05

Texas was bought out by Homebase which at the time was owned by Sainsbury's

David Greig was our local grocers

Lily and Skinner shoes.

Co-op stores used to be a lot better too.

We had a local greengrocer who had a shop but also came round with a lorry which was a very useful place to get the potatoes.

C and A still operate on the Continent - think it is a Dutch Company.

Etam - our one used to sell dresses etc as well as underwear but the ones here in France only do undies and nightwear.

Christinefrance Wed 23-Nov-16 10:15:47

That is terrible Disgruntled, time to chain yourself to the railings in protest.
We have C & A in Limoges it's much the same as it was in UK.

Welshwife Wed 23-Nov-16 10:16:40

What about Heals on Tottenham Court Road - are they still going?

Maples

Skweek1 Wed 23-Nov-16 10:18:23

Etam - OK, the clothes were cheap and tacky and looked dreadful after one wear, but always treated myself to a new "special occasion" outfit for interviews etc and they did look stunning for that one outing!

The traditional Laura Ashley look before her husband took over.

C&A

Revis Wed 23-Nov-16 10:20:01

I spotted a C&A near St Malo in the summer- - it made my holiday!

Lilyflower Wed 23-Nov-16 10:38:35

Woolies! You could get anything you wanted at knock down prices there. And as for the 'Pick and Mix'. Alas for its demise.

annsixty Wed 23-Nov-16 10:44:05

John Collier's and The 50 shilling tailors. Its all coming back now.

Jalima Wed 23-Nov-16 10:47:09

Lots of the above but especially Woolies - particularly at this time of the year!

Country Casuals has just disappeared, the shops and also online.

I had a leaflet from the Original Factory Shop the other day and they are advertising 'ex BHS Jackets', so there is still stock out there somewhere.

When we visited Cardiff I used I used to like David Morgan's.

inishowen Wed 23-Nov-16 10:51:02

I remember having a gorgeous pair of orange shoes from Dolcis. I used to change at work and leave them in the locker room. Unfortunately I walked out of the job after a row about wages and forgot to take my shoes. I hadn't the courage to go back and get them. I wonder how long they sat there until someone else took them.

Jalima Wed 23-Nov-16 10:54:01

NellieMoser I followed your link about Lewis's' and noticed something interesting:

Among the list of 'Key People' - *sir Philip Green' hmm

I remember Lewis's in Birmingham.
Is Rackham's still there?

Green Shield Stamp shops

Disgruntled Wed 23-Nov-16 11:00:24

christinefrance you're so right! But I'm quite busy chaining myself to the trees that are due to be felled by Amey! Busy, busy. I used to think Sheffield was great, but my opinion is declining rapidly.

hildajenniJ Wed 23-Nov-16 11:08:44

With my first wage packet, I went to Littlewoods and bought a skirt and matching cardigan in a very lovely shade of turquoise. I wouldn't say I miss Littlewoods, but it was next door to M&S in Carlisle, and handy for underwear and tights.

GrammaH Wed 23-Nov-16 11:11:34

Oh yes, remember the ad "John Collier, John Collier, the window to watch" ?! Our first built in kitchen came from Texas & my first platform shoes were from Lilly & Skinner - the envy of alll my schoolmates! What about individual department stores swallowed up by the big chains? Browns of Chester used to have a really exclusive feel and it was a treat to shop there. Now it's Debenhams & a less than exciting experience. Cavendish House in Cheltenham is House of Fraser - not quite so bad.

trisher Wed 23-Nov-16 11:24:30

C&A of course- always shopped there when I was a student.
Freeman Hardy and Willis reminds me of wanting white stilettos- I was allowed kitten heels and warned of the dire consequences of wearing high heels
Binns
Bainbridges- which became John Lewis but was never the same.

chelseababy Wed 23-Nov-16 11:26:39

Safeway used to in handy spot for lunchtime top up shop. Ours is now QD.

dirgni Wed 23-Nov-16 11:28:11

Woolworth 's BHS - what a pity !!!!!'

hulahoop Wed 23-Nov-16 11:30:57

I miss c&a they catered for most age groups Germany still have stores . I bought my shoes in freeman hardy and Willis it had a good range at reasonable prices . Reading posts makes me realise how many shops /stores have disappeared ?

Diggingdoris Wed 23-Nov-16 11:39:46

Oh what memories all those store names evoke! Amazing isn't it that we all remember what shops we bought our favourite clothes in.
I loved Richards , Barretts and C&A's. In fact when in Bruges 5 years ago I spent lots of money in C&A's, such a delight!

Cherrytree59 Wed 23-Nov-16 12:03:50

jalima my mum had friend who was a window dresser for Birmingham Rackhams.
She (friend) took me to visit it Santa in his grotto. It was such a magical experience that I still think of it when I take my own DGC to visit santa.

I miss all of the above now they have been mentioned!
Now I'm thinking about shops , I miss PACO. It sold lovely jumpers.

annsixty Wed 23-Nov-16 12:05:36

chelseababy Morrison's have announced that they are reviving the Safeway Brand.

Antonia Wed 23-Nov-16 12:05:41

C & A is alive and kicking here in Carcassonne. The Clockhouse section which I remember from the UK shops has gone though. Not that anything there would be my style nowadays, but we find it is about the only place which caters for oldies around here. I remember Schofields in Leeds, I used to love spending my pocket money on their beautiful packs of notelets. I don't know if it still exists. And then there was Littlewoods where I had a Saturday job on the umbrella counter. It was just off Briggate.

notnecessarilywiser Wed 23-Nov-16 12:14:33

Anyone remember Dickie Dirts? Huge jeans warehouses (just in London, IIRC) that were open late, stocked every brand of jeans in every style and every size at reasonable prices.

Antonia Wed 23-Nov-16 12:17:53

This thread is bringing back memories! I had forgotten but there was the very posh Marshall and Snelgrove in Leeds when I was a child. They had a footman on the door, it was so very 'Grace Brothers!' I can't remember ever going in there though, it was far too posh!

felice Wed 23-Nov-16 12:21:39

We still have C&A here, does anyone from Edinburgh remember Goldbergs at Tollcross. They had the first Escalator in a shop there, I used to badger my Mum to take me just so I couls go on it.