Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Stores that are no longer in existence.

(176 Posts)
NanKate Tue 22-Nov-16 23:18:30

Just been listening to BBC Radio Southern Counties and they are talking about shops that are no longer in existence. They mentioned Freeman Hardy and Willis and I remember buying a pair of lovely stilettos made of a blue mesh type material. I miss not being able to wear heels. hmm

Any shops you miss ?

BlueBelle Fri 07-Apr-17 11:20:14

Is mothercare still going granny ours went ages ago and M and Co went too So I presumed it was countrywide

Lazigirl Fri 07-Apr-17 11:37:59

I worked for a few months in 60s in Boots (Chemist) Library in Dorchester. They had a regular, loyal clientele.

grannylyn65 Fri 07-Apr-17 13:28:19

Really miss Woolies !!

grannypiper Fri 07-Apr-17 18:04:32

BlueBelle we have both on the High Street in our nearest big town. Mothercare has 300 stores and M & Co have nearly the same amount and even have one in Dubai it seems.What a shame your High Street has lost them both

Ana Fri 07-Apr-17 18:11:50

M&Co is nowhere as good as MacKays used to be though. It's completely different.

Chewbacca Fri 07-Apr-17 18:35:11

The Happy Eater
Little Chef
Wimpy Burger Bars

All gone!

Maggiemaybe Fri 07-Apr-17 19:29:36

Planet seems to have gone, or it has from this area - I loved their clothes sad. We had a Next to Nothing and a French Disconnected (both surplus stock and seconds) in Leeds, which I used to frequent and really miss. Great bargains!

Maggiemaybe Fri 07-Apr-17 19:36:39

Oh, and Bradford had Brown Muffs, the unfortunately named very posh department store, where my friends and I would occasionally treat ourselves to afternoon tea, served by waitresses dressed in severe black with starched white pinnies. The polished sales girls on the ground floor were intimidating to a poor student and I was once persuaded to part with the equivalent of a week's rent for a cream blusher shock. It lasted me for about five years, so I got over it!

Gagagran Fri 07-Apr-17 20:37:47

Your mention of Brown Muffs Maggie reminds me a rhyme about Mrs Muff who lived in the rather posh Ilkley:

In Bradford, Muff is good enough
But on the Wharfe, it's Mrs "Morfe" (said in a drawled voice)

Do you remember Busby's store, up Manningham Lane, too?

Chewbacca Fri 07-Apr-17 20:39:29

Have Country Casuals gone too? Stores near me are closed now.

rosesarered Fri 07-Apr-17 21:11:59

Busbys looked like a Disney Castle, great store.Brown&Muff became a Rackams in the 1970's (Bradford stores) You can see all the old places if you google the store name and 'old photos' fascinating stuff.
Costers ( independent store) in Plymouth.
Fish ( jewellers) London

Chewbacca Fri 07-Apr-17 22:33:14

I haven't seen Windsor, Planet or CC ladies clothing shops sorry ages now. Even the concessions in John Lewis don't seem to have them anymore. Anyone else seen them lately? Or were these more that bit the dust.

Lazigirl Fri 07-Apr-17 22:39:41

Wasn't there a shop called Table Decor in North Parade, Bradford too?

Bellanonna Fri 07-Apr-17 22:48:38

I think CC were taken over by someone else not that long ago Cb. I haven't noticed Planet recently either. Think Windsor might have gone a while ago.

Hopehope Sat 08-Apr-17 00:17:54

I miss Dolcis too, and good old Woolies. Used to love Biba too but that's going back a way.

Maggiemaybe Sat 08-Apr-17 08:13:51

If I remember rightly, Pratts had been taken over by Debenhams by the time I lived in Bradford, roses, but was still talked about as Pratts.

rosesarered Sat 08-Apr-17 11:08:13

Pratts ( furniture and decor) on North Parade?That was a wonderful shop.
Don't remember a Table Decor there at all though.

rosesarered Sat 08-Apr-17 11:09:47

Chewy there are still Planet concessions in Debenhams.smile

rosesarered Sat 08-Apr-17 11:43:48

Reading through this thread it strikes me how many shoe shops have 'gone to the wall' which is strange as we all want/need/love shoes.

Maggiemaybe Sat 08-Apr-17 11:46:08

Ah, sorry, roses, I'm thinking of Busbys, aren't I? I think Pratts moved to Leeds.

Maggiemaybe Sat 08-Apr-17 11:52:24

Or rather, I'm muddling Pratts and Busbys. Plenty of senior moments this morning!

MawBroon Sat 08-Apr-17 11:58:02

Talking of Pratts, that was the name of the John Lewis branch on Streatham High Road back in our day . Lovely little "department" store, take a step to the right and you were in Haberdashery, a step to the left and it was Gents' outfitting!!

Maggiemaybe Sat 08-Apr-17 12:01:36

We're going over to the Bradford Alhambra Theatre later today. It was under threat of demolition when I lived there, then was given a last minute reprieve and was restored to its former glory. Such a shame that the beautiful old Odeon cinema building next door has been swathed in scaffolding and plastic for years now and seems to be quietly rotting away. I had my first date with DH there smile.

Maggiemaybe Sat 08-Apr-17 12:06:38

Sorry, I diverted from the thread theme there. Too much reminiscing. The film we saw was The Way We Were. (Exits warbling Memories, light the corner of my mind ...).

grandtanteJE65 Wed 07-Jun-17 14:38:28

Anyone else remember the lady in the Barras in Glasgow who made and sold dolls' clothes to fit all the usual sixes of dolls 8" to 22" that we had in the 1950s and 1960s?
Her husband had one of the remnants' stalls and she obviously used the smallest pieces of cloth to make dolls' clothes. They must have been quite cheap because my mother often bought us a doll's dress if we were ill in bed, or one summer at the start of the holidays for the dolls my little sister and I were taking with us on holiday. She made everyday dresses, frilly party frocks, slacks (in tartan cloth) and duffle coats that buttoned both ways, so you could use the same coat for a girl and a boy doll. They were really good quality too, washable and hard wearing