Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Problems with forum

(10 Posts)
AlieOxon Sun 15-Jan-17 19:06:42

TalkingScot was very friendly I remember and also has sections for other countries.

AlieOxon Sun 15-Jan-17 19:04:51

Yes, I think I'm still registered there. Thing is about this recent bad experience, is that I have been in a depression and only just decided that I seem to be getting out of it and would try getting on a forum again...it's not encouraging!

jusnoneed Sun 15-Jan-17 18:45:59

I like a site called www.rootschat.com
There are sections for different regions plus other help topics. Good bunch of people on there.

AlieOxon Sun 15-Jan-17 18:34:21

I thought I'd unfollowed it. Didn't open the next, just clicked Ignore Thread.

AlieOxon Sun 15-Jan-17 17:48:49

I've just come back from being in Oxford to find that yet again he's questioned everything I wrote.
Told him - sorry, but this has not been helpful and I shall not be answering any of your posts again. And Unfollowed the thread so I won't know any more!

PRAT is good, Linsco !
Shall look for local History Society. It's Dublin, not England I'm afraid. Or, anyone know a friendlier forum than boards.ie ?

trisher Sun 15-Jan-17 13:06:23

Not sure if your great grandparents children were born in this country or in Ireland and this may be no help whatsoever, but might be interesting for you. I recently spoke to someone whose GPs were catholic but who were married in a C of E church because there wasn't an RC church in our city at the time (about 1840s). If you know where they were living and it was in England might be worth looking at parish records for Cof E churches for baptisms.
If this isn't any use just ignore-hope you get some help and are successful

Linsco56 Sun 15-Jan-17 12:27:26

I've had similar problems due to missing Irish records and found the best help and information comes from the local Historical Society sites. The Kilrea Historical Society have given me more information than I would have been able to obtain from genealogy sites. Unfortunately, even with this help I'm unable to obtain anything other than church parish records and those no further back than 1840.

Ignore the prat on the forum, don't respond to his messages. As my DH would say "don't feed the beast".

Anniebach Sun 15-Jan-17 12:14:12

There was a fire in 1922 when many records were lost , there are several forums where you may find support

Bellanonna Sun 15-Jan-17 12:05:19

Some Irish records did get burnt, Alie.
Best just to ignore the rude man. Don't acknowledge anything he says.

AlieOxon Sun 15-Jan-17 11:40:04

I recently went back to a thread on an Irish forum where I had asked about my Irish greatgrandfather Frederick Andrews, to see if there was any more help there now.
Problem, I have this set of six children including Fred, and there are no records of births or baptisms for any of them.
(1828-1850. I have their parents' marriage. I know they existed because they married, and also from my Irish grandmother. No Civil records of course.

I have come up against a poster on the forum who seems to be intent on rubbishing anything I ask. If he does it again after my post today I will tell him where to go that I'm not answering any more of his posts.....
I really want some new ideas and so far I have not been rude, but I consider that he is!