Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Birth Registration

(27 Posts)
Anniebach Tue 03-Apr-18 13:33:40

Has anyone encountered the following

A child 3 Christian Names registered

A child same 3 Christian names registered same quarter. Same name of mother .

First registration has the surname of the mother's husband,

Second registration the surname of the man the mother of first child left her husband for .

Yes sounds muddled sorry

wildswan16 Tue 03-Apr-18 13:38:44

Would/could the second man have been the "actual" father of the baby - and only acknowledged at a slightly later date?

grumppa Tue 03-Apr-18 13:54:48

How interesting! Were they were both in the same district? If so, the Registrar should have noticed something odd when he/she checked the hospital notifications, unless this was some time ago.

Great basis for a mystery story.

Anniebach Tue 03-Apr-18 14:07:32

Good grief, I have just checked, both registrations on same page , it was 1979 , how ?

grumppa Tue 03-Apr-18 14:21:25

There are some odd registrars around. When I registered my father's death about forty years ago I gave his place of birth as Bridgend. My older cousin, who was with me, interrupted and said "I think they were still living in Merthyr Tydfil when your father was born."

"Too late!" snapped the Registrar. "I've written Bridgend now." And so the error has been perpetuated.

Now they show you the entry for approval (or perhaps not in Swansea).

Anniebach Tue 03-Apr-18 14:31:34

Well, not in Salford in 1979 ?. Perhaps she registered the baby, her boyfriend said no, I want it in my name, but registered twice !

Nannarose Tue 03-Apr-18 14:58:50

May be one of these, or even a mix!
For a long time - I believe since the first Registration act (1836?) the child of a married woman has been assumed (not just socially - legally) to be her husband's child. She has to state that it is not, then see below.
An unmarried woman can only register the child as her own. The father of the baby must be present if he wishes to name the baby as his own (there are specific procedures for men in prison / serving overseas).
There are checking procedures between maternity and registration systems to check that babies are registered
Parents can name their babies as they wish, there is nothing to stop them giving different surnames.

In 1979, it was fairly common for registrars to hold sessions at hospitals, and mothers who were still in hospital could register the babies, and save themselves a trip into the office. However, registrars were not trained to pick up anomalies, such as confusion induced by infection or post -anaesthetic, and there were a few problems (even on one occasion, the wrong gender). The practice was dropped during the '80s (not certain of exact dates in different regions). After that, any mother who too ill to get into the office, or unable to send her husband, can ask for a home or hospital registration, but there are checks to be carried out. I have known it happen a few times.

Situpstraight Tue 03-Apr-18 15:04:11

Maybe at the time of first registration the husband thought it was his child, then as you say they went off and registered again with the real father.

I guess the correct way would have been for the biological father to adopt the child,but it’s so much easier to just pop along and re register, and more fun for you!
I suppose with computers these blips will be sorted at the time and not left for us to find when doing the Family Tree.

Anniebach Tue 03-Apr-18 15:07:43

Suppose registration of a birth is allowed twice then

Nannarose Tue 03-Apr-18 16:38:15

We were told as midwives that registration is not allowed twice, but can be corrected. So I suspect that is what happened.

Situpstraight Tue 03-Apr-18 16:40:37

Oh dear Anniebach I was being facetious, of course it isn’t ok to register twice.

Anniebach Tue 03-Apr-18 16:58:16

Situpstright , i realised that, ?

Jalima1108 Wed 04-Apr-18 12:32:37

I think that the registrar probably didn't realise that this was the same child being registered - or it could have been two different registrars otherwise alarm bells should have been ringing.

How unusual were the names? If fairly common, then the registrar's office would not have realised as a child can't be registered twice!
Some members of my family have very similar forenames names (strange but true) but different surnames, and in the olden days some cousins had the same names.

gillybob Wed 04-Apr-18 12:36:59

My paternal grandma and grandad couldn’t agree on my dads name so my grandad registered his birth without my grandmas knowledge . My dads name on his birth certificate is “ Boy Child “

My grandma’s name wasn’t Mary btw grin

Jalima1108 Wed 04-Apr-18 12:40:20

How old is he shock

Long time ago in Bethlehem ....

gillybob Wed 04-Apr-18 12:42:34

My dad ? Coming up 80 !

Jalima1108 Wed 04-Apr-18 12:47:08

Not that long ago!

gillybob Wed 04-Apr-18 12:50:36

We’ve had plenty laughs at it over the years, especially when he has to provide a birth certificate for something or other.
Apparently my grandad was sent back to the register office to change it and was told he couldn’t! Oh dear . Poor little Boy Child.

Jalima1108 Wed 11-Apr-18 15:29:07

Anniebach I have pmd you re a genealogy problem I had - now solved!!
At long last smile

Anniebach Wed 11-Apr-18 16:01:17

So pleased for you Jalima . I have one I have searched for for over fifteen years , not daily , just now and then. G g g uncle William born 1834, vanished in 1871, I think went to Liverpool, what adds to the problem is he was born in Trewalchmai, doubt at that time there would be any attempt to enter that so born in Wales would do. Only thing I can be sure of is he died

Jalima1108 Wed 11-Apr-18 16:06:19

I was beginning to think that this ancestor got abducted by aliens.

But have found him - thank you!

Floradora9 Thu 12-Apr-18 15:50:11

Off the original topic but can anyone tell me if in the 1940s still birth were registered as births and or deaths in Scotland . I cannot find any trace of siblings who were still born. One I know the day of birth for sure but nothing shows up .I never ever even knew if they were given names .

Elegran Thu 12-Apr-18 16:28:49

I thought that, at that time, still-borns who had never lived were not registered as births - and if they had not lived, they couldn't be registered as dying either. - but apparently stillbirth registration in Scotland began in 1939. There is an article about it at www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2808697/

Grannyben Thu 12-Apr-18 19:36:38

I'm shown as being registered twice! Same name, mothers name, year, quarter, district, just different page numbers. When I told my mother she assured me she had only been the once and I have absolutely no reason to disbelieve her

Floradora9 Fri 13-Apr-18 10:00:58

From the SANDS wesiteTracing a baby’s grave
or record of cremation
It was only in the mid-1980s that the parents of a baby who died began to be consulted about funeral arrangements for their baby. Before then, parents were not usually involved and many were not told what had happened to their baby’s body. We know that it can be very important to try to find out, not just for parents, but also for surviving brothers and sisters. However, please bear in mind that it may not be easy and that, sometimes, a search will not be successful.