Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Joy in the care home

(34 Posts)
grannyactivist Thu 19-Jul-18 01:35:58

I have always had an interest in genealogy, but recently I decided I would use the skills I've developed to create family histories for some of the care home residents I work with. Today I handed over two completed histories (in the style of This is Your Life) and it almost moved me to tears to see the total joy they brought to the recipients. In addition to the more mundane births and marriages I used plenty of old photographs and included lots of peripheral, but interesting details; photographs of houses where relatives had lived, further details about some of the jobs people did, newspaper articles, old maps etc. I even found a wonderful photograph of a 92 year old resident's grandmother, a photo of a very grand house where another resident's dad had been born and details of ancestors that had lived abroad; plus war records and some very detailed prison records from 1848. One resident had an ancestor who, when he died, had 100 coaches and 400 men in the funeral procession.
Almost all of the residents were engaged and asking questions as I shared the information from the files I'd compiled, and after they'd been handed over I was humbled to see their new owners poring over them. I have come away with requests from other residents asking me to do their families too and there is so much now that's online I've already found some treasures for my next family history.
So, if you're stuck for something interesting to do with an elderly relative I really do recommend you have a go at doing a family tree. smile

grannyactivist Sun 22-Jul-18 17:21:43

ValC I know just what you mean about finding the 'right' person when so many names are repeated. Sometimes if a name is common I am enable to identify the right one through sibling matches or the work information. I do draw a blank sometimes, usually if there's a foreign born person in the tree or names are incorrectly transcribed perhaps. Another one to watch out for is when a person is in service in another household.
If you get your grandfather's marriage certificate it will have his father's name on it and the place of marriage and then you can maybe cross check against census information by seeing if the father's job is the same as on the certificate. Good luck.

ValC Sun 22-Jul-18 14:13:22

How I envy you your skills grannyactivist . A couple of months ago I decided I would start my family tree. I had been thinking about it for a while and after starting I wished I had started earlier when parents, aunts and uncles were still alive to give me lots of information. My grandfather was John Kelly and he was born in Scotland as were all his ancestors so it is proving quite taxing, My biggest question is "how do you know you have the right person". I will get there in the end but I know what you mean about time running away with you once you sit in front of the computer.

knspol Sat 21-Jul-18 20:15:18

Well done you!!! What a very kind and thoughtful thing to do that obviously brought a lot of joy to the people involved.

sarahellenwhitney Sat 21-Jul-18 14:59:32

Does anyone own a 'mourning brooch. These are for when on the death of a female relative a small piece of the deceased hair is displayed under glass in a brooch set in eighteen or twenty ct gold..On the back of the brooch are engraved the persons name and age at death. I have one of these brooches which was bequeathed to me in my younger days. I have since then, working on parish records, found out this person was on my paternal grandmothers side ,maybe an aunt or a mother and records from dates the person in question was born shown to be at the time of the Battle of Trafalgar. I am a hoarder and like to keep things but shouldn't we all retain some memorabilia during our life which may be of interest to relatives of ours, yet to be born?

Patticake123 Sat 21-Jul-18 14:21:27

What an amazing thing to do and with such great benefits for all concerned. I’d love to do my own but I was adopted as a child and thus have nothing to go on. Disappointing, but I’m helping my husband do his family tree. Unfortunately almost every other family in his home county had his surname!

Blinko Sat 21-Jul-18 14:18:46

Regarding relatives killed in battle in WW1, the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website is a mine of information. I found my Gr. Uncle's grave near Ypres and regimental information. I have been able to visit the grave twice. My grandmother, his sister, never could. She would be pleased that someone had paid their respects.

mabon1 Sat 21-Jul-18 13:29:18

My late husband and I visited the archives at Aberystwyth Council Offices and we were able to go back as far as 1779 in one afternoon on my father's side of the family. this was because the family had hardly moved from the parish until the middle 1800's - great afternoon's work. We learned that my great grandmother a widow purchased a new build 7 bedroom house in 1910 for the princely sum of £600.00!!

sarahellenwhitney Sat 21-Jul-18 13:04:15

Leggs55.As the gr, niece of a soldier who lost his life in WW1, I have in my possession a scroll that commemorates the part my gr uncle played in that war. It lists his regiment but I have never gone into taking it further.Does your mother know his regiment ?I think you will find out more if you go to one of the websites concerning the part the UK played in that war. Does the war office still exist? as they may be able to help if you give his name regiment and where he came from.

B9exchange Sat 21-Jul-18 12:45:26

That is a truly lovely thing to do. Our local hospice has a volunteer who goes in and helps the patients build their own life stories to give to their relatives, it brings them such joy.

sarahellenwhitney Sat 21-Jul-18 12:40:29

I attempted several years ago to research my family history when learning my great maternal and paternal grandparents had produced nineteen children between them.I found I had Dutch relatives another were New Zealanders. Disappointed I went no further when the Dutch side informed me they had no interest in their past. One wonders what could have been dug up?

Legs55 Sat 21-Jul-18 12:37:36

What a wonderful idea, my DM wrote out some of the family details that she could remember to assist me in tracing our family tree. Recently she rang me to ask if I had details of her Uncle who was killed in WWI, the village he lived in had no details & they wanted the information for the Roll of Honour, especially important as it will be 100 years since the end of WWI on Remembrance Sunday/Armistice Day. I have managed to trace back to late 1700s on my Granddad's side & early 1800s on Granny's side. To do this for others is amazingflowers

Oopsadaisy53 Sat 21-Jul-18 12:24:02

That’s a lovely thing to have done for them, I love doing my own tree and those of friends, but it’s easier when you can double check that you are on the right lines.
However, 2 people I did trees for had a surprise, I told 1 person before I realised that he was totally unaware of a detail ( he checked with his brother and was told it was true) I was mortified that I had told him, and the 2nd person is elderly and I withheld the information from her as I knew that she wouldn’t be able to cope with it.

So I fudged certain dates and names.

What do you do in that situation?

grannyactivist Sat 21-Jul-18 12:09:16

Thank you all for your comments, but I have to confess that I am getting tremendous pleasure out of doing this, so it's not an entirely altruistic activity. smile

Jane43 Sat 21-Jul-18 11:21:25

How lovely to read such an uplifting post. Congratulations on your hard work and thoughtfulness and what a wonderful piece of history for the recipients to share with their families.

Hm999 Sat 21-Jul-18 11:20:46

Brilliant

blueberry1 Sat 21-Jul-18 11:14:22

What a wonderful,selfless thing to do,giving up so much time to make your elderly residents happy.Thank goodness there are still people like you in the world!

4allweknow Sat 21-Jul-18 10:46:51

You are a marvel, committing so much of your time doing this for others and bringing so much obvious pleasure to them. You may well have sparked me into doing some searching on my own family history.

Elrel Sat 21-Jul-18 10:32:21

What a lovely thing to do! ?

Kate51 Sat 21-Jul-18 10:29:03

Such a lovely thing to have done. You are very kind

BRedhead59 Sat 21-Jul-18 10:29:02

I did a life story for my Mum and Dad - my Dad died 7 months later and all he told me would have been largely lost.
I wrote to their friends and got some lovely stories back.
My mum proudly showed the book to all who came into contact with her. Much pleasure for them and us who follow. Now I'm writing my own - I'm a bit slow but I'll finish it sometime - hopefully.

Millbrook Sat 21-Jul-18 09:37:10

Fabulous idea grannyactivist - and definitely one that could be taken up (with care) in other places. What part of the country are you in?

Noreen3 Sat 21-Jul-18 07:51:42

Grannyactivist

You have brought joy to these people,what a lovely thing to do.All too often,care home residents just sit around watching TV,not really speaking to each other.You gave them something to talk about and take an interest in.Well done.

gmelon Fri 20-Jul-18 01:51:16

grannyactivist
This is the nicest thing I have heard for a long time.
You are so thoughtful.

grannyactivist Fri 20-Jul-18 01:38:46

Oh dear - I've done it again - I got so engrossed in the current life story that I lost track of the time, I honestly thought it must be nearing midnight so I've stopped and had a quick check on GN and now I've just spotted the actual time! shock Off to bed asap I think.

Happychops Thu 19-Jul-18 23:15:31

What a lovely thing to do. Thank you for making lots of people happy.