Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

"New" cousin in America

(50 Posts)
Grammaretto Thu 29-Nov-18 08:04:34

I am on a FB site for the village my maternal grandparents were from and yesterday woke up to a message from America from a very distant cousin whose 3 x gts had migrated in the 1860s..
She sounds super excited and we will share research.
The surname is the same but as we are both tracing our maternal lines it makes things harder.
Has anyone else had success on-line?

Pittcity Thu 29-Nov-18 08:29:35

It has taken me many years of linking my tree to lots of genealogy websites to find a few genuine lost "cousins".
We even found a Jones in Wales ( that was all we knew but an email from a descendant came out of the blue)

EllanVannin Thu 29-Nov-18 08:55:30

I hadn't known about so many distant relatives until my late cousin delved into our ancestry. Hard to believe was a cousin in New York who had more pics of my mother in her younger years than I had ever seen, or owned. Mum and this cousin shared the same father.
Mum's father had a second marriage and this is where all these cousin's sprouted up. Melbourne New Zealand and Canada where two or three old aunts lived such long lives,into their 100's !

Grandfather's offspring certainly got around a bit. Mum's half-brother is still alive in his 90's in the IOM in a nursing home to which I visited a few years ago. Saw Norman Wisdom there too in the same home entertaining the patients.

Anja Thu 29-Nov-18 08:59:36

Yes. Found a whole family of lost relatives in the US through DNA verified by family tree.

MawBroon Thu 29-Nov-18 09:01:01

It wasn’t my own researches which uncovered this, but a few years ago I had a letter out of the blue from a man who is my half brother!
We are both very happy to have found each other but sadly have no shared experiences or memories as he was adopted at birth.

Grammaretto Thu 29-Nov-18 11:20:17

EllanVannin that's fascinating. Others too. I guess every family has its surprises and the more things are online the more likely these things will turn up.
On my fraternal line, a cousin organised a reunion and photos and stories came to light never before seen.
We also discovered a few skeletons and met new cousins who we now see regularly.

Grammaretto Thu 29-Nov-18 11:22:41

Anja I have often wondered how the DNA thing works. Did you find any similarities?

Grammaretto Thu 29-Nov-18 11:32:28

Pittcity a Jones in Wales!
I managed to trace Smiths for a Dil but she knew the village.

Grammaretto Thu 29-Nov-18 11:50:14

MawBroon I would think meeting a half brother would be very emotional.
We discovered by chance we had a half aunt. Who'd have thought that serious looking man in the photos had fathered a child before marriage to my gran!
I was sad for my dad who never knew he had a sister...........or did he?
Previous generations seemed to keep secrets better than we can.

sarahellenwhitney Thu 29-Nov-18 12:34:17

I know I must have many NZ relatives, having found several years ago a very old photograph in my late aunts possession of a family sitting outside their wooden home, looking to be from their clothes, late 19c which said greetings from our home in New Zealand. Also a photo of a young NZ woman, photographers address stamped on the back, to her 'uncle' who was my UK great grandfather. I found other family this time of Dutch nationality who informed me they were 'not interested' in keeping in touch. I gave up.

Jalima1108 Thu 29-Nov-18 12:44:01

Pittcity a Jones in Wales!
Tracing Welsh ancestors is not easy.

Jones the Bread, Jones the Grocer, Jones the Fish etc
Not to mention Catherine Zeta Jones grin

However, I did manage to trace DH's Welsh ancestors and one contacted me - most of them had emigrated to Canada so there are lots of cousins over there and in New Zealand and Australia.

Jalima1108 Thu 29-Nov-18 12:46:34

Mum and this cousin shared the same father.
Wouldn't that make her your mother's half-sister, not a cousin, EllanVannin, and your 'half'-aunt?

Pittcity Thu 29-Nov-18 12:47:20

We knew Mum's aunt's name and birth date and that she married a Jones and moved to Wales. It was their granddaughter who got in touch.

SueDonim Thu 29-Nov-18 13:21:24

We knew very little about my father's family until after he had died. His parents died young as had his three siblings, except...I discovered that in fact his half-brother had had a daughter and I'm now in touch with her daughter. I had no aunts or uncles on either side growing up so I was thrilled to discover this relative!

I've also been contacted out of the blue from someone in America who is related to my paternal grandmother's family in South Africa.

Can I recommend the family history website www.lostcousins.com to you all? As well as the possibility of being matched with lost cousins, the owner sends very interesting newsletters.

oldgaijin Thu 29-Nov-18 13:28:44

I did an Ancestry DNA test and has proved very interesting. It can help to solve mysteries but can throw up a few more!
Give it a go...it's on offer just now.

pen50 Fri 30-Nov-18 10:46:03

I have some second cousins whom DNA research has turned into third cousins. Which shows that you know your mother but not always your father ...

EmilyHarburn Fri 30-Nov-18 10:47:01

SueDonim thank you for introduction to lost cousins site. Am trying to orgnaise myself to make family photo story books about my grand parents and mother and father so that grand children have a family story to read.

Minerva Fri 30-Nov-18 11:08:20

Through DNA we found that half of my adopted daughter’s genes came from a totally different part of the world to what we expected. Only very distant cousins though but not knowing where she came from had always been a burden.

To make up for the lack of precise knowledge about their mum’s origins, on the Internet I have managed to trace my grandchildren’s unusual surname right back across the world into 17th century England. Completely fascinating.

My children’s results were food for thought. I on the other hand through DNA found what I was expecting, the most boring result ever. I must come from very unadventurous stock

We give DNA Ancestry kits for Christmas presents as they can be mind changers.

mabon1 Fri 30-Nov-18 11:16:05

I have a deceased relative from America - Murray the Hump, Al Capone's right hand man!!!!

Neilspurgeon0 Fri 30-Nov-18 11:30:27

There is an excellent website known as “Lost Cousins” which is specifically created to allow folks to try to link themselves to distant relatives.

Recommended: www.lostcousins.com/

AlieOxon Fri 30-Nov-18 11:36:40

I'm now in touch with my distant cousin June, now in West Australia - who I haven't seen since their family emigrated in 1948 when she was a teenager and I was a child.
She's now 86. She's sent lots of photos of their now massive family there!

I also have found many of my relations in Wales, and between them they must have ALL the most common Welsh surnames......

I have been recommended the Lost Cousins site before, and should revisit it.

Marieeliz Fri 30-Nov-18 11:37:25

I have done a family tree. How does the DNA test work. A friend said she had found a cousin bu, a cousin of mine, was just told of his lineage not any relatives living or family connections?

Irenelily Fri 30-Nov-18 11:41:41

I found a distant cousin in Australia through researching my maiden name. He had written a book on his ancestors who were poor farmers who took the upportunity to emigrate in the 1800s. We went to visit them and they came to England to visit us. He is quite poorly now but I am still in touch with his wife. Lots of happy memories!

B9exchange Fri 30-Nov-18 11:45:54

I found a 3rd cousin in the States I didn't know existed, through Ancestry UK. She described visiting my grandmother's house in the '60s, and she had better memories of the garden than I did! We were able to go out and visit her, she had the family Bible with the family tree in, including my father's name, and since she had no children, asked us to bring it back to the UK with us.

MysticalUnicorn Fri 30-Nov-18 11:49:52

I've been researching my family history for over 30 years. Can I be of any help?