Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Which site to use

(8 Posts)
prestbury Mon 31-Dec-18 14:48:11

I use Findmypast as the site of choice. I find Ancestry can be slow and not all searches are returned in a logical order plus Findmypast tends to lead these days with UK records, being the first to present the 1911 census along with the 1939 register and I suspect will be first with the 1921 census due in 2021, the last census that will be available for many years, the next one will be published around 2051

Fennel Mon 10-Dec-18 08:34:20

I asked for my post to be deleted because my link could lead to personal information.

jusnoneed Sun 09-Dec-18 15:15:00

I have used Ancestry, I pay for a month at a time (remembering to cancel before the month is up or you will automatically get charged for another).
Family search you can get some info free.
FreeREG is another good site for basic info about parish records, and another is FreeBMD.
Also try searching for county records via OPC (online parish clerk) groups. Put in the county name & OPC to google etc.

Anniebach Sun 09-Dec-18 13:26:55

I use Ancestry and Find My Past and rootschat and family search can be useful too.

Fennel Sun 09-Dec-18 12:59:08

Message deleted by Gransnet at the request of the poster.

winterwhite Sun 09-Dec-18 11:57:53

Thanks very much, Oakleaf, I’ll give it a whirl.

Oakleaf Sun 09-Dec-18 11:33:33

I like Ancestry as it's pretty comprehensive plus more and more records are coming online all the time. Like anything and because there is such a lot there, it can take a while to get used to but you soon find your way around and learn lots of tips and tricks to get the best out of it.

One feature I like that is that you can easily find who else may be researching the same person and family and therefore gain access to shared documents, photos and stories that one might otherwise never see.

It looks like the current Ancestry membership offer rate for access to UK records is £95.99 so less than £2 a week. I have the World membership currently on offer for £139.99 so less than £3 a week so about the price of a cup of coffee. I use the site a lot, almost every day, to do research for others as well as myself so I regard it as good value.

If you are in no rush, look out for free access weekends to get a taster.

You can also get a lot of basic data from free sites such as FreeBMD and Family Search.

winterwhite Sat 08-Dec-18 18:07:19

I'm thinking of doing some probing around into gaps in my maternal and paternal family trees 1880s and further back, all UK.
All the posters on here sound experienced and confident! I'd be very grateful for advice on how to decide the best site(s?), re both comparative ease of use and value for money. Thank you in advance.