Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

My DNA

(72 Posts)
Anniebach Fri 11-Jan-19 09:00:06

Just received the email with DNA results, don’t want to read it !

Anniebach Fri 11-Jan-19 17:35:48

Cherry proof I am not Viking thank you . I did keep falling of my bicycle, and the first was a three wheeler ?

Cherrytree59 Fri 11-Jan-19 17:41:06

Ah but the Welsh spirit -and bloody mindedess meant that you got straight back on againgrin

Anniebach Fri 11-Jan-19 18:06:00

True Cherry so true ?

Elegran Fri 11-Jan-19 18:13:37

The Viking ladies were probably more than a match for mere Baptists and Calvinists. Any raping may not have been a male to female affair.

news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/09/viking-warrior-woman-archaeology-spd/

Jalima1108 Fri 11-Jan-19 18:21:44

I'm sure the Welsh ladies were more than a match for any Viking too grin!
That's why they only left their mark on the fringes, eg Skomer, Skokholm, Worms Head, Swansea

Anniebach Fri 11-Jan-19 18:30:40

Elegran interesting, I bet Jemima Fawr was a descendent of Vikings

Jelima so they didn’t get into the Welsh valleys ?

Jalima1108 Fri 11-Jan-19 18:37:07

No, those doughty Welsh women probably repelled them! grin
or fed them on laverbread

Anniebach Fri 11-Jan-19 18:44:37

Don’t forget - English men place their wives on a pedestal,
Welsh men place their wives on their flag . ?

Jalima1108 Fri 11-Jan-19 18:47:09

Mine's half English, half Welsh grin
no wonder I feel a bit disjointed

Jalima1108 Fri 11-Jan-19 18:47:39

and breathe a bit of fire grin

Anniebach Fri 11-Jan-19 19:30:05

Jalima. ?

Lazigirl Fri 11-Jan-19 19:49:00

I am toying with having this done too but I have some reservations. I fear I will turn out to be very Welsh with some Scottish blood in the mix shock. I have no information about my birth father because my mother wasn't willing to talk about him. Is it possible that I will find out that I may have close relatives ie half siblings that I don't know about? I don't know what sort of information you receive or how accurate it is. Perhaps those that have had it done can say?

Tangerine Fri 11-Jan-19 21:45:59

You're Welsh.

The world has been going a long while so I suppose everybody's ancestors come from somewhere different if you go back far enough.

Anja Fri 11-Jan-19 22:45:41

Lazigirl if you have half siblings who have also had their DNA analysed by the same company you could well find links. Same with half cousins etc.

Anja Fri 11-Jan-19 22:47:41

It is very accurate. I found a woman living in Canada and we had a grandmother in common. My mother and her mother were half-sisters and neither knew the other existed ?

Anniebach Sat 12-Jan-19 08:29:29

I am so disappointed, linked with only one branch of my family, my fathers maternal line, all from South Wales, nothing from my North Wales family and it was in hope of contact with this line that I had the DNA tested. I was linked with 1 second cousin and he and I have been working together on the South Wales line for years .
One line out of four.

Anja Sat 12-Jan-19 08:35:17

Hang on Annie. It might be that some time in the future other relatives take a DNA test and provide the link you’re looking for.

BlueBelle Sat 12-Jan-19 08:56:41

Never had this done, is that all the information you got ? The bit you posted last evening 78% England wales and north west Europe which doesn’t tell you a lot really Does it give you percentages for those different catergaries I suppose north west Europe could be Iceland or could it be all the Nordic countries ?

Anniebach Sat 12-Jan-19 08:59:59

BlueBell it only give north Western Europe

seasider Sat 12-Jan-19 09:01:33

My brother never knew his father and suffered terrible bullying at school for being a “bastard” . He took a DNA test and coupled with a little bit of info left by mum he traced his father (deceased) he also had siblings. They did not want a relationship but provided photos. He also found out he has distant royal relations. He said he that would be a poke in the eye for the boys who bullied him!
My brother never spoke much of his youth (he is older than me) but at 70 years old has a new found confidence and identity!

Anja Sat 12-Jan-19 09:03:42

If a test was done through Ancestry DNA then it should show a list of relatives too BlueBelle ranging from possible first cousins down to more obscure relatives.

Then you can link in with other family trees through this.

The more people who get tested then the more links there can be.

Anniebach Sat 12-Jan-19 09:08:29

I had 174 4th cousins, and one second cousin, all the same line.

Grammaretto Sat 12-Jan-19 09:13:34

Well done Annie.
How does it work? How can the DNA tell how many bits of you are from different parts of Britain? Poppycock, nonsense all.
Ancestry is making a fortune out of us poor gullible folk.
Signed,
Sceptic
(possibly Scottish, probably Irish and English with a wee bit Asian).

Anniebach Sat 12-Jan-19 09:17:32

Will have to keep searching for g g g uncle William on my own, and there is family in Liverpool I would so like to find.

BlueBelle Sat 12-Jan-19 09:18:11

Thanks Anniebach and Anja I ve traced my family tree back to 1690 s and found lots of cousins back to 8th cousins met a few too one over from Canada one from Holland (on grandmums side) and lots of uk ones but the family story of dads dad has always been a big Dutch link which has also shown in my maiden name but so far in all my findings have not found that link and I ve recently wondered if this DNA would find it for me
I did all my family tree the hard way before the wonderful google and internet made it so much easier I traveled to libraries churches and lots of letter writing ??