Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

My DNA

(72 Posts)
Anniebach Fri 11-Jan-19 09:00:06

Just received the email with DNA results, don’t want to read it !

Nelliemoser Tue 12-Mar-19 10:08:55

I think I have let my Ancestry subscripion lapse. I had rather exhausted my search potential. Those in 1800s were very well behaved and stayed where they should have been.

I started doing it way back in 1985 ish, most of the relatives I can "find" are accounted for but with the ancestry DNA new stuff can appear.
(You lot are encouraging me back into this game. )

Grandma2213 Thu 14-Feb-19 01:39:10

9.1% should go with Scandinavian.

Grandma2213 Thu 14-Feb-19 01:38:14

I have been watching 'The Incredible Human Journey' a fascinating programme showing, from archaeological and genetic evidence how homo sapiens spread round the world from Africa. I guess some of us might still have those genes which might (or might not) explain why I am 1% Nigerian and 1.1% North African!!! 9.1%

Scandinavian I expected from Swedish Great Grandparents but 6.7% Finnish was also a surprise. I turned out to be 82% English though all my ancestors from my family tree were from Scotland or Ireland. However the map with the analysis had England covering most of these two countries too.

Mine was with My Heritage and when DS did his they immediately linked us as mother and son. He also had more specific Welsh, Scottish and Irish links so I guess the database grew more in the time between our tests.

They also correctly linked me with a first cousin but I have hundreds of third, fourth and fifth cousins! We must all be related to each other anyway. We are truly a Gransnet family!!!

Anniebach Wed 13-Feb-19 10:30:19

I had researched my ancestors for years Gettingitright , the DNA results confirmed it,

Gettingitrightoneday Wed 13-Feb-19 07:57:22

67% British Midlands with some more recent Irish and Scottish.
family tree information I have found in researching before the DNA tests came along still stands.
Leicestershire and Chester area for many generations are the main source. I knew about the Leicestershire lot but there we are, half of it is from Cheshire where here I now live. I have not wandered far from my roots.

Anniebach Fri 08-Feb-19 19:56:44

I won’t give up, would love to see the 1921 census , now !

Grammaretto Fri 08-Feb-19 19:52:03

Oh how disappointing for you.
Don't give up.

We put our whole family tree online on rootsweb and found cousins that way.
We don't have any living people however. They appear but are not named.
There used to be a site called genesreunted . I found one branch of my family on that.

Anniebach Fri 08-Feb-19 17:33:28

cavewoman I have 187 4th cousins and closer

Very disappointed about the contact, he isn’t related, he is a female line I am a male line, I gave him lots of info on his female line and asked just one question, the married name of the person he asked for info about, no reply . So back to searching for her marriage

cavewoman Fri 08-Feb-19 16:18:11

Great news Annie. Have you found your ancestor- in -common?
How many 4th cousins and closer have you got? Only asking as today I got to 200!

Anniebach Wed 06-Feb-19 08:31:45

So excited, had message through Ancestry, someone from my Anglesey family has had his DNA results and so was linked to me. After 14 years of searching for one branch of my family found a link . ?

Anniebach Tue 15-Jan-19 15:39:01

Alima, I thought me being Welsh would cause surprise ?

Alima Tue 15-Jan-19 15:19:24

Snap knickas (please forgive the pun). Received a kit from My Heritage for Christmas. Sent it off after NY, takes 4-6 weeks. If they tie in with your family tree I had better get cracking as I don’t think I have any info on My Heritage. Congratulations on being Welsh Annie, never would have guessed!

knickas63 Tue 15-Jan-19 15:12:01

I have just sent mine off - can't wait!

Nandalot Tue 15-Jan-19 15:09:53

I have had an update from Ancestry as they say they say they are able to become more accurate all the time. I am quite impressed because they have narrowed the Asian part from my mother’s line to the rough area where I know they are from. My grandmother was Anglo-Indian.
I was quite impressed that they contacted me with the update.

gt66 Tue 15-Jan-19 14:50:37

I had mine done with Ancestry.co.uk but there are other companies e.g. 23andMe, so best look online.

Floradora9 Tue 15-Jan-19 14:40:13

Where is the best place to have this done ? I would like to know where my father's family came from . My mother's family as far back as I can go all come from the same small bit of Scotland.

gt66 Mon 14-Jan-19 15:03:53

I recently had my DNA results. Iam 61% England, Wales etc. 36% Ireland and Scotland (my Dad is Irish), but 2% Swedish. I hadn't expected that and no idea how that fits in, but interesting anyway. DH's was more complex. Less English, more Irish, but also Germanic, Baltic States and Russia!

I agree with you Jalimal; I felt slightly disappointed it wasn't more specific, but then I don't know what else I was expecting. It did say that because we inherit 50% from each parent, that means 50% isn't inherited and that a sibling might receive a different set, so the more family members that get tested, a more acurate picture will imerge.

Anniebach Mon 14-Jan-19 13:43:46

If there had been more I would have said

Anniebach Mon 14-Jan-19 13:29:49

No more Jalima just what I posted , I have checked it over and over , unless have click the right thingies

Jalima1108 Mon 14-Jan-19 13:09:30

78%. England,Wales and Northwestern Europe

22%. Ireland and Scotland

I am wondering if these results are as specific as the DNA test allows?
Obviously they are not going to map your whole genome but I thought there would be more information than this.

You don't have to tell us any more Anniebach - just whether yes, that was it or no, there was a lot more information smile

advshopfronts16 Mon 14-Jan-19 12:58:40

Nice post..

BlueBelle Sat 12-Jan-19 09:18:11

Thanks Anniebach and Anja I ve traced my family tree back to 1690 s and found lots of cousins back to 8th cousins met a few too one over from Canada one from Holland (on grandmums side) and lots of uk ones but the family story of dads dad has always been a big Dutch link which has also shown in my maiden name but so far in all my findings have not found that link and I ve recently wondered if this DNA would find it for me
I did all my family tree the hard way before the wonderful google and internet made it so much easier I traveled to libraries churches and lots of letter writing ??

Anniebach Sat 12-Jan-19 09:17:32

Will have to keep searching for g g g uncle William on my own, and there is family in Liverpool I would so like to find.

Grammaretto Sat 12-Jan-19 09:13:34

Well done Annie.
How does it work? How can the DNA tell how many bits of you are from different parts of Britain? Poppycock, nonsense all.
Ancestry is making a fortune out of us poor gullible folk.
Signed,
Sceptic
(possibly Scottish, probably Irish and English with a wee bit Asian).

Anniebach Sat 12-Jan-19 09:08:29

I had 174 4th cousins, and one second cousin, all the same line.