Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Swearing in front of Gc.

(113 Posts)
Yammy Sat 16-Oct-21 18:59:22

Do you swear in front of your grandchildren?
I'll admit both DH and I do. Not really bad language but where we come from Blaspheming is still in everyday use and used constantly. So run to hell, or for Christ's sake is common everyday parlance and we don't realise we are doing it. Our family have never objected and the SIL think it is funny. Yet neither of us swore at work
A relation has got into bother for using the same kind of language and was quite upset they did not realise they were doing it and it was repeated by a toddler. Especially after the language that is used today both to other people and even on T.V., it seems pretty mild.
Our grandparents often referred to children as the buggering bairns and we just accepted it.
How would you feel if reprimanded and would you not swear in the first place?

Cossy Mon 18-Oct-21 11:28:47

Nice people definitely do swear ! A teacher wouldn’t say that in today’s world ! I try very hard not to swear in front of our GS, but I do use “bugger” and “oh hell” and “oh god” If I come out with something worse in front of him I immediately apologise and tell him I didn’t mean to say it, it’s not very nice and not to use my words !! Hey are only words and the meanings behind them not nice but the milder swear words are on TV constantly and children will often pick up very easily, no doubt they might hear them in the park or shopping centres and the less fuss you make the less likely you are to hear them repeated ! Our GS is now 7 and “poo” and “bum” are his favoured words shouted loudly Drives his parents mad !!

icanhandthemback Mon 18-Oct-21 11:29:09

I have always brought my children up to see that blaspheming is offensive to some people and we don't want to offend even if Christianity isn't a belief for them. As a teacher we weren't allowed to teach children that their parents were wrong so I used to use the same lesson with swearing. I have never taught my children that swearing is wrong per se, just that there is a time and a place. I also pointed out that the other children's parents may not be happy with their children associating with someone who swears so they might lose friends. In my classroom I wouldn't let the children say "shut up." It just sounds so horrible.

I would never swear in front of my grandchildren and my children would not like it even though they sometimes let slip. Bad language becomes habitual so using it means you are likely to swear in the wrong place or in front of the wrong person without realising it.

adaunas Mon 18-Oct-21 11:29:20

I don't intentionally swear in front of anyone, especially in front of children - grandchildren or not, but I must admit to swearing on the way home from work if it's been very stressful.

Elijah Mon 18-Oct-21 11:37:06

I worked in a primary school for 10 years and learnt not to swear but used things like sugar puffs instead. I never swore around my children and encouraged them not to use foul language either. They still don't around me or relatives ( most probably do when with friends) I now have 3yr old gs and he has come out with a couple of words which his parents laughed at till they realised he'd said it at preschool. They are now trying to stamp out any further slips!

Caleo Mon 18-Oct-21 11:38:17

My sons and their families never swear at all. I am careful not to swear when I am with them.

christine96777 Mon 18-Oct-21 11:40:04

These words where part of our everyday language, if you read Shakespeare, Marlow, Chaucer to name a few over our greatest authors, this was how our language was written, and performed across all levels of society. Then to help define a class structure some word we're not to be used in polite society, middle and upper class people started using different words fornication deficating and so on. All to distance themselves form the working class. I am very proud of my working class background and roots, and I choose to use my language anyway I want, with two rules, always in context, right word right place, which includes the situation I'm in, and never as verbal violence, I don't swear at people, same rules apply to my children and my grandchildren.

nipsmum Mon 18-Oct-21 11:41:35

I was not spoken too in foul language by my parents. It was not accepted as normal then and I don't accept it as normal now.

pennykins Mon 18-Oct-21 11:48:10

I don't swear other than s..t but never ever use the bad words that seem to be acceptable these day.
My husband heard our sons swear when they were 10 or 11 and he washed their moths out with soap and told the never to talk like that again in our house.
They are grown up now and my oldest sons swears like a trouper and makes me feel so ashamed.
We met our future in-laws and they swear constantly and we objected to our son and ask him to politely ask if they could moderate language in front of us so now none of them are talking to us as they feel that they have the right to swear where and when they like.
It is a total lack of respect when people do that and most nice people do not swear in company especially when they do not know the people. I have never met anyone else who does that.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 18-Oct-21 11:52:22

Usually I don't swear although I will admit that a mild oath does now or then escape me.

As a teacher I was accustomed to never swearing at or in front of the children I taught. After all children learn by example, don't they?

Standards differ so enormously on this point, that I can quite see that if you come from a family or workplace where swearing is accepted, you will quite naturally use these words without realising it.

And, in that case you probably either feel hurt or offended if young parents ask you not to swear in front of their children.

However, in this as in anything else the parents' rules apply, so if asked not to do something, I would make an effort to do as I had been asked.

Conners12 Mon 18-Oct-21 11:57:39

Now I say sugar instead of what I used to say. Grandson also uses sugar if he drops something. It was a lesson learned when I heard him

Neen Mon 18-Oct-21 12:02:48

My word, I'm not sure what to say. I personally don't like it and I realise it is an every day occurrence for some.
My daughters sometimes swear but as I'm a Christian, I really don't like the Lord's name taken in vein, so they respect that.
If it's a learnt behaviour and a passed on learnt behaviour, in the every day environment, how would you know any different, except you've written about it, so you do know.
I'm not a fan no. But each to their own and it's not my journey to understand.

Jackiest Mon 18-Oct-21 12:04:49

I never swear in front of anyone. The strongest words I use are sugar and oh pooh.

Theoddbird Mon 18-Oct-21 12:05:37

I never swear. My children would never swear in my earshot. I have never heard any of my grandchildren swear either...eldest are 18 and 24. Swearing is not necessary. Our language can explain anything we want to say without swearing.

Lupin Mon 18-Oct-21 12:06:07

I try very hard not to, but once in a moment of intense frustration I let a b.....r and a bl...dy go. My Grandson was shocked (he was 7 at the time ) and later told on me to his mummy. I was ashamed and told him.
I don't really like swearing, particularly from children or grandmothers!
My Dad used to give us a reproving look and say " I wish you wouldn't. It does not become you ". That was when we were adults. I don't remember what was deemed to be ' bad language ' in the home when I was a child. It was certainly forbidden at school and punished by detention and parents were told. How times have changed!

LovelyCuppa Mon 18-Oct-21 12:06:29

Yammy

Do you swear in front of your grandchildren?
I'll admit both DH and I do. Not really bad language but where we come from Blaspheming is still in everyday use and used constantly. So run to hell, or for Christ's sake is common everyday parlance and we don't realise we are doing it. Our family have never objected and the SIL think it is funny. Yet neither of us swore at work
A relation has got into bother for using the same kind of language and was quite upset they did not realise they were doing it and it was repeated by a toddler. Especially after the language that is used today both to other people and even on T.V., it seems pretty mild.
Our grandparents often referred to children as the buggering bairns and we just accepted it.
How would you feel if reprimanded and would you not swear in the first place?

I wouldn't. If the relative, presumably an adult, felt upset at being reprimanded, imagine how bad a child would feel when they eventually get reprimanded at school for using the same words.

VANECAM Mon 18-Oct-21 12:13:49

We were brought up on notoriously rough estate. We were regular spectators at the local football stadium where swearing has always been standard.

I never heard dad swear once as a child nor as an adult. He described it as bad language

I tried to do the same but failed miserably.

I manage to keep myself in check with g.c.

allule Mon 18-Oct-21 12:14:51

My grandchildren say anything heard at home is nothing compared to what they hear when they go to secondary school.
I think all we can do is to help them to sort out what is appropriate for different settings.

Naninka Mon 18-Oct-21 12:15:59

Our vocabulary is rich and varied. Why swear?
Use alternatives. "Jolly" can replace Fs and Bs. "Ninny" can replace Cs. And so on...

dogsmother Mon 18-Oct-21 12:16:08

Just didn’t do it in front of children. I never have.
I don’t have a problem with expressing myself with whichever words I feel appropriate with, company considered however!

sodapop Mon 18-Oct-21 12:16:43

I do swear in difficult situations but not blaspheme. I don't use the F or C words.
I didn't swear in front of the grandchildren when they were young but they are grown up now so not a problem. When I joined their WhatsApp group my granddaughter said to my grandson " Nanny is on here now X so no swearing " grin

janipans Mon 18-Oct-21 12:21:52

I always endeavoured not to swear in front of my children, but one day I had a whole line of washing out (no mean feat in itself with 2 tots and a twintub!), and when we got home after toddler group I remembered the washing and a frustrated "oh Sh*t" just erupted from my mouth. My 3 year old immediately started dancing around the room singing Sh*t, Sh*t sh*t etc. Luckily some quick thinking saved the day, when I asked her what she was saying and she repeated it, explaining "it's what you said mummy". I then "explained" to her that what I had said was "sheets", because my sheets were all getting wet on the line. She looked at me a bit quizzically for a moment whilst she processed that, then thankfully resumed her song and dance, but this time, all about "sheets" ... phew! I was more careful after that!

mokryna Mon 18-Oct-21 12:23:28

My 10 year old DD started at the international school with, what she thought was the worse swear words, damn and sugar. By the end of the school day she thought differently.

Another daughter had a similar problem with a school vocabulary test on French slang word definitions.

Ginpin Mon 18-Oct-21 12:37:42

No!
As a Christian I would never blaspheme anyway and am offended by others who do.

Children I taught would never blaspheme in my earshot.

As for swearing I do say "damn" and am aware of it. Used in frustration.

Never in front of my grandchildren though, because I always remember when I had a temporary teaching job for a year.

I was under quite a lot of stress being full time teacher and mummy to 3 little girls, 6, 4 and 2 .
My husband was a teacher too and teaching was his priority !!!!
So everything was left to me to do.

I must have used "damn" a lot at home because our child minder was concerned that my 2 year old was coming out with that word so much.

I was mortified !

Chestnut Mon 18-Oct-21 12:42:26

allule

My grandchildren say anything heard at home is nothing compared to what they hear when they go to secondary school.
I think all we can do is to help them to sort out what is appropriate for different settings.

Exactly that. We do not swear in a family setting but will teach the children what to expect at school, on TV, in movies.

If schoolchildren are using bad language every day amongst themselves there is nothing we can do about it. I doubt complaining to the school will help, although maybe campaign for a swear box and 15 mins detention for every swear word they utter! Might be difficult to enforce though.

I find it very sad if schoolchildren are developing this habit because once a habit is formed it is very hard to break. If all else fails then all we can do is make them realise it's not language they should use in family or work settings but with friends only.

Suzey Mon 18-Oct-21 12:43:15

Yes