Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

1921 Census release today

(110 Posts)
Oopsadaisy1 Thu 06-Jan-22 08:25:19

Only if you are on a certain website though.

This will be the last Census to be released until 2052, I doubt I will be around to see that one!

The 1931 Census was destroyed and the 1941 Census didn’t take place due to the war. So the 1951 census will be the next one to be released.

SueDonim Tue 11-Jan-22 20:30:18

Oh, credits! I’d completely forgotten that that is how you bought access to the census. I remember all that now, watching to see how many credits you had left and wondering why it was so complicated.

Chestnut Wed 12-Jan-22 10:24:04

If anyone has rellies in the USA they might want to know the 1950 USA census is being released this April!!
www.archives.gov/news/articles/1950-census-access

TerriBull Wed 12-Jan-22 11:09:05

AIBU to be disappointed in FMP and access to the 1921 census, maybe I didn't read enough about it, or even read through this thread. I always found subscribing to Ancestry and the accessibility of all the censuses they have, far more straightforward than what FMP have to offer. I paid for one month for what I believed to be access the 1921 census, but only in a very limited way, it shows who you will see on that form, but then a further amount is required for viewing the actual form. Additionally, I have put a few names in the search relating to 1921, then found nothing on them but when I put in the name of their spouse saw that they were actually listed alongside that person.

I haven't even attempted the 1939 census anyone had some success with that, I imagine once again there is a further charge ?

Sarnia Wed 12-Jan-22 11:11:48

I have done some family research on the 1921 census and found some glaring errors on the transcripts. When I have paid the £2.50 to view this and found the mistakes I have then paid a further £3.50 to view the original. It seems that the errors, human or computer, have happened on completing the transcript. It shows my Dad being born in St. Andrews, Fife, Scotland when his birth certificate shows St. Andrews, Guernsey, Channel Islands. I appreciate mistakes can be made, especially on a mammoth task like this but do I need to report it for editing?

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 12-Jan-22 11:16:11

I don’t think you’re being unreasonable. I’m disappointed after not having to pay to see things on Ancestry, only my sub. That’s where I looked at the 1939 Register. I’ve found a couple of people on the 1921 but also a good few red herrings and decided I was paying too much for not the results I was looking for. The search facility hasn’t turned out to be very good for me and my pocket!

Sarnia Wed 12-Jan-22 11:19:16

Germanshepherdsmum

I don’t think you’re being unreasonable. I’m disappointed after not having to pay to see things on Ancestry, only my sub. That’s where I looked at the 1939 Register. I’ve found a couple of people on the 1921 but also a good few red herrings and decided I was paying too much for not the results I was looking for. The search facility hasn’t turned out to be very good for me and my pocket!

I'm glad it's not just me then. I have always used Ancestry up till now and found it easier to navigate. £2.50 & £3.50 here and there soon add up. Thanks for your reply.

Chestnut Wed 12-Jan-22 12:03:47

I don't think you need a subscription to Find My Past to view the 1921 Census. Just pay £3.50 per original, don't waste money buying the transcriptions. That is certainly not expensive for the cost of transcribing and the amount of work involved. If you begrudge paying that then just wait until it becomes part of the Find My Past subscription. I don't think Ancestry will get the 1921 Census for about 10 years.

Elegran Wed 12-Jan-22 13:06:43

Sarnia Yes, report it for editing. They don't know that there is a mistake until someone with a birth certificate tells them.

If the transcribing is done the same way as it was when I was a volunteer transcribing for FreeBMD, there are presets that pop up when you start typing a placename, for you to select one. If "St Andrews" triggered one of those presets, the transcriber may have selected St Andrews, Fife instead of St Andrews, Guernsey. It is easily done.

The FreeBMD method was to have at least two volunteers doing each page, so if their versions didn't match then that page would be flagged up to a supervisor to correct. If the 1921 census used paid transcribers, perhaps they didn't want to double the cost.

SueDonim Wed 12-Jan-22 13:09:56

I think the advice to get the best out of the 1921 census is to use the advanced search, not the basic one. You can put in more info then.