Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Irish passport as a Brexit protest

(130 Posts)
Grammaretto Mon 23-May-22 18:01:02

Has anyone applied for this and been successful?
I am considering applying. My DGF was Irish.

Smileless2012 Mon 23-May-22 23:24:47

Mr. S. asked if I was going to as my maternal GM was Irish but I don't see the point.

Kate1949 Mon 23-May-22 23:25:50

Both of my parents were from The Irish Republic. I may apply.

Grammaretto Mon 23-May-22 23:39:21

I have family, including a DS in Ireland, who live in the European Union so it will be easier to travel to visit them - like the good old days.

Deedaa Mon 23-May-22 23:53:12

I'm very tempted as my grandfather was Irish. It will take a lot of research though. At the moment I'm not even certain what his Christian name was and have no idea about dates and places.

heath480 Mon 23-May-22 23:53:50

My daughter has an Irish Passport,you don’t need to be on the Foreign Birth Register,that is for Irish Citizenship not a Passport.

My daughter just sent off the relevant paperwork,all of which I gave her and got her Passport.This was just after Brexit,before large amounts of people applied.

SueDonim Mon 23-May-22 23:55:13

I don’t have Irish ancestry but a number of my friends have. Quite a few have applied for Irish pp’s for themselves and/or their children. To my knowledge all their applications have been granted, no one has been turned down.

paddyann54 Tue 24-May-22 00:29:56

You can do it if you have a great grandparent who is Irish I have a whole squad of them ,sadly I cant find their birth details apparently lost during the Rebellion .I'm heading for Donegal later this year to see if parish registers have them

vegansrock Tue 24-May-22 05:01:50

Anyone who “can’t see the point” obviously think Brexit a marvellous idea with no downsides for anyone.

TopsyIrene06 Tue 24-May-22 07:02:13

Just renewed mine and I mourn the old one. Would love a European passport because I loathe Brexit and if I could magic up an Irish great grand parent to have enabled this, I would be elated. What a loss but sadly I have said it all before.

Maudi Tue 24-May-22 07:10:59

With all the troubles in the world and you're mourning a European passport how ridiculous.

Pantglas2 Tue 24-May-22 07:12:08

For those of us not blessed with Irish ancestry, ETIAS is predicted to be up and running by May 2023 (six months overdue) whereby we can fill in a simple form on line with scanned passport and get a 3 year visa for the huge sum of €7!

The 90 day in a rolling 180 still applies of course, as it always did pre-Brexit. Personally, I haven’t found the queues for entry any longer than pre Brexit except for last time at Malaga where we sailed through the non EU lane whilst two German flights arrived at the same time and they joked with ironic shrugs that it wasn’t meant to be that way around!

Petera Tue 24-May-22 07:25:11

Maudi

With all the troubles in the world and you're mourning a European passport how ridiculous.

That's the thing about most remainers - they seem able to do more than one thing at a time.

Maudi Tue 24-May-22 07:39:37

07:25Petera

I've noticed they keep harping on about Brexit ?

BlueBelle Tue 24-May-22 07:49:48

Umstrong well there is a point my daughter did it for my grandkids when Brexit reared it’s ugly head as they have an Irish deceased Dad It’s already proved its worth when in my grandsons job they were asked who had an European passport for travel he had both and was able to go off and do the job in Europe
I d give my eye teeth for an European passport unfortunately all grandparents were British Thankfully all seven grandkids have ‘other than British’ passports so they won’t have the problems I and two out of three of my children may have

Maudi obviously a remainer who doesn’t see the bigger picture

MaizieD Tue 24-May-22 07:52:45

Maudi

07:25Petera

I've noticed they keep harping on about Brexit ?

And about the gobsmacking hypocrisy of people who voted for Brexit rushing to get their 'birthright' Irish passports to regain the freedom of movement they have denied to their fellow citizens who truly valued it.

angry

vegansrock Tue 24-May-22 08:10:27

Why not keep harping on about a sh*tshow which has negatively affected millions and cost this country billions? Let’s just put our head in the sand and pretend it’s all marvellous?

Grammaretto Tue 24-May-22 08:17:53

They have no shame at all!

On this genealogy forum, if you want some help with how to trace your DGP Deedaa pm me and I can chat to you about it..

Whitewavemark2 Tue 24-May-22 08:20:05

I’d get one like a shot if I could.

I resent that my rights to various stuff has been taken away without my consent.

Grammaretto Tue 24-May-22 08:33:01

Whitewavemark2 that's my feeling too. It would mean a lot to me and be a small victory in the face of all the bad things this UK government has, or is about to, put in place.

Grannynannywanny Tue 24-May-22 08:38:35

And about the gobsmacking hypocrisy of people who voted for Brexit rushing to get their 'birthright' Irish passports to regain the freedom of movement they have denied to their fellow citizens who truly valued it

Well said MaizieD. The effect it’s threatening to have on the Good Friday Agreement and peace on the island of Ireland is also lost on them. I suppose that’s just minor collateral damage that needs to be sucked up with the other little inconveniences.

Sago Tue 24-May-22 08:45:10

heath480 If you have a parent born on the island of Ireland before 2005 you are automatically an Irish citizen and can therefore apply for an Irish passport.

If you are claiming a passport as a grandchild you must first register on the foreign birth register, once this registration has been verified you may then apply for an Irish passport.
You cannot claim as a great grandchild.

I claimed my passport some years ago pre Brexit, my sons have to now claim theirs but via the foreign birth register.

Here’s the DFA link;

www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjn0_D90ff3AhXFnVwKHYXbDtYQFnoECAsQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dfa.ie%2Fcitizenship%2F&usg=AOvVaw1k_5vFeaPL0DU8iMX0Y55G

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 24-May-22 08:47:49

I couldn’t agree more Grannynannywanny and Maizie. My husband would be entitled to apply for an Irish pp but won’t be doing so.

JackyB Tue 24-May-22 09:32:40

Hithere

It would be interesting to know the increase in demand of EU passports after Brexit
How many of those voted for or against brexit

Here in Germany all the British expats I know, myself included, got themselves German passports (well, German Nationality - you have to apply for the passport afterwards) in 2019 to make sure of getting it before Brexit took effect. There were about 6 of us at the ceremony when I was handed my certificate, but in the local paper there were reports of 70 in a slightly larger town near us at one go.

As Germany would not permit dual nationality to non-EU nationals we all rushed to get it done before Brexit.

Then there were those who had already got German Nationality before that, mainly so that they could have a vote. I even have a friend here who is from NI so she already had two passports, but is politically so strong in her views that she, too, applied for German Nationality and so now has three!

As for whether we expats voted leave or remain - yeah well, we weren't given a vote at all, were we?

My paternal grandfather was Irish - from the North but as he was born before 1922 that is presumably irrelevant - but a cousin who was looking into the family history said that the information about that branch of the family was classified and inaccessible. We would love to know more. It may be that the records were destroyed in the fire in the Dublin records office which I remember hearing about. However, that is a subject for the genealogy forum.

Barmeyoldbat Tue 24-May-22 09:48:38

I want to but not not sure if I am eligible as it was my great other who was Irish.

Grammaretto Tue 24-May-22 13:29:06

What is a great other Barmyoldbat ?