Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Trigger Warning - It is Halloween tomorrow can you say yes to the following?

(50 Posts)
Yammy Sun 30-Oct-22 20:02:47

I was thinking of Halloween and my grandchildren having fun and then I thought deeper. How many of the following can you say yes to?
You know/knew someone who was,
Murdered,
Committed suicide,
Transported to the Colonies for murder ,
A committed paedophile,
A real skeleton in your cupboard or loft,
Someone in a Witches coven,
Someone who said they saw ghosts,
Sat with a dead unrelated person for hours until emergency services arrived,
Sat and ate dinner next to a person who had operated on you,
Been confronted by a deadly animal?
Been flashed at in a place you could not escape.
Last and not least fell into a new grave that had been dug.
I hope I don't offend or upset anyone but unfortunately, they are all yeses for me.hmm

fairfraise Sun 30-Oct-22 20:07:54

Just 2 for me.

Casdon Sun 30-Oct-22 20:12:33

Gosh Yammy you’ve led an eventful life. Did you really have an actual skeleton in your loft?

Yammy Sun 30-Oct-22 20:15:13

Casdon

Gosh Yammy you’ve led an eventful life. Did you really have an actual skeleton in your loft?

yups and when moving my toddler removed its teeth much to the removal men's glee.

welbeck Sun 30-Oct-22 20:16:38

i find such questions unpleasant.
and several of them may be triggering for some.

Grandma70s Sun 30-Oct-22 20:22:44

No, none of them, I’m glad to say.

kircubbin2000 Sun 30-Oct-22 20:53:47

I taught a murderer. Also when thumbing round Greece in my 20s a murderer sat on my bed and chatted to me in the big barn where we were sleeping. I had gone to bed early and was alone but
he was not a threat to me. His was an honour killing.
Relative was transported to Australia.

crazyH Sun 30-Oct-22 20:56:55

3 for me
Yammy - that’s an interesting life , to say the least

Grannybags Sun 30-Oct-22 21:03:21

4 for me. Unfortunately one of them was suicide sad

BigBertha1 Sun 30-Oct-22 22:01:26

tanith Sun 30-Oct-22 22:14:47

Nannagarra Sun 30-Oct-22 22:21:15

Yammy Sun 30-Oct-22 22:35:58

A lot happened whilst I was teaching and was in close contact with parents and colleagues. Some are actually duplicated in my case.
It is upsetting and I agree very upsetting for people who have been closely connected to victims. So why have we let Halloween grow into such an industry, you can even buy lego sets? Tonight the results of the deaths in Korea were televised why is Halloween becoming such a big event in more than children's lives?
When I was little we had a turnip lantern with a candle. Now the Supermarkets make special food and have clothes on sale.Is it all for Commercial profit?

BlueBelle Sun 30-Oct-22 22:43:56

You must be pretty old if you know someone sent to the colonies for crime as that finished in 1868

I ve known a few suicides but no one close to me
I ve known people who thought they saw ghosts
I talked to a woman who told me she was a white witch
I ve had a live (very large ) wild python around my neck ….does that count as a wild animal encounter
I ve stood next to a strangers dead body

Otherwise none

Deedaa Sun 30-Oct-22 22:47:28

The closest I can get is that I used to know a chap whose father had been murdered by the notorious poisoner Grahame Young.

MiniMoon Sun 30-Oct-22 23:02:19

4 of the above.
I have known 2 murder victims
2 suicides
My DD and DGD have seen ghosts
In my career as a nurse for the elderly, I have sat with the departed until their families arrived.

MiniMoon Sun 30-Oct-22 23:07:19

BTW my DD and family observe Samhain and decorate their house with harvest fruits as well as a pumpkin or two. My DD does not like the American import that Halloween has become.

nanna8 Sun 30-Oct-22 23:13:08

Is there a connection with Hallowe’en? I don’t get it.

maddyone Sun 30-Oct-22 23:23:45

Sadly I knew someone who committed suicide.
The parent of one of the children I taught murdered his friend.

Ziplok Sun 30-Oct-22 23:34:02

I’m not clear about the connection to hallowe’en either, nanna8. Not sure there is one, but happy to be corrected.

Maggiemaybe Sun 30-Oct-22 23:34:07

Four for me, and that’s more than enough. Sadly, I’ve known a murder victim, suicide victim, and a committed paedophile. I also know a couple who are certain that they saw a ghost (and were the last people I would have expected to say this).

Kate1949 Sun 30-Oct-22 23:35:09

Blimey. If we're going to say all the difficult things that have happened to us, I have a list as long as your arm. I don't want to depress people. My brother's suicide is just one.

Dickens Mon 31-Oct-22 00:26:51

MiniMoon

BTW my DD and family observe Samhain and decorate their house with harvest fruits as well as a pumpkin or two. My DD does not like the American import that Halloween has become.

I'm with your DD on that aspect.

I believe the origins of 'trick or treat' were poor children begging around the neighbourhood - presumably in the hope of being given money?

I do like the idea of decorating the house with fruits and pumpkins, but I won't let a scrap of plastic supermarket Halloween 'tat' anywhere near it.

AussieGran59 Mon 31-Oct-22 00:42:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Caleo Mon 31-Oct-22 00:54:32

In a train compartment I once sat opposite an elderly flasher in a short kilt.