Gransnet forums

Grandads' shed

Welcome to the official opening of Granddads' shed

(497 Posts)
tjspompa Sun 05-Jun-11 19:17:25

WOOT - Here it is, our very own shed ( Thanks GSHQ), real posh one too, no more old doors etc. it may be small on the outside but, inside, WOW, it's a tardis, plenty of room for everyone.
However it's a bit bare atm, contributions to make it homely greatly appreciated. BUT remember it's Granddads' shed, no chintz please.

Hope to see you all from time to time.

bluegran Sat 11-Jun-11 20:18:57

The shed sounds great, hope its got central heating, I'llbring a few cans of Guinness!

Granieee Sat 11-Jun-11 22:13:14

Hi all
I have reported the post that caused tjs to leave, it wont bring him back., but I suspect he will still lurk on this form from time to time so he will know that he has made us aware The post itself was asking for opinions, the post heading, I think, was just a book title.
I will go back and check.

Granieee Sat 11-Jun-11 22:19:15

Are there any other gandads out there, grandadbumble it going to be getting weight problems, lots of cake and no partner in crime to eat it with. Dont worry about the wine, we grans will help out with that.
Love and hugs
COME ON YOU GRAMPIES!!

pompa Sat 11-Jun-11 22:41:07

Granieee, I am here smile. Just keeping a low profile for a while. The thread you have seen, re. the children's book title, is not what upset me, I would prefer to start over. In future I will walk away from that which I am not comfortable with, perhaps I will visit that quiet place, if I am invited.

Grandadbumble will have to share the cakes !!

Notsogrand Sat 11-Jun-11 22:45:19

You don't need an invitation to the quiet corner pompa.....just turn up with a smile.

If you bring wine, even better smile

yogagran Sat 11-Jun-11 23:10:41

Welcome pompa - lovely to have your in your shed. Hope you don't mind being surrounded by all of us grannies!

pompa Sun 12-Jun-11 06:51:14

Sorry yogagran, but having so many Grannies is not good !. wink

1. I have to keep lifting the toilet seat. (guess I'll use the compost heap in future)
2. I have to keep it tidy. (that's a lie, I have never kept anywhere tidy, just ask Mrs. P)
3. I am piling on the weight with all those cakes grin

The more Grannies (cakes) the better, could do with a few more GD's though.

PoppaRob Sun 12-Jun-11 07:16:08

I saw an excellent toilet seat on TV that's spring loaded and stays up! As a bloke living alone I think it's great innovation! smile

pompa Sun 12-Jun-11 07:28:59

Did you see the watering can with a heart shape seat on top, for ladies who get caught short in the garden !!!. It was at the Chelsea show.

Annobel Sun 12-Jun-11 07:31:16

Which reminds me that a flyer for a local supermarket once advertised a 'slow motion toilet seat'. grin

baggythecrust! Sun 12-Jun-11 07:56:35

Ok, own up ladies: who else has a shewee for peeing on the compost heap. Men's pee may be better (tcha!) but we women can do our bit.

pompa Sun 12-Jun-11 08:57:28

Saw those, thought they were a great idea, tried to persuade Mrs. P (unfortunate choice of name there !) to get one for when we go walking fishing etc. She was not impressed.

pompa Fri 17-Jun-11 07:44:51

Just returned from a short trip around Kent/East Sussex exploring some of the National Trust properties. If anyone wants to visit this picturesque area , I can recommend visiting, Bodiam Castle, Sissinghurst and Great Dixter (not NT). Sissinghurst and Grest Dixter are two of the most interesting gardens I have visited, you either love or hate Great Dixter, it is so different from the norm.
The big surprise of our trip was Scotney Castle, only went there to fill in a gap in our schedule. The house was very interesting and the old castle at the bottom of the grounds was one of the most picturesque I have seen.If you have not visited it, put it on your must do list.

pompa Fri 17-Jun-11 11:49:50

Hunting around shed -- there must be a shotgun, catapult, grenade, flame thrower in here somewhere !!! Just found two heron feathers beside my pond. Now I have to get up at daybreak each morning to see if it is regularly visiting. (before I get complaints I would never shoot a heron -- the grenade is more than enough ! grin)

baggythecrust! Fri 17-Jun-11 12:40:31

I'm sure a grenade will be enough. Might spoil your pond though. If you let the heron eat all the fish, frogs, whatever, it'll go away. wink

pompa Fri 17-Jun-11 14:00:59

Ah, you have spotted the flaw in my plan !!!.

I have fishing line suspended high above the pond, I hope the feathers are from it's attempts to land, and hopefully it has frightened itself off.

Joan Mon 20-Jun-11 03:36:55

Can I put my home brew barrel in the corner please? It's been banned from the house 'cos the loud bubbling keeps us all awake. If there's room, I'll do the bottling in the shed too, so it's handy for when we need it. This week's brew is a heavy bitter, but I might do a lager next...

I once tried to make elderflower champagne in my brewing barrel, but it came out horrible and we used it to clean the drains in the end. Some of it spilled into my watercress pond, and we had some drunken frogs for a while. The cress thrived though.

pompa Mon 20-Jun-11 07:40:54

oof caus yoo can, taastss a bith fizthy thow, hic.

Annika Fri 24-Jun-11 21:49:25

Just noticed Grandads shed it seems to have every thing it could need except for some lights ,the long hot ( we hope) summer nights would not be complete with out a light in the shed, how are we going to find the wine etc, when the light starts to fade.
I have this handy put up any where sort of light which we might find useful just need to find some one tall enough to attach it to the inside of the shed wall not too high so that no one can reach to put it on nor too low to be knocked off. Any offers from tall nans .smile

pompa Fri 24-Jun-11 21:58:28

Thanks Annika, we did have some candles, but they are burning a bit low. But, we do have a small problem, nothing to hang it on, anyone got any spare nails ???

glassortwo Fri 24-Jun-11 22:00:42

No but I have got a hammer.

Annobel Fri 24-Jun-11 22:13:04

I have a step stool we can stand on, unless we find a nice tall grandad.

Notsogrand Fri 24-Jun-11 22:16:10

I've got a packet of 2 inch galvanised...will they do? I'll bring the bradawl.

Annika Fri 24-Jun-11 22:27:22

Ive got a great step stool it folds flat for easy storage., should have thought of that sooner would save us having to look for a tall grandad .
Will we be putting the kettle on for the odd cuppa or two, if so we had better sort out a milkman grin

pompa Fri 24-Jun-11 22:33:20

Job done, got the hammer, nail, steps and GD !!.

Milk - always fancied keeping a goat, anyone know how to milk it, I know it involves pulling those dangley things, but that's about all.